Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building confidence

Options
  • 13-03-2010 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭

Any tips for building confidence in larger volume waters? I'm certainly not nervous of water, but I do get nervous when I come up to the bigger waters. Even when it comes to rolling - I can roll grand in a pool but when my head hits the cold irish waters instinct takes over and I normally end up swimming.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Hi Teferi.

What worked for me was trying rolling with 2 mates.
    They made a game of the whole thing - and it worked everytime - I was more focussed on beating them - so much so that I forgot that prev when I had tried I always failed.

If the shock to the head though is the problem maybe try one of those neoprene head covers from Lidl - quite cheap but very effective. Then when you get used to that go without it.

Saying that though - it has been nearly a yr since I was last out - and dead keen on getting back out again. Mixture of health and work - bring on the waves...

Seriously though - get someone to help you in the water until you are comfortable - and each and every time you go out - try a roll first thing - you will get warm later - but at least doing it first you will still have all your energy and strength to paddle afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭christramp

Hi,
    A couple of bits you could try are -
    1. Splash your face when you get on and before every drop - yes its cold but at least you know what to expect
    2. Before every drop think about your breathing pace it and just before any rapids / drops / likely roll sections ensure you take a deep breath and exhale slowly as you go through, this will allow you enough air to catch a second roll if you miss the first
    3. Roll Roll Roll regardless how cold it is you might get ice cream head but if you get a neoprene hood as suggested this will take the worst off it
    4. Regularly roll in sections out of your comfort zone - get used to setting up with what feels like a gorilla holding onto your paddle and shaking it. Just set up someone to watch you and possible T rescue
    5. When you are in the pool get used to rolling without set up, fall awkward, get some one to push you, hold onto paddle with one hand

Its easy saying but requires a bloody determination to practice in irish rivers at this time of year, but if you roll its only your head that is cold, not all of you
    Hope some of this helps
    Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭hertz

A few other tips when on Irish rivers is use a fully dry Cag, (ones with laytex neck and cuff seals) as this will reduce the water getting down your chest when you capsize.
    Try some T rescues first with a friend on flat water. Start with 2 hands holding onto your friends boat and then use 1, the point of this is you start to use the hips more as opposed to the paddle. Very good technique to have if you don't always get the paddle in the perfect position when you setup to roll.

Be sure you are fairly tight in your kayak as this helps with the hip flicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Teferi wrote: »
    Any tips for building confidence in larger volume waters? I'm certainly not nervous of water, but I do get nervous when I come up to the bigger waters. Even when it comes to rolling - I can roll grand in a pool but when my head hits the cold irish waters instinct takes over and I normally end up swimming.

I was the exact same as you for too long I could roll grand on flat water and in a pool but as soon as I was in moving water, I would freak out and bail! In the silliest of places too like a pool at the bottom of a drop, even in eddies :o

To be honest I can't put my finger on what it was that changed. It wasn't necessarily a boost in confidence that got me rolling in white water. I think over time I realised that the hassle of being rescued, the time it takes not to mention the bruised ego was not worth it and made me more determined to suck it up and at least attempt a roll.

I don't know if you have the opportunity to do it often, but I found surfing really helped me develop a solid roll as you are capsizing alot and it's really frustrating swimming and rescuing in the surf. I still wouldn't consider myself a 'confident' paddler by any stretch, but I now know that when I do mess up I wont freak out and can set up and roll almost instinctively. For me it just took time.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭betterman

what i always done and my older brother instilled it was before setting off on a trip on sea or river i wouldnt go anywhere until i got my roll 3 times and only than would we set off. this for 1 gave me practice in my roll 2 got me use to the cold water so if i needed to roll shock would not set in and 3 it ment that i fianally could get on with the trip at hand :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement