Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A in Leaving Cert English

Options
  • 13-03-2010 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello,
    i got a B1 in English for the mocks and was wondering what sets someone apart from getting an A and B. I really want an A and im willing to work for it but i dont no what other tricks i can pull out of the bag! anybody out there get an A?? any year in higher english??? any tips , spare notes or anything???????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

im a repeat this year and got a b in my mocks but last year i got a c2 in the mocks and pulled out an A2 in the real thing.
    I think its a combination of knowing your qoutes etc and luck on the day with paper 1.
    Hope you get what you want in june though:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Hello,
    i got a B1 in English for the mocks and was wondering what sets someone apart from getting an A and B. I really want an A and im willing to work for it but i dont no what other tricks i can pull out of the bag! anybody out there get an A?? any year in higher english??? any tips , spare notes or anything???????

I get A's in English usually, still awaiting my Mock results but I believe the key thing is to build up a base of vocabulary.

Adjectives are hugely important, the next time you write something, take out the thesaurus and see if it can be expressed in a better way, then learn off those words.

Try to read more to expose yourself to great english.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

I'm pretty much the same as you. I mostly get As in English. Came out of both exams thinking I got another easy A - got a C1 in paper 2 and an A1 in paper 1, giving me a B1 altogether. My main mistake in paper 2 was not making my answer relevant to the question so make sure to always use words from the question. Make it as relevant as you can. A plan helps.

Anyway, go over your mocks and see were you fell down on. Ask your teacher for some advice etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I'm a repeat and I got an A1 in the Leaving Cert last year, and an A2 in the mock this year (considering I didn't have any of the poets covered and am completely unfamiliar with the comparative modes, I think I did alright. :p)

I guess all I can really say is answer the question. Try to make sure your grammar and spelling is up to par. Use accurate quotation. Be as analytical as you can in your answers and use the best language you know. Read as much as is humanly possible. I didn't study at all for English last year but I've always read a lot, and I think that helped. Try to read as wide a range of literature as possible, don't just stick to the one thing. Use your time wisely. Practice a load of exam questions, I'd imagine that helps a lot.
    Try to improve your vocabulary by learning, say, three new words a day. And make sure you're actually answering the question everything time.
    Good luck! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I guess all I can really say is answer the question.

It's quite odd that this needs to be pointed out, but +1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

spurious wrote: »
    It's quite odd that this needs to be pointed out, but +1.

Sometimes people dont analyse the wording well enough

P1 QB asked me to write a report for a radio show, i was ready to do it in radio format, but i think it should be a report format?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I did it in a conversational tone as if i was on the radio doing a talk show, I thought that's what it meant. I got it back and didn't lose that many marks on it. As for the A in english my teacher keeps telling us to read whatever and whenever we can and to learn quotes.

Advertisement