Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ongoing religious scandals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

- Secularists
    - The gays
    - The jews
    - The devil
    - Atheists
    - Lapsed Catholics who don't pray enough
    - "Eroticism" on the telly and the internet
    - Reduction in devotional practice and lack of reference to the gospels
    - Misinterpreting the Second Vatican Council
    - Inadequate procedures for selecting priests
    - Bad teaching in the seminaries
    - Society itself, for "favouring" the clergy and other authority figures
    - Concern for the reputation of the church
    - Church's own sins

He's getting close, guys!

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g34IG-p14KN0LEUAuWhsCEp-_-swD9FKR7700

- Secularists
    - The gays
    - The jews
    - The devil
    - Atheists
    - Lapsed Catholics who don't pray enough
    - "Eroticism" on the telly and the internet
    - Reduction in devotional practice and lack of reference to the gospels
    - Misinterpreting the Second Vatican Council
    - Inadequate procedures for selecting priests
    - Bad teaching in the seminaries
    - Society itself, for "favouring" the clergy and other authority figures
    - Concern for the reputation of the church
    - Church's own sins

He's getting close, guys!

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g34IG-p14KN0LEUAuWhsCEp-_-swD9FKR7700

Let's not forget the devil possessing bishops within the Vatican.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Add another one to that list, Dark Forces.

Oooooooooooooooohhh....................

Jokes aside, it's refreshing to see someone high up in the CC actually speaking out like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Galvasean wrote: »
    Add another one to that list, Dark Forces.

Oooooooooooooooohhh....................

Jokes aside, it's refreshing to see someone high up in the CC actually speaking out like this.

The more I hear from Diarmuid Martin the more I warm to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

legspin wrote: »
    The more I hear from Diarmuid Martin the more I warm to him.

The cynical side of me says book publication. I'd probably buy it anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Priests get away with buggering children but a nun gets excommunicated for allowing a life saving abortion

I honestly have no reaction but

DERP-megaman.jpg

Teferi wrote: »
    Priests get away with buggering children but a nun gets excommunicated for allowing a life saving abortion

She'll probably be better off in the long run. Hopefully she will find a better output for her compassio than that corrupt organisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Just out of curiousity, what else can you get "excommunicated" for?

(maybe put this in its own thread, Mod, whatever suits you:))

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

As good here as anywhere (has been mentioned before though in a countmeout thread).

Though trying to get excommunicated seems a bit like throwing a brick through the window of a police station. You've got to go to the trouble of making your 'crime' so obvious the 'authorities' can't ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Dades wrote: »
    As good here as anywhere (has been mentioned before though in a countmeout thread).

Though trying to get excommunicated seems a bit like throwing a brick through the window of a police station. You've got to go to the trouble of making your 'crime' so obvious the 'authorities' can't ignore it.

and it doesn't even get you kicked out of the church... it just means you aren't allowed to receive sacraments, might be a little shunned, you're still a member and are still technically expected to pay dues and go to mass.

• Advertisement

kiffer wrote: »
    and it doesn't even get you kicked out of the church... it just means you aren't allowed to receive sacraments, might be a little shunned, you're still a member and are still technically expected to pay dues and go to mass.

FFS not worth it so, if I'm only going to be a little shunned:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Just out of curiousity, what else can you get "excommunicated" for?

Assaulting the pope is my favorite one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

robindch wrote: »

Not good enough. The guy has been caught red handed, time for jail!
    edit: or at the very least a trial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

robindch wrote: »
    Middle aged man shags younger woman.... not all that extraordinary unless she turns out to have been below the age of consent at any stage. He wouldn't be the first philanderer to feel the wrath of a spurned ex mistress.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Via Fark, more unpleasantless, this time in Massachusetts, Jesusland, where a 15-year old girl was raped by a by a Baptist church member, was forced to apologize to congregation for being partially responsible, and was then relocated out of state to avoid the scandal, and perhaps to use the underage abortion services available there:

http://www.concordmonitor.com/article/police-girl-raped-then-relocated

Meanwhile, the girl claimed this of the leader of the religious outfit concerned:
    He told me that I should be happy that I didn't live in Old Testament times because I would have been stoned.

recedite wrote: »
    Middle aged man shags younger woman.... not all that extraordinary unless she turns out to have been below the age of consent at any stage. He wouldn't be the first philanderer to feel the wrath of a spurned ex mistress.

According to the papers today the woman in question claims it happened when she was 14. If she is telling the truth he should be locked away. If she is lying she should be in trouble (is there any legislation in this country against false rape allegations?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Galvasean wrote: »
    According to the papers today the woman in question claims it happened when she was 14. If she is telling the truth he should be locked away. If she is lying she should be in trouble (is there any legislation in this country against false rape allegations?).
    The relevant jurisdiction would be Nigeria. They don't get many unfounded rape allegations there, especially in the north where a rape victim can be stoned to death for adultery (unless the allegator happens to be speaking from the safety of somewhere like Canada). Having said that, this guy was obviously opposed to all that, being in the Christian South. Still, it puts some perspective on the affair.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/2116540.stm
    Check out the "defence" in this case; they claimed that no adultery took place because the foetus lay dormant for 2 years from before the time of the divorce!:D
    Reminds me of the old adage, never argue with an idiot because other people won't be able to tell which of you is the idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

The defense may have used the only thing it could at the time to try to stop her getting stoned to death... This is an awful state of affairs... It's not like they could admit that the baby wasn't the ex-husbands... as then she would be stoned to death... Even if she'd been raped they would still call it adultery because they are crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Coming from the priest that reminded the abused in reformetory schools were gurriers, our local priest came up with this gem yesterday, well at least it explains the RCC's 'do as we say, not do as we do"... At last

FYI: memorial mass for a relative, attendence out of respect to my family

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/new-vatican-campaign-to-clamp-down-on-liberal-opinion-2210401.html

VATICAN investigators to Ireland appointed by Pope Benedict XVI are to clamp down on liberal secular opinion in an intensive drive to re-impose traditional respect for clergy, according to informed sources in the Catholic Church.
    The nine-member team led by two cardinals will be instructed by the Vatican to restore a traditional sense of reverence among ordinary Catholics for their priests, the Irish Independent has learned.

It seems the church wants us to return to the "traditional" sense of reverence of the clergy i.e, don't question us. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

It seems the church wants us to return to the "traditional" sense of reverence of the clergy i.e, don't question us. :rolleyes:
    Wasn't that one of the things he listed as causing the whole mess in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Please please please let's laugh them out of the country. Anyway, what does it matter? All the priests will be dead in a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Irlandese

mikhail wrote: »
    Wasn't that one of the things he listed as causing the whole mess in the first place?
    Yes it was.
    But, they obviously think the stink has gone away and Cardinal Brady's holding on to his
    seat has helped cloak ratty very effectively from having to go himself.
    "Catholics of the world unite etc etc "
    "Come-for-tea my people"

And here they are sticking their oar in again over the Civil Partnership bill.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0617/marriage.html

They'd like it put to a free vote among the most useless members of society - TD's and Senators:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Don't they realise they could marry each other if the went through? :pac:

Dades wrote: »
    Don't they realise they could marry each other if the went through? :pac:

I don't think the clergy would be comfortable if their sexual partners were of consenting age, ie able to say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

Fair play to John Gormley and his comments in that article about civil partnerships. "I thought the days of church interference were behind us." Sticking it to the fictional man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

I wonder how they'd react if it was suggested they then allow priests to follow their conscience in what messages they preach?
    Priests will be told not to question in public official church teaching on controversial issues such as the papal ban on birth control or the admission of divorced Catholics living with new partners to the sacraments -- especially Holy Communion.

I guess that answers that question.

Advertisement