Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ongoing religious scandals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Sorry !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

recedite wrote: »
    You have a point there. How about this one;
    Good news for this Iranian woman accused of adultery. Looks like she will get off with being hanged instead of being stoned to death by the prison guards, while buried up to her neck in the ground. :mad::mad:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/09/iran-blackout-over-stoning-sentence-woman

But Sharia law is god's law, and who are we to question it.

Nice to see that Islam is such a civilised religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Nice to see that Islam is such a civilised religion.
    It is just a couple of hundred years behind christianity in that respect. Perhaps, like christianity, in it might be able to change and become civilised, or at least give the appearance of it.

MrP

Independent, sorry.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/priest-told-boy-he-wouldnt-go-to-heaven-if-abuse-reported-2257287.html

Nice one, rape them and then threaten them with hell, yes, this is an organisation I want to take my moral guidance from.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Think this article says it all - wonder will HE ever stand trial

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/rapeprobe-priest-fights-extradition-2072730.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

maringo wrote: »
    Think this article says it all - wonder will HE ever stand trial

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/rapeprobe-priest-fights-extradition-2072730.html
    Fr Markey is wanted in Ireland to face two charges of allegedly twice raping a 15-year-old boy during the Sixties, once on a trip to Galway and a second time after the funeral of the alleged victim's father
    What type of f'ucked up animals are these guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

This enterprising Arab was exposed after posing as a roundhead;
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2010/0723/1224275297852.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Jebus the world's gone mad.

So a man who tells porkies to have his way with lady is now guilty of rape? Even the type of lady who does it with strangers she just met in a deserted building?

They're are bad as each other yonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Scary precedent. Imagine if every man ever to tell a fib to get a woman into bed with him was found to be guilty of rape!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

Reminds me of that Sam Cooke song Talkin' Trash...
    Honey, when he promised you that fur coat
    A baby could have seen through that
    Now you were the believer, he wasn't the deceiver
    He was just talkin' trash

Now when he promised you the fur coat that day
    He was just tryin' to make things go his way
    And honey, you were the believer, he wasn't the deceiver
    He was just talkin' trash

• Advertisement

posing as a roundhead;
    My mistake, I had forgotten that Muslim men are also circumcised.:o Really they should come to an agreement with Jews whereby one side gives it up. That would avert this sort of misunderstanding in future.

Dades wrote: »
    Jebus the world's gone mad.

So a man who tells porkies to have his way with lady is now guilty of rape? Even the type of lady who does it with strangers she just met in a deserted building?

They're are bad as each other yonder.
    Not sure about Ireland but the UK has a similar offence. It actually makes sense when you think about it. How can a woman consent to sex when she the person she is giving consent to is not who or what she thinks?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

MrPudding wrote: »
    Not sure about Ireland but the UK has a similar offence. It actually makes sense when you think about it. How can a woman consent to sex when she the person she is giving consent to is not who or what she thinks?

MrP

At that rate of going we might as well consider women wearing makeup as potential rapists also:

With Makeup..........................................Without Makeup
    beforeAfter_5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

MrPudding wrote: »

MrP

What are the details of the offence in the UK, MrP?

Can men shout rape if women are ensnare a man wearing high-heels, hair extensions, push-up bras &/or tummy flattening under-garments?

Surely only the fact a woman was/wasn't forced to have sex against her will/knowledge should be a factor in rape - whether she is stupid enough to fall for yarns being spun for the express purpose of getting into her knickers should be her own responsibility. :confused:

They say the best form of contraception is a fake name. Oh well, shall we go to jail so?

The guy never claimed to be Jewish. He just said his name was David and she assumed he was Jewish. Then they bonked.

And, as mentioned previously, the "victim" was the type to bonk strangers in deserted buildings.

She was just aghast to discover the stranger was a different stranger to the one she thought she was bonking. :pac:

Benny puts his foot in it again. This time he forgets to include women as 'Friends of Jesus'
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/popes-book-on-jesus-edited-out-women/story-e6frg6so-1225898192849

Galvasean wrote: »
    Benny puts his foot in it again. This time he forgets to include women as 'Friends of Jesus'
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/popes-book-on-jesus-edited-out-women/story-e6frg6so-1225898192849
    Perhaps they couldn't find a polite way of referring to Mary Magdalene, except as Jesus' "Special Lady Friend".

"Father Federico Lombardi, the Pope's spokesman, said the book was put together by an editor but admitted that the Pope had sanctioned the use of his name, Benedetto XVI, on the cover."

Maybe the Pope should have read it first.
    Like God should have read the bible before He allowed them to market it as the Word of God.

She was just aghast to discover the stranger was a different stranger to the one she thought she was bonking. :pac:
    they don't come much stranger than Tim Minchin....but he may have a better solution than my unilateral foreskin retention proposal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

"Oh dear . . . how profoundly disappointing. Can this really be true that he edited out Mary Magdalene, the first 'friend' to see the risen Lord?"

I dont know whether to laugh or do the real-life rolleyes! :rolleyes:

What are the details of the offence in the UK, MrP?

Can men shout rape if women are ensnare a man wearing high-heels, hair extensions, push-up bras &/or tummy flattening under-garments?

Surely only the fact a woman was/wasn't forced to have sex against her will/knowledge should be a factor in rape - whether she is stupid enough to fall for yarns being spun for the express purpose of getting into her knickers should be her own responsibility. :confused:
    Sorry for the delay, I've not checked this thread for a while. It is really not quite that bad. Having reread it the legislation, 2003 Sexual Offences Act, it is not as bad as I first thought. The particular offence relates to misleading someone into thinking you are someone they already know. For example, at a party a woman is a little drunk and goes to lie down, a person enters the room and she believes it to be her husband or boyfriend, either because he intentionally pretends to be or she is mistaken and he does not correct her mistake, that is rape, even though the sex was consensual.

Currently being taken in by tales of sports cars and yachts is not grounds for rape. I think it is conceivable that at some point an attempt will be made to negate consent on the basis that it was given under conditions where the person was mislead, and with the right judge it might even work.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Metalfan

Perhaps they couldn't find a polite way of referring to Mary Magdalene, except as Jesus' "Special Lady Friend".

"wife" would probably suffice

"housekeeper" is the usual clerical term.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭furiousox

From www.bbc.co.uk

"Pope Benedict XVI has not accepted the resignations of two Irish bishops who resigned at Christmas.
    Eamonn Walsh and Raymond Field announced their resignations on Christmas Eve 2009.
    The pair, who were both auxiliary bishops of Dublin, said they hoped their resignations would help bring peace to the victims of sexual abuse.
    They were bishops during the period covered by the Murphy Commission which examined abuse in the Dublin diocese."

Maybe it's ''an ecumenical matter Ted'' but this seems to be yet another slap in the face for the abuse victims?

I'm really starting to feel angry towards the people who troop into churches every Sunday like sheep.
    How can they support this vile institution in good conscience?

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

How the hell does that work?

"Hey boss, I'm handing in my notice I'm quitting in two weeks"
    "Well I'm not accepting it."
    "Er ok but I eh won't be here after two weeks"
    "Yes you will"
    "Ok ya nutter

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

ShooterSF wrote: »
    How the hell does that work?

"Hey boss, I'm handing in my notice I'm quitting in two weeks"
    "Well I'm not accepting it."
    "Er ok but I eh won't be here after two weeks"
    "Yes you will"
    "Ok ya nutter

I always wondered that too :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

This will backfire on Martin now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Nemi

furiousox wrote: »
    I'm really starting to feel angry towards the people who troop into churches every Sunday like sheep.
    How can they support this vile institution in good conscience?
    Are they still crowding in? I think they're getting the message.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

While the Catholic Church control most of the schools in this country, people will be seen to go to mass, to listen to the hypocrisy from the pulpit.

Advertisement