Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ongoing religious scandals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Two child sex abuse complaints made against former Catholic Archbishop of Dublin John Charles McQuaid.

It was already well known that this guy interfered generally in the running of the State during the 1950's/1960's, and was responsible for scuppering plans to bring in free healthcare for single mothers. He forced one of the few honest politicians we had, Dr. Noel Browne, out of office when as Minister for Health he attempted to bring in progressive legslation known as the Mother and Child Scheme.

It was assumed up till now that McQuaid did this just because he was "a bit of a fascist", but if it turns out he was also a paedophile, then that puts a whole new spin on his motives. If most single mothers had been enabled to keep their children, the supply of "fresh meat" to the RCC institutions would have quickly dried up.
    Remember this was not even a cash single parents allowance that he objected to; it was just free maternity care outside of the nuns clutches, and free healthcare for the baby.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

recedite wrote: »
    It was already well known that this guy interfered generally in the running of the State during the 1950's/1960's
    He was at it a long time before then.

Through his friendship with Dev (they were both teachers at Blackrock College, though not at the same time), it's believed that McQuaid drafted much of the religious content of the current Irish Constitution. This excellent book:

http://www.obrien.ie/book464.cfm

is likely to be the definitive work on McQuaid and he comes out of it looking like a highly intelligent guy who chose to hide enormous personal emptiness by devoting himself to the propagation of catholicism at any social price. The allegation of child abuse is mentioned briefly, but it's jarring in the context of the rest of the book and probably should have been omitted, given the evidence available to the author.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Arcus Arrow

Encounter of the queasy kind with Charlie McQuaid

When Catholics Attack! Two devotees of Rome took exception to the regular group of protesters outside the Pro Cathedral who were collecting signatures calling for a proper memorial to the victims of the CCL. A fair few of the people who went into the church signed the petition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭jobee

koth wrote: »
    Megachurch Leader Steps Down After Sex Accusations

http://www.leicestersecularsociety.org.uk/newsletter/secularist_201111_34.pdf

• Moderators Posts: 51,774 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

From the Irish Times.
    The Catholic hierarchy still doesn't get it

WHAT GOES around comes around, even if it takes 22 years. The Review of Safeguarding Practice – Archdiocese of Tuam, published last week by the National Board for Safeguarding Children (NBSC), notes that before 1995 “the cases showed a lack of awareness of the suffering caused to victims by abusers”.

I am amazed by this statement because the effects of abuse on children were explained in no uncertain terms to the Archbishop of Tuam in the late 1980s. This came about because of a child protection project initiated by managers in the old Western Health Board (WHB) who were worried about the growing numbers of children disclosing sexual abuse.

A colleague and I spent six months exploring best practice in the UK and the US, and meeting social workers, parents, teachers and school inspectors. We developed an eight-lesson programme for primary schools with children’s worksheets. These were illustrated in comic-book style, with drawings of how people in their lives might sexually assault them and who they could tell, depending on the situation. The lessons listed the people who are most likely to sexually abuse children, in this order, fathers, uncles, grandfathers, priests and babysitters. “Stranger danger” was only briefly referred to, as there was, and still is, very little danger of a child being sexually assaulted by a stranger.

The teachers’ manual had information on the prevalence of child sexual abuse, its effects on children, and what to do if a child disclosed abuse. When we were ready to pilot the programme, two schools were recruited – one urban, one rural – and boards of management, teachers and parents gave their approval. Managers of the WHB were behind it. Bishop Casey of Galway was consulted. He referred us to the Archbishop of Tuam, who had the final say in any programme for primary schools in his area.

A colleague and I met the archbishop in 1989. We explained the programme and why it was necessary. After reading the classroom materials, his first words were, “This is dynamite.” His second words were, “No, I am not going to approve the programme. Things like this didn’t happen.” The NBSC reviewed Tuam cases going back to 1975, so the Archbishop knew that these things did happen. We felt powerless and angry because children in the west were going to be denied the chance of being protected from sexual predators.

Parents and teachers who had put so much effort into the development of the programme were angry. Even the health board, which had a duty to protect children when parents didn’t, could do nothing.

Shortly after this episode, the Stay Safe Programme was introduced into primary schools. While this is a good programme, it is not explicit enough about sexual assaults by people well known to the child. Stay Safe puts the onus on the child to recognise when they feel safe and to anticipate potentially dangerous situations. This is too much responsibility for a small child. The WHB’s programme was explicit and put the onus on adults to take responsibility for children’s safety.

More than 20 years on, the problem of children being sexually assaulted by people they know is still not being debated openly. Children are not learning about this in schools. Had the WHB programme been approved by the Catholic Church, the Roscommon child abuse case, and others, might have been prevented.

The language used in Ireland to describe sexual crimes against children minimises and denies the reality, particularly the language used by the Catholic hierarchy and the media. Following the publication of the reviews last week, the newspapers were full of “sincere apologies”. Bishop Boyce offered “humble apologies”. Bishop Daly is “profoundly ashamed” of the wrong done to children. Bishop O’Reilly spoke about “wrongdoing by church personnel” and the NBSC noted he is now “aware of and sensitive to these issues”.

Really! After several decades we must be thankful for small mercies. The words crime, sexual predators and criminals are seldom used by either the media or the hierarchy. Language directs our thinking, and human freedom begins when things that happen to people are described accurately. Calling something “wrongdoing” mutes and denies the effects of these terrible crimes.

The Catholic hierarchy still doesn’t get it, which is why we need to remove their power to decide what will be taught in primary schools. After 22 years, I am delighted to add my experience to the record.

Source

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

jobee wrote: »
    jobee, I see you're back but if you don't want a permanent vacation then don't post random PDF links into the middle of a thread without at least explaining how it might be relevant. This isn't an invitation to discuss, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Dades wrote: »
    jobee, I see you're back but if you don't want a permanent vacation then don't post random PDF links into the middle of a thread without at least explaining how it might be relevant. This isn't an invitation to discuss, btw.

He's got one of his famous poems in it. Most bizarre guerilla plug ever.

Encounter of the queasy kind with Charlie McQuaid

He has an interesting cross around his neck in the photo, (presumably the one he liked to "finger" while interviewing small boys). Not being invited around to the palace too often, I have no idea whether other archbishops wear the same type of patriarchal cross, but according to wiki "Unlike the Christian cross, the symbolism and meaning of the double cross is not well understood. One interpretation is that the first horizontal line symbolized the secular power and the other horizontal line the ecclesiastic power of Byzantine emperors". ;)

recedite wrote: »
    He has an interesting cross around his neck in the photo, (presumably the one he liked to "finger" while interviewing small boys). Not being invited around to the palace too often, I have no idea whether other archbishops wear the same type of patriarchal cross, but according to wiki "Unlike the Christian cross, the symbolism and meaning of the double cross is not well understood. One interpretation is that the first horizontal line symbolized the secular power and the other horizontal line the ecclesiastic power of Byzantine emperors". ;)

I met one guy who was brought to see McQuaid because he was on the mithc all the time. McQuaid eventually started asking him (an 11 year old at the time) questions about erections.

I don't know what kind of cross he was wearing but they have a whole catalogue to pick from;
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXl5v2q03fDRul5If3NU5GoLy_DozK0WoD9_7A1T41kYyrhyOx_Q

Order now for Gitmass!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16216174
    Tens of thousands of children have suffered sexual abuse in Dutch Catholic institutions since 1945, a report says.

The report by an independent commission said Catholic officials had failed to tackle the widespread abuse at schools, seminaries and orphanages.

Based on a survey of more than 34,000 people, the report estimates that one in five children in Catholic institutions suffered abuse.

Allegations of abuse at a school in the east Netherlands triggered the inquiry.

The commission began work in August 2010 and studied 1,800 reports of abuse at Catholic institutions. It has identified 800 alleged perpetrators, just over 100 of whom are still alive.

"The problem of sexual abuse was known in the orders and dioceses of the Dutch Catholic Church," the commission says, according to news agency AFP, "but the appropriate actions were not undertaken."

The inquiry sought to uncover what had gone on and how it had happened, and examined what kind of justice should be offered to victims.

It estimated that one in 10 Dutch children had suffered some form of abuse, rising to one in five among those who had attended a Catholic institution.

Last month the Dutch branch of the Catholic Church set up a sliding compensation system based on the severity of abuse suffered, offering compensation of between 5,000 and 100,000 euros (£4,200-£84,000; $6,500-130,000).

The commission's findings have been keenly awaited by the Dutch population, 29% of whom are identified as Catholic, the BBC's Anna Holligan reports from The Hague.

Another report showing the all too familiar pattern of endemic abuse and inaction that allowed it to continue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

One in five!

That's appalling.

Sarky wrote: »
    One in five!

That's appalling.

...and given the power of the CCL to use it's influence to make sure most of their crimes are covered up, what is appalling to anyone who fears for the children of the world, is also only scratching the surface.

If they can get away with such things in countries all across the globe where they have influence and power what then goes on in the Vatican where their writ is absolute.

I wonder if a map of all reported child abductions over a period of a decade was made would the clusters be at their thickest around Rome.

...and given the power of the CCL to use it's influence to make sure most of their crimes are covered up, what is appalling to anyone who fears for the children of the world, is also only scratching the surface.

If they can get away with such things in countries all across the globe where they have influence and power what then goes on in the Vatican where their writ is absolute.

I wonder if a map of all reported child abductions over a period of a decade was made would the clusters be at their thickest around Rome.

Quite frankly, I'm amazed that thousands of Irish people are still contributing to this cess pit called the catholic church. With the economy at rock bottom, all monies should be ploughed back into the Irish economy.

Quite frankly, I'm amazed that thousands of Irish people are still contributing to this cess pit called the catholic church. With the economy at rock bottom, all monies should be ploughed back into the Irish economy.

I think the recession may well be to the advantage of the CCL. They have tax free status and can move money around at will through it's vast network. It's supported by millionaires across the globe. It may even come out of the recession with greater assets than ever.

There is some peasant like gene that survives in the Irish that defers to the CCL no matter what. Around where I live I've watched one of the neighbours, Dinah Dry Dock, a tall woman, dusty haired, who at 58 is still a virgin (hence the name). She helps on the altar in the church for funerals and mass and such. She also collects those little white envelops that ya stick your parish dues into. Out of 35 houses she is down to 4 envelopes. One of the people who returns his envelope is an atheist.

Wasn't sure where to post this. Mods, feel free to a more appropriate place if needed.

Double lives for gay teachers in Ireland
    Gay, lesbian or bisexual teachers in many Irish schools -- which are still dominated by the Catholic Church -- risk discrimination or even the sack if they reveal their sexuality, thanks to a law that permits religious employers to penalize employees for actions undermining their religious standards.

"When you are in the school system, you are caught up in the ethos of the school, you are caught up in the silence," said Leo Kilroy, 34, who used to teach in a Catholic-run primary school in Dublin's inner city.

"You are aware that if you come out as a gay or a lesbian you may experience discrimination. Your very existence in that post is up for challenge."

The Church has been toppled from its once pre-eminent position in Irish life thanks to rising prosperity, membership of the European Union, the shift from farm to city and wave after wave of sex abuse scandals. Ireland's recent decision to close its embassy in the Vatican brought relations to a historic low.

But the Church's influence is still profound in two key areas -- schools and family law, which is governed by a constitution still bearing the legacy of Ireland's Catholic past.

More than nine in ten primary schools and half of all high schools are run by the Church. The boards of such schools are typically chaired by a parish priest and, although the state pays the teachers' salaries, the Church still has a say in enrolment and recruitment.

Kilroy came out as a gay man in his late 20s after he left his teaching post.

He now lecturers trainee teachers and is treasurer of a group representing lesbian, gay and bisexual primary school teachers. It has 45 members out of a sector with an estimated 31,000 employees.

"One of the reasons that I was freer to come out was because I was free of the school system. A gay and lesbian person in a staff room has to censor themselves," he said.

"I know of gay teachers who have been passed over for promotion, they have been verbally abused and discriminated against and had to suffer jokes about gay or lesbian people."

CHANGING ATTITUDES

Up until 1993, it was a crime to commit a homosexual act in Ireland -- anal sex could land you in prison for life.

Before that, most people opted to hide their sexuality. Gay pride parades in 1980s Dublin were paltry affairs, attracting a few hundred people and the odd bigot shouting taunts about AIDS.

Attitudes have changed dramatically since then. This year's gay pride event attracted 25,000 people, the second-largest procession in the country after the St. Patrick's' Day Parade.

Polls show a majority of the public are in favor of gay marriage, including many practicing Catholics.

"The Lord made them that way. They should have equal rights," said Ita Phelan, 91, on her way into Sunday Mass at Dublin's main Roman Catholic church.

But in many classrooms, where about half an hour of daily religious instruction and a crucifix on the wall are the norm, not much has changed.

Patrick Dempsey used to pretend to be sick to avoid going into school in Dublin's south inner city.

"From first year right up until I left I had to deal with bullying, name-calling, being afraid to walk down a corridor.

"When you know someone is going to call you a ****** or a queer and you know you are going to be embarrassed in front of 30 or so odd people you are going to want to avoid that at all cost."

The 19-year-old eventually dropped out of the Catholic-run school in his final year in frustration at how the staff was ignoring the problem.

"I think it came down to the ethos of the school because it was a Catholic school they didn't have a specific policy towards homophobic bullying," he said.

"It was so open in the school it was unbelievable. Homophobic language was used by one of the teachers."

RELATIVELY RELIGIOUS

While it has followed other European countries in legislating for divorce and contraception, Ireland is still a relatively religious country with church weddings and funerals the norm and baptism still considered a natural rite of passage.

The Irish government consulted the archbishop of Dublin in 1937 when drafting the constitution. A clause recognizing the special position of the Catholic Church was removed in the early 1970s but the first line of the charter still reads "In the name of the most Holy Trinity" and there is a reference to the role of the woman in the home.

"Whilst we are becoming more liberal and there is a growing appetite for a more secular approach to policymaking we still don't see very strong secularism coming out of the main political parties," said Theresa Reidy, a lecturer in politics at University College Cork.

"They are slow in moving in a completely secular direction."

Prime Minister Enda Kenny's ruling coalition has pledged to look at the possibility of constitutional change to allow for gay marriage, which opinion polls show is favored by a majority of the public, and wants to reduce the number of schools that fall under the Catholic Church's remit.

But with the government focused on trying to steer Ireland out of financial crisis, the last thing Kenny wants to do is tackle contentious social issues, and the idea of cutting back on the church role in schools is likely to suffer from a shortage of funds.

His government has yet to introduce a law clarifying when abortion is legal in Ireland, a year after the European Court of Human Rights ruled that the lack of legislation was violating women's human rights.

And it has made only a vague reference to examine the threat hanging over gay and lesbian teachers from the employment legislation, which allows religious employers to take actions which are "reasonably necessary" to ensure employees or prospective employees do not undermine their religious ethos.

A QUIET REVOLUTION

Nowadays, teenagers are more comfortable about coming out. Most of the callers to Dublin-based gay youth services group BeLonG To are aged between 14 and 15 compared to 19 and 20 when it was first set up nearly nine years ago.

"There is a quiet revolution going on out there. The numbers of young people coming to BeLonG To have more than doubled each year for the last three. It's quite phenomenal," said Michael Barron, the group's co-founder.

More than 2,500 people got involved with the organization's youth group this year and tens of thousands contacted it via email.

Barron works with schools to raise awareness about lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender issues and to campaign against homophobic bullying, which he describes as a huge problem.

The attitude of the schools' management boards and principals, the vast majority of whom are no longer nuns or priests, is key.

"Some of the best schools we have worked with have been religious schools but it certainly poses a barrier overall," said Barron. It is not unheard of for teachers to tell pupils homosexuality is sinful.

"The educational system still has that Catholic legacy and in some cases it's more than a legacy it's still how things are taught," said Barron.

"We would know of many gay teachers who aren't out in schools. It is an issue. Those gay teachers could provide vital role-modeling for young people, particularly a young person who is struggling, who thinks they are the only gay or transgender young person in the world."

LOVE BUT NO MARRIAGE

For Feargha Ni Bhroin, being a lesbian isn't an issue at the non-religious vocational college where she teaches. The problem is at home.

Ni Bhroin and her partner, Linda Cullen, are stuck in legal limbo since becoming parents to twin girls.

Under Irish law, Cullen has no relationship with her daughters because she is not their biological mother. She cannot adopt them or be their guardian and she is not named on their birth certificates.

"If we separated I would have no rights, and more importantly the children have no rights on me, so I wouldn't have to pay maintenance or anything if I didn't want to," said the Dubliner, who runs a television production company.

Legislation unveiled last year gives same-sex couples who register as civil partners the same financial entitlements as married heterosexual couples but not full equality. That means children of same sex couples, even those who chose to enter a civil partnership, are not protected by the law.

"The children know I am their mother. I am up with them at 3, 4, 5 in the morning. But the law doesn't."

Reuters.com

muppeteer wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16216174

Another report showing the all too familiar pattern of endemic abuse and inaction that allowed it to continue.

Indeed, and when are we going to make heads roll.

Indeed, and when are we going to make heads roll.

One head that did roll.

Goodbye

Usama Bin Laden

Usama Bin Laden was born in Riyadh in 1957. He is said to be the 17th of 52 children by Yemeni born Muhammad Bin Laden, Saudi Arabia's wealthiest construction magnate with close ties to King Faisal of Saudi Arabia. After his father's death in 1968 Usama Bin Laden inherited some estimated $300 million

The Camp David peace accords between Egypt and Israel, the overthrow of the Shah of Iran and the subsequent creation of a ‘shiite’ Islamic regime , plus, the soviet invasion of Afghanistan changed the young man's perception of the world. "I was enraged," he told the newspaper ‘Al Quds Al Arabi.’

Usamah Bin Laden.

Saudi Arabia the place of his birth
    his father seemingly ruling the earth
    the construction business brought him fame
    wealth, power, in this Arab domain.

52 children his father would sire
    bricks and mortar not his only desire
    the Sunni religion instilled in them all
    they considered it better than Peter,Paul

Young Usama tired of it all
    wealth and luxury was not his call
    he decided that fame was his game
    and Sunni fame his ultimate aim.

Free thinking Russians he started on first
    Infidals all! was his first outburst
    if your not Sunni your nothing at all
    no think no fun no having a ball.

Slapping the deck five times a day
    then babying women, going astray
    up to the hills shouting the odds
    bombing killing playing at gods

Killing all no question asked
    Christians, Muslims, all stood aghast
    we went through this centuries ago
    inquistions, burnings, they had to forego.

He eventually met an American elite
    out of the sky, in his secret retreat
    guns ablaze, nowhere to run
    his wasted life was finally done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0Qu6eyyr4c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys41jnL2Elk

http://www.crosswalk.com/special-covera ... 11-01.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/nat ... story.html

http://www.leicestersecularsociety.org. ... hawtin.htm

Jobee -- can you please contribute something worth reading?

robindch wrote: »
    Jobee -- can you please contribute something worth reading?

I did, alas, you seem to know it all, what can anyone do in the presence of another almighty being.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I did...
    Eh, no.

Replying to your own posts makes for bad reading for everyone, and poetry belongs in the Creative Writing Forum, not here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Dades wrote: »
    Eh, no.

Replying to your own posts makes for bad reading for everyone, and poetry belongs in the Creative Writing Forum, not here.

The response there was much like the response here. Also, bear in mind that he started a separate thread for each poem...

MOD EDIT:

jobee on another long holiday.

Nothing to see here.

My Brilliant Dog. [...] never asks me to pick up its poo, [...]
    Presumably Leicester city mods have to clean up after you there.

Anyhow, for ignoring a mod request and posting what I can only describe as doggerel, you have earned the distinction of the first forum member to receive a mod-sponsored holiday in 2012!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

The pope has accepted the early resignation of a Los Angeles bishop who recently acknowledged being the father of two teenagers.

Rest of the story is here.

Note: the archdiocese has offered spiritual and financial aid to help the children with college costs.

Don't know whether to laugh or cry at that offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

http://www.humanism.org.uk/news/view/961
    The British Humanist Association (BHA) has welcomed a new revision of the model funding agreement for Free Schools by the Government in order to preclude ‘the teaching, as an evidence-based view or theory, of any view or theory that is contrary to established scientific and/or historical evidence and explanations.’ This highly significant change has been made in order to ban creationism from being taught in Free Schools, and prevent creationist groups from opening schools. The change follows the BHA coordinating the ‘Teach evolution, not creationism!’ campaign, which called for this precise change.
    In September, the BHA came together with thirty leading scientists and science educators including Sir David Attenborough, Professor Richard Dawkins and Professor Michael Reiss, and five national organisations to launch ‘Teach evolution, not creationism!’, which called on the government to introduce statutory guidance against the teaching of creationism and garnered significant press coverage. The BHA also launched a government e-petition making the same call, which has now garnered over 20,000 signatures.
    In subsequent written correspondence with civil servants, the BHA stated that ‘Our concern is for the government to make absolutely clear that there is no chance it will ever accept [creationist Free School] bids, or allow any state-funded school to teach creationism as science, anywhere in the curriculum, and this is only possible through a change in the law… we would support any adjustment to the model funding agreement to add a statement [to this effect]… Could we request that the next time the [Free School] model funding agreement is reviewed, our desire for this point’s inclusion is considered?’
    BHA Chief Executive Andrew Copson commented, ‘We congratulate the government for taking this significant step to prevent creationist Free Schools. There is still further work to be done to ensure that all schools, not just Free Schools, are prevented from teaching creationism, to include evolution in the primary National Curriculum, and to ensure evolution’s teaching in all schools. We look forward to working with the government and all those who care about rational and evidence based education to achieve these additional changes.’

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Cool. The only petition I have ever signed* and it worked. Petitions are 100% effective and the most powerful tool available to man. All hail the petition. Hmmm, sweet, sweet confirmation bias.

MrP

*As far as I rememmber.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Sir David Attenborough, Professor Richard Dawkins and Professor Michael Reiss,

The guy who built Jurassic Park, the king of the Atheist Church and the guy who defeated the Terminator... how could they lose?

Galvasean wrote: »
    the guy who defeated the Terminator...

Eh??

German priest admits to 280 instances of child sex abuse
    A Catholic priest admitted to a German court on Thursday that he sexually abused three boys over several years, amounting to a total of 280 cases.

The priest, identified as 46-year-old Andreas L. from the city of Salzgitter in Lower Saxony, confessed to charges of sexually abusing the boys, who ranged from nine to 15 years old. The abuse began in 2004, he said.

Instances of abuse occurred at a parsonage, on ski vacations, at the parents' home, on a trip to Disneyland in Paris and at a church shortly before Mass.

The priest told the regional court in Braunschweig that while working as a chaplain in the same city in 2004, he began a close relationship with a widowed woman. When he was moved to Salzgitter, the woman's nine-year-old son often spent weekends with the man, who would take him on short trips away. The abuse occurred on several occasions, often three times per weekend.

The suspect said it was not his intention to get close to the boy sexually, and that it never occurred to him that he was harming them.

"I did not have the impression that he didn't want it," he said.

When the mother began to suspect her son's interactions with the priest were inappropriately close, she approached the diocese of Hildesheim, the priest's employer, which forbid further contact with the boy.

Victims two and three

The two other boys named as victims by the priest were brothers, and the abuse began under similar circumstances. When contact with them was also forbidden, the priest approached his first victim, then 17, who in turn told his mother about the abuse.

The mother then went to the authorities, and the suspect was arrested last summer. The court set the maximum sentence for the priest at six and a half years.

A long series of sexual abuse scandals involving Catholic priests in Germany is believed to have contributed to Germans leaving the Church in record numbers. Some 180,000 Germans renounced their Catholicism in 2010, up 40 percent from the previous year.

Pope Benedict XVI met with victims of clerical sexual abuse during a visit to his native Germany in September, expressing his deep regret. The German Catholic Church faces some 600 claims for compensation because of abuse, and Berlin has set up a fund of 100 million euros ($128 million) to pay for the victims' therapy.
    Source

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,704 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The abuse began in 2004

The RCC here like to think that this is all just a historical issue, maybe they're forgetting that it can often take many years before those abused are able to report / speak out about it.

If they think there was no abuse after some arbitrary cut-off date in the 90s, they're fooling themselves.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement