Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ongoing religious scandals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Why aren't our Catholic churches being bankrupted by legal costs?

Bloody Americans. They get everything. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Gbear wrote: »

You know why your churches are not bankrupt?
    Because they are cute hoors, that's why.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Insurance...?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

MrPudding wrote: »
    Insurance...?

MrP

"So you want cover against being sued for molesting children, then covering it up for years?"
    "Yes, please."
    "Any particular reason for this?"
    "Gooby, pls"
    217252.png

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

"So you want cover against being sued for molesting children, then covering it up for years?"
    "Yes, please."
    "Any particular reason for this?"
    "Gooby, pls"
    217252.png

I can hear the 'No Nonsense' ad for it now:

'I'll just get your details, I take it Father Michael you're male'

'Um..yeah'.

'*giggle* ok ..and how many children have you abused?'

'16...'

'Oh my sweet divine....and did you try and cover it up?

' for 25 years...'

'OH YES! KA-CHING!'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Woods_%28politician%29#Controversies

mikhail wrote: »

For something so blatantly corrupt I wonder would there be some recourse for legal action against him down the line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

For something so blatantly corrupt I wonder would there be some recourse for legal action against him down the line?

You'd have to show he broke a law.

Nodin wrote: »
    You'd have to show he broke a law.

It certainly doesn't sit well with me. It's a pretty clear conflict of interest.

If a TD pulled strings and got his buddy planning permission when he shouldn't have then I would think that would constitute something illegal, no?

• Advertisement

It certainly doesn't sit well with me. It's a pretty clear conflict of interest.

If a TD pulled strings and got his buddy planning permission when he shouldn't have then I would think that would constitute something illegal, no?

It would, but you'd have to prove that he shouldn't have got it etc. Its notoriously hard to prove corruption unless you have very, very comprehensive legislation that covers each and every eventuality, which we don't. When comes to Woods, its made more difficult again, because theres no clear gain in it for him in terms of cash, favours etc. The fact that its obviously dubious unfortunately means nothing. And, were legislation to be brought in, it couldn't be retrospective.

The best that could be hoped for would be that the agreement could be found not to be binding on the government as some procedure wasn't followed or box ticked. I'd imagine theres the same chance of that happening as there is of seeing Woods in the dock.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Nodin wrote: »
    It would, but you'd have to prove that he shouldn't have got it etc. Its notoriously hard to prove corruption unless you have very, very comprehensive legislation that covers each and every eventuality, which we don't. When comes to Woods, its made more difficult again, because theres no clear gain in it for him in terms of cash, favours etc. The fact that its obviously dubious unfortunately means nothing. And, were legislation to be brought in, it couldn't be retrospective.

The best that could be hoped for would be that the agreement could be found not to be binding on the government as some procedure wasn't followed or box ticked. I'd imagine theres the same chance of that happening as there is of seeing Woods in the dock.
    Just cancel the deal. The church hasn't even paid the pitiful amount they agreed to. It seems arguable that this is a repudatory breach, thereby making the agreement void.

Of course, we would then need to tackle the small matter of the church transferring assets to sham trusts to allow them to plead poverty.

MrP

Just cancel the deal. The church hasn't even paid the pitiful amount they agreed to. It seems arguable that this is a repudatory breach, thereby making the agreement void.

Of course, we would then need to tackle the small matter of the church transferring assets to sham trusts to allow them to plead poverty.

MrP

Of course it's one thing Enda talking a good game and giving out about the church - it's quite another chasing them for €1bn.

I wouldn't say none of the current lot in the Dail would do it (if they could, as individuals), but I can't see it happening. Many of the younger crop of FG are as conservative as their predecessors in the party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The majority of people in this country did not want to see the local branch of the RCC going bankrupt. They would rather the State become indebted to the IMF for the €1.35 billion. Sad but true. In that situation, Woods was just acting as an elected representative of the people.

recedite wrote: »
    The majority of people in this country did not want to see the local branch of the RCC going bankrupt. They would rather the State become indebted to the IMF for the €1.35 billion. Sad but true. In that situation, Woods was just acting as an elected representative of the people.

The majority of people in this country had no idea at the time of the extent of the abuse, as an elected representative Woods had a duty to ensure the facts were known before making any deals.

Plus, the victims of the Magdalene Laundries are still not entitled to any compensation
    Despite the Irish government convening the Commission to Inquire into Child Abuse, attempts to obtain compensation for the victims of the system have proven almost impossible. To be eligible for compensation, a victim must have been resident in one of a number of specifically listed institutions; no Magdalene Laundries are included on this list and as such no compensation is deemed as needing to be forthcoming.
    http://www.catholicabusesurvivorsni.com/?p=789

This farical situation is on-going. :mad:
    http://www.magdalenelaundries.com/press/JFM%20PR%2015-03-12.pdf

I do think the State has a liability here - I just think the RCC has an equal liability.

I doubt that very much, tbh.

Well, we'll never know for sure. It should really have been put to the people in a referendum.

Well, we'll never know for sure. It should really have been put to the people in a referendum.

I'd have settled for it being handled in an appropriate manner, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

No need for a referendum, it should have been handled like any other corporate malfeasance

• Advertisement

What, like the Anglo bank debt? ;)
    At least the RCC has some supporters.

What, like the Anglo bank debt? ;)
    At least the RCC has some supporters.

So does Sean Quinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Priest chases young boy (12), down a street in his underpants.
    The boy told police Perez gave him a beer and they watched a movie. The boy told investigators that an air mattress was set up on the living room floor for him to sleep on. He said he fell asleep on the mattress, the affidavit said.

Later, the boy said, he was "woken up by a couple of flashes."

He said that when he opened his eyes, he saw Perez next to the air mattress, with one hand on the boy's genitals and one hand holding a cellphone. The boy discovered his underwear and shorts lowered to his knees, while Perez was dressed in underwear and a T-shirt, the boy told police.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

My plan for the weekend is to get drunk and chase a dwarf dressed as a Priest around the city.

Now all I need is to find a willing victim accomplice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

What were the child's parents thinking letting him stay with him?

ShooterSF wrote: »
    What were the child's parents thinking letting him stay with him?

Exercise will do him good?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The Salem boy told authorities that Perez had asked his parents a few days earlier if he could take him on a trip to the mountains.

Now imagine what would have happened if the parents agreed to that...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

http://www.back2stonewall.com/2012/08/anti-gay-activist-prop-8-donor-charged-sexually-assaulting-young-boys.html

A longtime anti-gay activist, California Prop 8 donor,  and  elementary school teacher was taken into custody on August 17th after admitting inappropriate contact with young boys.Caleb Douglas Hesse, a teacher for the Morongo Unified School District since 1987 (most recently, he was teaching first grade at Friendly Hills Elementary School in Joshua Tree) and a longtime youth volunteer with the virulently homophobic Evangelical Free Church of Yucca Valley, has  confessed to sexually abusing “numerous underage boys,” with authorities believe the crimes occurred between the early 1980’s and as recently as a week ago.”

Messy post due to phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

"I apologize for my error in judgment and feel shame for the disgrace I have brought upon the Church and myself," he said. "I pray that God, in His inscrutable wisdom, will bring some good out of this."

In an interview with the National Catholic Register last year, Cordileone said that same-sex marriage is "a very serious social experiment that will have dire consequences."

Not as much as driving drunk, says I.

More here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

They're doing it to themselves, and that's the sweetest thing. Poor old Christian leaders, always letting down the flick...

Advertisement