Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ongoing religious scandals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Oh now that is impeccable timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,720 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There's supposedly 115 pages and 1,712 posts in this thread but I can't view past page 111? :confused:

wonder if this post will appear, vanish, or corrupt the Boards database :pac:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Seems to happen whenever threads get hacked into pieces and pasted somewhere else. I keep thinking robindch has posted something new in the koran quotes thread and keep getting disappointed :(

Yeah quite a lot of stuff got moved in there that has nothing to do with the koran or islam at all.
    The mods move in mysterious ways ;)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

ninja900 wrote: »
    The mods move in mysterious ways
    Well, the posts moved in mysterious ways and seem to be stuck in some kind of electrical (n)etherworld, neither in this thread (where they contribute to the post count), nor in that thread (where they contribute to the page count).

Wizards have been informed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

robindch wrote: »
    Well, the posts moved in mysterious ways and seem to be stuck in some kind of electrical (n)etherworld, neither in this thread (where they contribute to the post count), nor in that thread (where they contribute to the page count).

Wizards have been informed.

Some of the posts seem to have been transported over to Shocking Koran Quotes - mainly responses to Murphj7 - where they are fabulously out of context :p.

I noticed as I was surprised to see I had posted in SKQ but had no memory of doing so.

Allah is moving in mysterious ways...

Normality in the thread page count has been restored ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Murphj7

Thank god for that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Murphj7 wrote: »
    Thank gMod for that

fyp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Think it was this thread that this was referenced in.

EDIT: Image is huge, view it here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Fortyniner

The secret catholic court system rumbles along..

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/secret-court-to-rule-on-priests-defrocking-over-sex-abuse-219946.html

'A judgment is expected in the coming weeks on whether a Cork priest is to be defrocked by a secret ecclesiastical court because of sex abuse in the Diocese of Cloyne.
    Eleven complaints of sexual abuse were made to gardaí about the now retired priest but he has not been convicted of abuse in a criminal court. However a number of people have received financial settlements from the diocese. '

Meanwhile, the church keeps it all secret..

'The priest’s alleged victims gave evidence to the Church’s own court last summer when it convened in Co Cork.

Three priests — two clerical canon lawyers and a notary — assessed the evidence given by the alleged victims and the priest, and all involved had to sign an oath of secrecy.'

Have I missed something - where are the criminal proceedings???

I'm fuming.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Did anyone hear this morning on Morning Ireland that Cardinal Brady is being edged out, albeit at his own pace. Rome will announce today a successor to Brady, who will follow him around for the next 4 to 5 months and then the successor will take over. Its being announced today at 11am

Cross-dressing meth priest liked sex in rectory

But, hey, he "had such a knowledge of theology!"

http://www.sfgate.com/local/article/Sources-Cross-dressing-meth-priest-liked-sex-in-4203841.php
    SFGate wrote:
    The Catholic priest busted for allegedly dealing crystal meth was suspended after church officials discovered he was a cross-dresser who was having sex in the rectory at Bridgeport's St. Augustine Cathedral. Monsignor Kevin Wallin was relieved of his duties in May, but the Roman Catholic Diocese of Bridgeport had continued to pay him a stipend until his Jan. 3 arrest -- a day he was planning to fly to London on vacation.

Now dubbed "Msgr. Meth" by some, Wallin seemed to live a life that easily could have been ripped from the script of "Breaking Bad," the popular AMC series about a high school chemistry teacher turned crystal methamphetamine producer. At one point, Wallin was selling upwards of $9,000 of meth a week, according to his indictment. In his post-priesthood, Wallin, 61, bought an adult specialty and video store in North Haven called Land of Oz that sells sex toys and X-rated DVDs. Investigators believe the shop helped him launder thousands of dollars in weekly profits.

Wallin's arrest sent shock waves through the Bridgeport and Danbury communities where he was known as a charismatic speaker who was involved in many charitable activities, and who enjoyed Broadway musicals and show tunes. He often attended musicals with his mentor, former N.Y. Cardinal Edward Egan and parishioners. "There is an evil invading our world and it has come to our church," said Maria Spencer-Fonseca, a long-time parishioner at St. Augustine as she stood outside the cathedral Thursday. "This was a work of evil -- and I am praying for the monsignor."

"I can't fathom it," said 77-year-old Therese Ruppert, a parishioner at the Church of St. Peter in Danbury, where Wallin was pastor from 1996 to 2002. "He was so spiritual. His sermons were wonderful. He had such knowledge of theology." Wallin, who is represented by a federal public defender, is charged with possession with intent to distribute and distribution of methamphetamine. He has been detained without bond pending an arraignment next week. Diocese officials stressed that they had no information that Wallin was selling drugs when he was pastor of St. Augustine's Cathedral or when he previously served as pastor of St. Peter Parish.

Ordained in 1984, he served in Bridgeport from that year until 1996, when he went to Danbury. He returned to Bridgeport in 2002 and remained until his resignation in 2011. "We had no indication he had a drug problem and never had complaints regarding him and drugs," said Diocese Spokesman Brian Wallace. Instead, Wallace said they became concerned in the spring of 2011 when they began receiving complaints from parishioners regarding Wallin's appearance and erratic behavior.

"We approached him and he admitted he was struggling a bit and shortly after that he resigned (July 2011) and the bishop granted him a sabbatical," Wallace said. Wallin did go for a health assessment but then didn't go for follow-up examinations and subsequently dropped out of sight. As a result, Wallace said Wallin was suspended. But sources knowledgeable with the case said the situation went deeper than diocese officials will publicly admit.

While pastor of St. Augustine's, sources said he often disappeared for days at a time; and rectory personnel became concerned and notified diocese officials when Wallin, sometimes dressed as a woman, would entertain odd-looking men, some who were also dressed in women's clothing and engaging in sex acts. In addition, diocese officials found bizarre sex toys in Wallin's residence, the sources said. Diocese officials consulted lawyers about the situation and were assured none of Wallin's behavior appeared illegal.

After he left the church, federal authorities say, Wallin rented two apartments on Golden Hill Street in Waterbury, one for himself and the other for his alleged partner in the drug business, Kenneth "Lyme" Devries, who was also arrested in the case along with Chad McCluskey and his girlfriend, Kristen Laschober, both of California. Federal authorities said in July 2012 they received information from an informant that Wallin was selling methamphetamine in the Waterbury area. They said the informant had met Wallin at a party in early 2012 and struck up an agreement for Wallin to sell the informant six ounces of the drug a week for a total of $9,000.

The arrangement last about six weeks, delayed only when Wallin had to go into rehabilitation for his own addiction to meth. During that time Wallin gave the informant the number of his California source so that the informant would still get the drug, the indictment affidavit states. Beginning in late September 2012, an undercover officer with the Statewide Narcotics Task Force began buying meth from Wallin. During one of their meetings in Wallin's Waterbury apartment -- where he was later arrested -- the affidavit states the undercover officer saw a gallon-size plastic bag filled with crystal meth. The telephone transactions between Wallin and the officer were recorded.

Despite the huge amounts of cash rolling in, Wallin would often get into disputes about money and disagreements with his partners over the weight of the drugs. Wallin also kept three cell phones, rented two Waterbury apartments and delivered meth in magazines, the affidavit shows. The crystal meth came in shipments from McCluskey and his girlfriend, Laschober, who live in California. Both also have been indicted. Wallin also was fluent in drug lingo, and in text messages he would often use street phrases such as "5 Grover Clevelands," for $500 worth of meth or "eight balls," for an eighth of an ounce, the indictment states.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

^^^

I really, really read that as 'liked sex in rectum'.

I suppose I just have a filthy mind.

EDIT: :eek:

Just read the article.

Reminded me of Sean Fortune: the same kind of 'clergyman wildly out of control'.

pauldla wrote: »
    the same kind of 'clergyman wildly out of control'.
    There's an element of Fr Ted about the whole thing too -- I mean, how on earth did nobody notice that a priest bought and ran an "adult specialty and video store"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

robindch wrote: »
    There's an element of Fr Ted about the whole thing too -- I mean, how on earth did nobody notice that a priest bought and ran an "adult specialty and video store"?

It says in his post-priesthood he bought a sexshop... no?

I want to say:
    "Sex in the rectory isn't normal; but on meth it is."
    except it seems that sex in the recotory is pretty common.

"Swearing life long celibacy and buggering children isn't normal; but in the priesthood it is."

At least there's no word of him abusing children...
    Just other men.
    Sex in the rectory, fine
    Crossdressing, fine
    Owning a sex shop, fine
    Selling meth? Not so fine.
    It's a hell of a drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm surprised his name wasn't Father Walter White. :pac:

AN outspoken cleric has claimed he has been threatened with excommunication from the Catholic Church for suggesting that women might become priests in the future.

Fr Tony Flannery said he is being forced to chose between Rome and his conscience and revealed he is taking legal advice under canon and civil law to help defend his rights as a member of the church and as an Irish citizen.

The 66-year-old, who joined the Redemptorists in 1964, said he has been told by the Vatican that if he wants to remain in the church and in his congregation he must stop any involvement with the liberal Association of Catholic Priests (ACP), which he founded.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/irish-cleric-threatened-with-excommunication-for-suggesting-women-priests-a-possibility-3358147.html

So much for those defenders of the RCC who insist it can be changed from within....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

The ACP have enough members that they could start their own religion - a slightly more liberal version of Catholicism. I think it would be easier than beating their heads against a wall.

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    The ACP have enough members that they could start their own religion - a slightly more liberal version of Catholicism. I think it would be easier than beating their heads against a wall.
    I think there's a thread about that in the fossil record somewhere...

In short, I'd imagine that a Vatican schism is quite likely if the catholic deity continues to cause the College of Cardinals to choose hardline conservatives as popes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Well the priest is going against the rules he signed up for, he's being pretty arregent in assuming that they should change for him, it's not like it's a democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Well the priest is going against the rules he signed up for, he's being pretty arregent in assuming that they should change for him, it's not like it's a democracy.

what rule that he signed up for is he going against, might I ask?

Nodin wrote: »
    what rule that he signed up for is he going against, might I ask?

Hasn't the RCC been clear about it's views on women be aloud to become priests?

If he doesn't agree with their divine doctrine then he shouldn't be a priest. Makes sense to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Hasn't the RCC been clear about it's views on women be aloud to become priests?

If he doesn't agree with their divine doctrine then he shouldn't be a priest. Makes sense to me.

emmm, he's just discussing the matter?

What's "divine doctrine" when its at home?

Not sure the RCC has ever taken to kindly to people within it's organization "just discussing" matters that they've decided answers for.

Isn't the stuff that comes out of the Vatican Divine Doctrine? I could be wrong of course i've never been quite right with Church lingo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Anyone interested in the cases of abuse around the world should find this website useful as a point of reference.

Something they thought of 1,000 years into their existence to make sure they kept hold of property.
    In the early 11th century Pope Benedict VIII responded to the decline in priestly morality by issuing a rule prohibiting the children of priests from inheriting property. A few decades later Pope Gregory VII issued a decree against clerical marriages.
    http://hnn.us/articles/696.html

If you don't want to lose property to the offspring of clergy don't have sex! Simple! What happened to taking responsibility!?

Sarky wrote: »
    If you don't want to lose property to the offspring of clergy don't have sex! Simple! What happened to taking responsibility!?

The Church probably made the right call in the end, relying on priests/people to not have sex has a history of failure.

also The Church's record on taking responsibility is also a little shaky.

• Advertisement

Sarky wrote: »

Funny how the Anglicans don't seem to have a problem with the children of vicars claiming church property....

Advertisement