Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fetal doppler in limerick

• 13-03-2010 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

hello,

does anybody know where i can buy a fetal doppler in limerick?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

argos do basic versions but they won't work until you are about 6 months I think, link

However by then the baby is kicking away so you probably wouldn't need it.
    Hope that helps, I know it's a worrying time. Also sometimes the nurses have problems finding the heartbeat as baby moves around a lot when smaller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

mothercare and some of the bigger boots have them, i think they say you should be able to listen from 14 weeks. But be very careful with them as apprently a lot of people confuse the blood flow in umblicial cord with a heartbeat as the sound is very similar. So if you are ever worried about baby go to the doc and also I remember when i was about 4/5 months gone the doc use to have to spend a little time finding heartbeat as my placenta was to the front this use to cause me to have little panic attacks in my head. So wouldn't like to be at home trying to use one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

I bought this Angelsounds one off ebay from the UK. Delivery was very quick, 2 days.

Heartbeat detected at about 7-8 weeks :)

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ANGELSOUNDS-FETAL-DOPPLER-ANGEL-SOUNDS-HEART-MONITOR_W0QQitemZ170387700599QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Baby_Maternity_Pregnancy_MJ?hash=item27abe5fb77

EDIT: Would echo what others have said. Sometimes very hard to find the heartbeat. Go really low if you are early. Really low, just above the pubic area. Having said that, when you do hear it, you'll know what it is as it sounds like a heartbeat except about twice the speed of your own!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Maybe you also want to consider if its a good idea to use these on a daily basis. They work by sending sound waves into your tummy, the waves then bouncing back off your baby to the unit. Used on a routine periodic basis by a medical practitioner, there should be no adverse effect. However, I'm not sure if anyone has ever considered what the effect of regular exposure is. (That's not saying there will be a negative effect and its not saying there won't be - but its saying think about the possibility). Note the above applies to Foetal Doppler, which work on the principle of ultrasound. Not sure what the Argos / Boots / other consumer versions use.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jimbo007

Thanks for the replies :)

I'll give mothercare and boots a try in town.. I looked up the argos ones, and they seem to be just a mic and speaker system, they don't seem to work like a doppler...

if anyone else has any other suggestions for limerick, let me know, thanks :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

I got some from the Uk online, it was a hi biz ( or something like that). You can order them from anawiz. They are a little more expensive than the average one but very good. Would you try some of the parenting sites and see if anyone has one for sale first?
    Like prev posters said, counting kicks and movement is just as important, and you need to make sure if the babies heartbeat and not yourself you are hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

I bought mine on ebay from Anawiz, a little more expensive as a previous poster has said but in my opinion worth it for the quality. They are medical grade and harmless to the baby. The ones made by Summer and available in Smyths and Argos I found useless. If you get the one that displays the heart beats in a beats per minute on the screen are helpful I found because you know it is the babys heart when the BPM are between 120 and 160 (little babas heart sounds like gallopy horses). I used it alongside counting kicks as other posters have said and I found it a good way of checking things to keep myself calm and also a nice little connection with the baby. I recorded the sound and had it as my ringtone for the first few months on my mobile. Hope this has been helpful for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Pinkdust

I got a fetal doppler as a present and was warned that it might not be the best thing to have one because if you cant hear the heartbeat once then you may panic when their may be no need too!
    I took this in my stride and covered myself in the gel and listened intently for days... loved it....until i realised that my babies heartbeat sounded very slow at 12 weeks compared to all the youtube ultra sounds...
    luckily i had my first scan 2 weeks later...and those two weeks were EXTREMILY long because i was constantly thinking to myself that something was wrong...
    LOW AND BEHOLD ! ...i was hearing my own heartbeat, not the babies... and there i was letting the world listen proudly! haha..
    Needless to say my 80euro doppler has been tucked back in its box and wont be coming out again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭hiltonhater

I also bought the angelsounds doppler and I would have gone mad without it!
    where women are going in and out of the hospital with different worries, i can stay home and hear the heartbeat when I need to, to reassure me and cause less stress to me, thus causing less stress to my baby.
    I got mine for 25 euro at the baby fair in the RDS last year and was able to hear the heartbeat from around 12 or 13 weeks. they sell this very one on a site called mykimamadotcom if you are looking for one for peace of mind but not one that will break the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

Just telling you all because this really scared the life out of me today. I was in the hosp 39+3, there was a trainee midwife and widwife and they were using one of those dopplers and it took them a good few minutes to find the heartbeat. Turned out the batteries on machine were running out, just so you all know if you are using them at home and get a scare like that check the batteries as this can affect them.

Very very scary not being able to hear the heartbeat but got a scan 5 min later and doc even commented how strong of a heartbeat it was.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Hello
    Do you folks still recommend the above doplers? My wife is 14 weeks and is anxious to get one. I fear buying a bad one though which would only increase the anxiety!

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭positron

We recently got an Angel Sounds one on EBay for less than €30, and have used it a number of times already. You have to move it around a bit and try different angles to find the heartbeat, but it's not too hard (from our experience so far), and yes, you do need to tell yourself that if you can't find the heartbeat, it's because YOU can't find it, and does not mean that it's not there.

When you do locate the heartbeat, pumping away like a train, it is a joy to listen to! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Anyone that has the Angel sounds one does it have much interferrance and noise as you're trying to find the heartbeat?
    I hired a doppler but the interferance that comes out of it is head wrecking. I can always find the heartbeat which is great but the noise out of it when its not on the heartbeat is quite offputting.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

My one from Anawiz wouldn't work for me when I got pregnant again earlier this year, so I sent it back to England for repair and they told me it would be cheaper to buy a new one and I thought it too pricey. Overall a bit disappointed because when it worked it was great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭positron

sillysocks wrote: »
    Anyone that has the Angel sounds one does it have much interferrance and noise as you're trying to find the heartbeat?
    I hired a doppler but the interferance that comes out of it is head wrecking. I can always find the heartbeat which is great but the noise out of it when its not on the heartbeat is quite offputting.

Yes, we do get a lot of crackle and other really loud noises when you move the angel sounds doppler over the skin to find the heartbeat. What I normally do is - I keep the volume really low while we search for the heartbeat, and once we have located the heartbeat, we increase the volume and hold the angel sounds real still so that there's no other unwanted noise.

Another option is that you can plug it into the PC and try and play thru the PC speakers.

Advertisement