Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasonably priced, quiet CPU cooler

Options
  • 13-03-2010 7:15pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I recently upgraded from a 720 BE to a 965 BE, very happy with the performance, but not so much with the noise level. Even with the rather warm running HD4870 my system had up until now been quieter than my fridge and my Xbox :).

Different story now, while noise level are grand during general usage, the minute I start playing a game it sounds like a friggin' jet engine taking off. I hadn't really intended on overclocking for a while yet untill I need a performance boost a down the line.

I don't have a huge case only an Antec 300 at the moment so any recomendations for something that is not too big, quiet and reasonably priced are most welcome.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

marco_polo wrote: »
    not too big, quiet and reasonably priced

The Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro immediately sprang to mind. I find it very quiet at low RPM, and keeps my overclocked E8400 pretty cool. Cheaper than most other solutions as well.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

It would have to be the Freezer 64 Pro or Freezer 7 Rev2 as the stock Freezer 7 Pro only mounts on LGA775 IIRC.

Would the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus work on AM3? Those are supposed to be powerful, quiet and cheap ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Solitaire wrote: »
    It would have to be the Freezer 64 Pro or Freezer 7 Rev2 as the stock Freezer 7 Pro only mounts on LGA775 IIRC.

Would the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus work on AM3? Those are supposed to be powerful, quiet and cheap ;)

I like the look of the Hyper 212, it appears to be AM3 compatible as well however the listed height is 15.9 cm and I think it may think it may be a touch too big for the A300 which has a width of 20.5cm. Although the vent on the side directly above the CPU protrudes a little giving maybe an extra .05 - 1.0 cm clearance.

EDIT: Actualy this thread on overclockers suggest it will be (just about) alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

The Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro immediately sprang to mind. I find it very quiet at low RPM, and keeps my overclocked E8400 pretty cool. Cheaper than most other solutions as well.

Shame it's pants for cooling quads....

Freezer 7 Pro is only good for a dualcore. Not great for a quad sadly.

Bought a Freezer 7 Pro for my Q6600 B3 a good while back and had to replace it shortly with a thermalright 120 Extreme.

Scythe Mugen 2 is meant to be a dacent cooler for AM2/3 @ €34 on komplett.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=575732

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Sorry to hijack this thread but any suggestions for my Q6600?
    Ive never overclocked it in its 2 years of life but i thought i might try to get some more performance out of it.

• Advertisement

I like the look of the Hyper 212... the listed height is 15.9 cm and I think it may think it may be a touch too big for the A300 which has a width of 20.5cm.

I don't think the A300 has 40mm mobo standoffs! :D So unless your mobo is over 40mm thick (how?!?) full-tower coolers (120mm fan, usually 150-170mm high) should fit the ~210mm wide A300 fine :)
    Dcully wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack this thread but any suggestions for my Q6600

Check your own thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TiNcAn

I recommend the pants of this cooler for quietness.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=503405
    It is absolultely silent. Installed it for a friend who eanted to quieten there PC.
    Personally myself I have the Mother of all heatsinks the Noctua 14 but thats just me.

Its a nice cooler but its purely for HTPC use; its efficiency plummets once its trying to dissipate over 100W of heat :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I don't think the A300 has 40mm mobo standoffs! :D So unless your mobo is over 40mm thick (how?!?) full-tower coolers (120mm fan, usually 150-170mm high) should fit the ~210mm wide A300 fine :)

Check your own thread ;)

Minor maths fail :). Just a little paronoid since I lost a drive bay to the HD4870 (9.5 inches does not include PCIe cables)

Heavily considered the Mugen 2 but I am going to to go with the Hyper 212. For 25 quid it is well priced and certainly doesn't embarass itself in tests against more expensive rivals.

So much for a budget cooling solution. This thread just reminded me of how much I hate my case, should never have cheaped out on it in the first place. So I ordered a new HAF 922 to go along with it my cooler :P. I haven't upgraded anything in a whole two months anyway so it about time really :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

So much for a budget cooling solution. This thread just reminded me of how much I hate my case, should never have cheaped out on it in the first place. So I ordered a new HAF 922 to go along with it my cooler :P. I haven't upgraded anything in a whole two months anyway so it about time really :).

You end up going with the hyper 212?
    The haf922 is a great case,keeps everything nice and cool, dust is a right pain though.

Burgo wrote: »
    You end up going with the hyper 212?

Yeah it seem like pretty decent performer for the price, I have the 125W 965 so it should be a little cooler than the original version. Overclocking is not an immediate priority though so not too bothered about that for the moment, 4.0 GHz seems about on the very limit on air for this chip, with better coolers than the 212, so I will probably have to settle for a handy enough 3.8 GHz or so when the time comes.

The PC is near where herself watches Corrie so the decibel levels are the major focus for now :pac:.
    The haf922 is a great case,keeps everything nice and cool, dust is a right pain though.

The Antec is quite open as well so dust I am used to although there are a quite a few more fans on the HAF taking in alot more air, so I expect more regular housekeeping will be required for sure.

The 300 was an alright case when I had an X3 720 in there, but since I replaced it the noise levels have gone way up and my HD4870 about 7-8 degrees hotter as when idle so this is also is considerably louder than it had been. My cable "management" is currently a bit of a disgrace as well I must confess, which doesn't help :)

Good times, idle temps down from 42/42 degrees to 29 / 30.

Meh. What we all want to know is what are the 100% load temps like? :P

Meh. What we all want to know is what are the 100% load temps like? :P

Did about an hour of Prime 95 there as requeste, was hovering at the 44-45 degree mark when I ended it. Tried it a couple of days ago under the old setup and I decided (over cautiously perhaps) to kill it after only a couple of minutes minutes as it was heading north of 66 degrees.

Sweet! And that with a 125W TDP chip!! :eek::D

Almost tempted to put it back in the old case to see how much is down to the new cooler and how much to the new case. Either way the hyper 212 is a nice piece of kit for 25 quid.

Advertisement