Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texting from NI on O2 Ireland

• 13-03-2010 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

I thought it was a mistake on the O2 website when I saw that it cost 39c to text when roaming in NI on O2 Ireland (prepay). However, despite the fact that it's only 13c to text when you're roaming in the UK and several other countries, it is indeed three times the cost from NI, as confirmed by email from O2 :eek: I really don't understand this, but maybe someone here on Boards knows why :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I would question it again, maybe try Daryl here on boards. A picture message is only 25cent so you could use that instead, and get to send a lot more info than a regular text, but it doesn't make sense. I would reckon it should be 13 cent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

seems steep alright, did you previously experience 13c text in the UK ? Are you on an old prepay Tariff with O2 ? Sometimes old prices stay with old tariffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

I've just bought a phone from O2 and was searching their site for prices - came across the 39c charge for basic prepay customers (Speakeasy) and emailed them to check.

I live near the border and regularly travel over and back. I'm currently with Vodafone and it's only 13c per text while roaming in NI. This is the reply I got back from my email to O2:

Dear [Domscard],

Thank you for contacting O2 Customer Care by email.

In response to your query I can confirm that it is 39 cent per message sent while in Northern Ireland and 13 cent per message sent from the UK.

I can confirm that all charges stated on the O2 website are correct.

Please note you can send 250 free international web texts each month on www.O2.ie.

Should you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us.

I hope this is of assistance to you.

Kind Regards

As if those 250 web texts were going to be much use while roaming :eek:!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

i dont mean to offend anybody with my ignorance but isnt northern ireland part of the UK? so it should be 13c?

• Advertisement

Well, that IS interesting thanks! I emailed them back yesterday looking for an explanation, but it takes up to 72 hours for a response.

_sparkie_ wrote: »
    i dont mean to offend anybody with my ignorance but isnt northern ireland part of the UK? so it should be 13c?

As far as I know it is ;) but it seems to be treated very differently for texting purposes. You can also text for 13c from any other EU country - Italy, Spain, Germany etc NI is the only place that costs 39c :confused: I suspect that very few O2 prepay customers know how much their texts cost when they wander across the border. Very, very bad form O2 and discriminates against those of us in border counties :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Well they probably can do this. They can provide "All Island" arrangements which provide for no roaming charges and if you opt to use this tariff then you opt out of the EU thing. O2 initiated this no roaming charges in the North idea, which was very welcome. But instead of pushing on with the concept to reach a simple "you pay the same everywhere in Ireland" they have been putting rowing back from the concept with sneaking charges and gotchas. Tesco on the O2 network provide a clearer proposition.

One simple observation the 39c would only apply if you were roaming on O2, if you changed network for long enough to send the text then you would have simple UK rates.

Another observation is that despite O2 gouging you for data roaming in NI, using Cabbage or similar will only be a cent or two.

but it takes up to 72 hours for a response.

They say they will respond within 72 hours, but they don't take this target seriously.

I will indeed - not going to let go now and also hope to be able to post this in the Donegal forum for anyone else caught by this very odd charge. Many people like me text in preference to calling in the mistaken belief that they're keeping costs low. Many never check the website (or even their own balance) and might not be aware that this is eating their credit :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

Domscard wrote: »
    As far as I know it is ;) but it seems to be treated very differently for texting purposes.

thats what i thought. sounds very illegal if you ask me.

ardmacha wrote: »
    Well they probably can do this. They can provide "All Island" arrangements which provide for no roaming charges and if you opt to use this tariff then you opt out of the EU thing.
    On the prepay (speakeasy) tariff there is no option that will avoid texts at 39c when roaming.
    One simple observation the 39c would only apply if you were roaming on O2, if you changed network for long enough to send the text then you would have simple UK rates.
    This is a good idea, if a little fiddly. I always have to watch the network anyway, as I often find myself with the UK provider when I'm at home - 3 miles from the border! It used to cost me quite a lot when Vodafone had the high roaming rates and I failed to notice. Their rates are all the same now though, which makes them a better bet for border customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

I don't know who confirmed that is was 39c. It is definitely 13c and don't let anyone tell you any different.

Can you PM me with the name of the person that sent the email to you?

I don't know who confirmed that is was 39c. It is definitely 13c and don't let anyone tell you any different.

Can you PM me with the name of the person that sent the email to you?

Well, I'm certainly pleased to hear that - thanks :) However, I gave a link earlier to the O2 website where I first saw the charge and the email received from O2 when I questioned it - both said/confirmed 39c. I will PM you the email now and the person's name. I don't want to get the guy into any trouble - I guess he just consulted the site, like me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Link from website today: Northern Ireland Speakeasy roaming charges

The O2 website is just atrocious. It gets worse every year.

Anyway...screenshot attached.

Edit: Btw is O2 upgrading the site (again) today? Links aren't working, the "plan" page is 404. Can't seem to find a link anywhere to "Other Charges" or "Roaming Charges".

Darren & O2 - please explain what is going on here :confused: I have the O2 website and TWO responses by email from 2 different O2 reps confirming that texts from NI cost 39c. This is the latest response to my query sent a couple of days ago:
    Dear [Domscard],

Thank you for contacting O2 Customer Care.

I am sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with the rate at which texts are charged while roaming in Northern Ireland.

Unfortunately, 39c per message is the correct rate for a text send while roaming in Northern Ireland on the O2 UK network. .

There is however a Northern Ireland roaming initiative built in to all prepaid price plans, which gives customers cheaper rates on calls when they visit Northern Ireland.

I hope this is of assistance to you.

Kind regards,
    [O2 rep no. 2]
    Who am I to believe? Can O2 get their act together and amend their site to show the correct rate – if it is indeed 13c and not 39c? Darren, I sent the information you requested via PM – now you have another O2 rep still singing from the wrong (?) O2 website/hymn sheet. Time to sort things out and clarify the matter on the O2 site.

O2 clearly are a bit confused on this one. Someone needs to send a text and find out how much is actually being charged.

O2 clearly are a bit confused on this one. Someone needs to send a text and find out how much is actually being charged.

I have both a Vodafone and an O2 sim and my new phone (N900) turns out to be unlocked (thanks O2, very much appreciated ;)) so I guess I'm sticking with Vodafone until I find out for sure.
    In any event, I would expect O2 to sort out their site/story - one way or another.

I have sent another PM to Darryll and an email to O2 CS - still no reply and no change on the O2 site. Texts from NI are still listed at 39c :confused:

Sorry I have been away for a couple of days.

While I was away though the NI page was updated and I was assured that the correct price I quoted earlier is correct and the pricing is the same as it is in the UK mainland.

I hope that eases all of your worries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

While I was away though the NI page was updated

Still says 39 cent to me for prepay : http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Explore+Services/Services/Travelling+Abroad/Northern+Ireland+Speak+easy

Maybe they didn't run the update yet. I will check in with them again. Bear with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭globemaster1986

Clearly an error on the website. Texts are only 13c, they can't charge any more than that. Calls are 39c to make and free to receive. I guess whoever filled in the figures made a mistake and person who confirmed by email just checked the site and didn't have cop on to question it!

Clearly an error on the website. Texts are only 13c, they can't charge any more than that. Calls are 39c to make and free to receive. I guess whoever filled in the figures made a mistake and person who confirmed by email just checked the site and didn't have cop on to question it!

And 2 (not 1) O2 CS agents at 2 different times confirmed the disputed price in writing as a result of a quite comprehensive query/response communication! Not to mention the O2 website that's still unchanged ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

It appears that O2 have update the site with the correct price.

This does not reflect well on O2. If the website was displaying a price for texts which was obviously suspicious then it should not have taken so long for this to be rectified. In general the website should be linked to actual billing system so that a two prices cannot exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭globemaster1986

This does not reflect well on O2. If the website was displaying a price for texts which was obviously suspicious then it should not have taken so long for this to be rectified. In general the website should be linked to actual billing system so that a two prices cannot exist.

Two prices didn't exist, it was merely displayed incorrectly on their website. Hardly anything for anyone to be getting upset about

What is the purpose of having a price on a website if it is not correct? If you ask for the price of something and they give you nonsense in response then this is misrepresentation.

There should be simple regulatory obligation on mobile service providers to publish full and accurate pricing information.

Two prices didn't exist, it was merely displayed incorrectly on their website. Hardly anything for anyone to be getting upset about

It was more than 'merely displayed incorrectly on their website' - it was TWICE confirmed in writing by their CS agents! And despite being told about this by their own rep here on Boards, it took them 11 days to change the site :eek:
    As for 'being upset about it' - not me (and I'm the OP) but it didn't impress me and it resulted in my opting to stay with Vodafone rather than change to O2.

• Advertisement

And so it goes on ....:eek: This was received by me today from O2 in response to my last query, which outlined this thread on Boards and quoted Darryl:

Dear [Domscard],

Thank you for contacting O2 Customer Care.

I am sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied with the charges that you incur while texting in Northern Ireland.

In response to your e-mail, I can confirm that the charges for texting in Northern Ireland are 39c per message.

I can assure you that these charges are both valid and legal.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused by this.

Kind regards,
    [O2 rep, name removed]

O2 Customer Care
    CCMA Contact Centre of the Year 2008

Really and truly O2, this is ridiculous! I accept that the website is now changed and that the correct price is 13 cents (at least I hope it is) but what is happening with your customer service? Can we trust anything that we're told by your agents?

Advertisement