Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compost question

Options
  • 13-03-2010 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭

I use our compost pile to fill two vegable patches today. The compost looks good but i can tell it's not right. What should i be adding to it for it to be suitable for growing vegables

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blackharvester

hi. what did you put to this compost, how did you make it? you can make good compost from the grass, leafs, organic waste etc. and later you can mix this with the soil and plant vegs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

Made it from grass cuttings, tree trimmings, organic waste, some paper. it's dark and rich! have no top soil to mix it with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what's not right about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blackharvester

maybe your compost is not ready yet. the garden waste need few months to get roted. i think paper and branches from the hedges are not so good for this

no it's fully decomposed! it's dark and rich but i heard you need to add stuff to it to make it suitable for growing vegables

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

no it's fully decomposed! it's dark and rich but i heard you need to add stuff to it to make it suitable for growing vegables
    unless you wanted to add a bit of soil for the sake of structure?

well looks like my compost is ready to go. it just looked too rich to grow anything in it. time will tell. thanx

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

You'll probably find it'll continue to break down in the beds. Try testing the PH with a PH kit (available from garden centre) to make sure it's not too acidic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Francie

Go back to the source you heard this from and ask them what stuff.

Advertisement