Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothing Stickers

Options
  • 13-03-2010 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

Getting pretty annoyed at getting these stickers in the door at the moment.
    Sometimes I am woken up at 5:30-6:30 am in the morning when I hear
    the letter box with someone fireing them in. Getting several every single week.

Wonder if there is anything that can be done to stop them? some people
    have put signs up on their doors saying no junk mail but they are ignored.

Look at my small collection over the last month or two :eek:
    (I treat the Church so called "Due's" as junk too)
    stickers.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Thats some collection you have there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭phill106

happens to me all the time too in shannon. I think some people take it as an extra job, and do it before work or something. Need some kind of discrete, "no thanks, i dont want to support your selling clothes as rags in other countries business" sign... Perhaps glow in the dark...or perhaps electrified, so the sticker people glow in the dark!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I would not mind them as much if I felt they were from genuine charities,
    but most of them when you look are just registered permit for refuse collection.
    so potential con-artists are probably collecting clothes and re-selling them 2nd hand. There was a house around the corner from me that was rented a few years back where a bunch of these so called collectors for charity lived, they
    had bags upon bags of clothes scattered around the house they lived in, passing by a few times you could see in the windows clothes everywhere,
    and anything that could not be sold was dumped out the side of the house.
    (you could see it as they never payed Mr. Bin man!! so broken bags of clothes etc were not taken away)

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I have asked these people several times to stop putting their labels through my letterbox but they just ignored me, or pretend they don't understand English.

Last year I raked off my lawn and had a load of moss which I packed into three black bags and stuck on labels and left them outside my gate early in the morning.

Bingo, they were collected after 8am and I was deeply satisfied to have got some sort of revenge on those gangsters.

I did it again last week and will continue to get some value from their opportunistic littering of my hallway with their bogus charity labels.

John.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Tippman, you have just given me great ideas!

I too share the pain of this scam. I have confronted the sticker delivery people at 7am and asked them to firstly stop putting their rubbish in my letterbox and secondly to close the gate after them as the dog can get out. I was ignored.

I have also written to the 'Alive' newspaper editor and requested they stop issuing their newspaper to my house as it goes straight from the letterbox to the bin. I was very apologetic and polite about it and that too has been ignored.

Tonight I think I will stick one of those labels over my letterbox with an alternative message to that of the polite "Go Away" written on it. Doubt it will work though. But I'm sure if they get lots of bags of moss and other unpleasant packages it might eventually put them off collecting in certain areas.

It's the people who put bags outside their door instead of going to the local recycling centre or charity shop/collection bins who are keeping these scammers going. If everybody stopped giving to them they will eventually stop.

Did anybody watch the RTE documentary where the reporter followed a group of these scammers to their house and found out what was happening with the clothes and how much money they were getting? I believe they get €1 per 20kg collected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Limerickgal82

My letter box bangs at least 6 times a day with these stupid stickers, leaflets, Menus, taxi cards etc :( i have had enough of it . Cluttering up my hallway and then my bin. I think ill start putting bags of rubish out with those pesky stickers on them thanks for the idea :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

My neigbour had a bag out the other night. During the night a sticker came in at 4:30am. I looked out the window to see the guy scoop up her bag and make off with it.

It was not even the same sticker on the bag that he was handing out.

I will ONLY give my unwanted clothing to my OH family and then to Gorta on High Street NEVER to the sticker brigade.

Im believe they are actually selling the clothes in shop's around the country anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Now I know what to do when I have to get up all the leaves off the lawn. :D

PS: Are all these sticker things bogus?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

RonMexico wrote: »

I doubt they all are but I wouldn't respect a charity that harrasses people.

Like the stickers and also like the one's who utilise chuggers(Street Warriors) on the streets. The Sheraton once put a €1 on my bill and said it was for charity and they will remove it if I asked. Cheeky beggars!! I told them IF I WANT to give to charity I WILL!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

If you try to call the mobile phone no. on the stickers, you'll probably find the number either isn't answered or it's not operational.

This would seem to me to be pretty well the give-away that they're bogus.

Now it's nearly time to mow and rake my lawn again....... I see there's a bit of growth back again...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

There is no growth at all -all the grass/fields around the place are yellow!!

Advertisement