Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signal good outside, poor inside. Latest solutions?

Options
  • 13-03-2010 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

I know there have been a few threads on this in the past, but with technology relentlessly marching on, are there any good legal solutions to this problem that have recently emerged ?

The previous threads I have seen suggest it is illegal to just simply boost (ie rebroadcast) the mobile providers signal frequencies within the home, or anywhere else for that matter.

But I'm thinking with todays technology it should be possible to get something like a wireless base station for wireless landline handsets within the home that you can dock your mobile into and has an external aerial (in much the same way as a car kits aerial), so that effectively your mobile is patched into your wireless landline handset system ? Has anyone come across a soluton like this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

unfortunately no :( something like that will always repeat the signal back into the operators mast! thus causing issues with the operators tranmission network because it is not intergrated into it. its boosters like this that cause other customers dropped calls and coverage issues as you are relaying the same signal back into the same cell and damaging the software on the cells. Sorry for the rant but something legal like that would never available for mobiles. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭AARRRRGH

http://mobilerepeater.co.uk/shop/home.php

My uncle has one. Could never get a signal inside the house before. Its perfect now. Unless the electricity goes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

Yes but if you select Ireland, your Network and coverage range you get "PRODUCT NOT FOUND!" as they are illegal here! You can buy them if you select a UK network but all your doing is causing problems for that Irish networks customers around you. There hard to trace and a nightmare for field engineers/vendors to resolve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hugoline

I have seen a passive repeater work for GSM (for a room completely surrounded by metal, acting as a Faraday's cage).
    You would need a high gain antenna outside with LOS to the mobile tower connected to an omni-directional inside.
    No guarantees it will work in your case though as it depends on the 'power' of the signal outside your house and the power of your mobile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭AARRRRGH

Yes but if you select Ireland, your Network and coverage range you get "PRODUCT NOT FOUND!" as they are illegal here! You can buy them if you select a UK network but all your doing is causing problems for that Irish networks customers around you. There hard to trace and a nightmare for field engineers/vendors to resolve.

If the network providers provided decent coverage and signal strength there would be no need for these.
    I dont know what you are selecting. It works for me.
    Look.

You selected the following info:
    Phone Network: 3 Network
    Coverage: 250
    Your technology is 3G 2100 and your recomended product is : MR 3G 2100 PRO

You selected the following info:
    Phone Network: O2
    Coverage: 250
    Your technology is GSM 900 and 1800 and your recomended product is : MR Mini Dual Band Personal Booster

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Thanks for the replies. But it was not a signal rebroadcaster I had in mind.

Further research has brought up this Dock-N-Talk device
    http://www.phonelabs.com/prd05.asp

What this appears to be doing is providing an interface between the mobile network and the cordless phone apparatus such that you can take your mobile calls on your cordless home phone, it appears it doesn't rebroadcast the mobile operators signal, rather it converts the mobile signal at the interface point to the format used by the cordless home phone and from the interface point onwards it is effectively a second line on your cordless home phone. At least that is what I think it does, so I'm guessing it should be legal. Maybe someones knows better ?

The makers claim it will work anywhere in the world, and it would seem its being used in the UK, but I'd be interested to know if has anyone tried it in Ireland ? Even better if anyone knows if it would work with O2 network ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Not wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. But it was not a signal rebroadcaster I had in mind.

Further research has brought up this Dock-N-Talk device
    http://www.phonelabs.com/prd05.asp

What this appears to be doing is providing an interface between the mobile network and the cordless phone apparatus such that you can take your mobile calls on your cordless home phone, it appears it doesn't rebroadcast the mobile operators signal, rather it converts the mobile signal at the interface point to the format used by the cordless home phone and from the interface point onwards it is effectively a second line on your cordless home phone. At least that is what I think it does, so I'm guessing it should be legal. Maybe someones knows better ?

The makers claim it will work anywhere in the world, and it would seem its being used in the UK, but I'd be interested to know if has anyone tried it in Ireland ? Even better if anyone knows if it would work with O2 network ?

For this to work best u need to position the mobile wherever the best signal is in the house which could be a pain

Advertisement