Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Nikon lens for sports photography

• 13-03-2010 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Would love to have a few opinions re the best Nikom lens to use for sports photography.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Depends on the sport.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

It depends on the sport your shooting, where you'll be shooting from, what your budget is etc, what camera (full frame or crop sensor).

People will have a better idea of what your looking for if you mention that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

The 70-200 2.8 vr is fast, versatile, with great optics but it's expensive.
    I've seen great results with the 80-200 2.8 but I'm not sure how fast the focus is. I think it costs about €800. The 70-200 is about 2 grand.

I've got the 80-200 2.8 IF D lens and it focuses almost as fast as the 70-200 and is tack sharp wide open. I'm shooting on full frame and I found it a little short when I was shooting GAA before. On a crop sensor it would be a bit more useful.

EDIT:I paid €450 for my 80-200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

pete4130 wrote: »
    I've got the 80-200 2.8 IF D lens and it focuses almost as fast as the 70-200 and is tack sharp wide open. I'm shooting on full frame and I found it a little short when I was shooting GAA before. On a crop sensor it would be a bit more useful.

EDIT:I paid €450 for my 80-200

Thats a great price. I've seen some great f1 shots with that on a D70. As you say, tack sharp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Thats a great price. I've seen some great f1 shots with that on a D70. As you say, tack sharp.

Sorry for the OT...but I lol'd at your username.....I actually knew of a guy called Mike Hunt!!!! :D

Back on topic....I've the 80-200mm f2.8 too and has been stated above...it's tack sharp, if a little short on reach. The 70-300 4.5-5.6 VR is a pretty capable lens too if shooting in good light.

I had the 70-300 4.5-5.6 VR lens before my 80-200 and the difference in sharpness, contrast and resolution between the two is really noticeable. The 70-300 is good and capable, slower to focus and not as sharp. It does struggle in low light and can't be used with TC's if you do need the extra reach.

The 80-200 2.8 is a bargain lens and even with a 2x TC on it its still as fast as the 70-300 VR except more reach. I have used a Sigma APO 2x TC on the 80-200 but the TC was a very bad copy and wasn't sharp at all.

Advertisement