Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My child was lost for a time today!

Options
  • 13-03-2010 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭

Every parents nightmare...i took my eyes of my 3 yo son for a split second this morning and he was gone.
    He usually doesnt go far...maybe to the end of the aisles...but always keeps us in sight...so immediatly i thought he had turned the top of the aisle. So i wandered up and down calling his name...but the longer i couldnt find him..the more I became agitated....
    So after maybe a minute or two I had asked the shop staff to help me look for him....and they got security looking also. Thw whole lot os us were calling his name...looking outside the front of the shop for him...yet couldnt see sight nor sound....I have to say..it was at this point I got the worst..sick feeling in my guts...I was absolutly frwaking out in my head...but trying to remain calm cause I knew I just wanted people looking for him...not trying to reassure me!!!

Anyway after what seemed like an eternity..I could hear him screaming crying out in the shopping centre...so I ran out and there he was being chased by a young lady. The was working in the shop a few doors up and saw this little fella stroll in and knew straight away something was wrong...so was trying to hold onto him untill she could get security...but somehow he managed to get away...and ran back to the shop I was in.

I say..he was missing for no more than 5-7 minutes...but guys...it was the most scary couple of minutes of my life.

I also want to add...that the most ironic part of the whole thing was that as I was going into the shopping centre I noticed that the management have put up large notices advising parents of what to do in the event they lose a child.

aAnyway..it all ended well...but i really would like to say to the lady in H&M who tried to hold on to him...that you really have restored my faith in people...I just wish we had more people like yourself!!! Thank You!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Chewbacca.

you shouldn't be allowed have kids
    Idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Chewbacca. wrote: »
    Idiot
    you shouldnt be allowed post on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Homer

Idiot

and you shouldnt be allowed near the internet but hey.. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Same thing happened to my mother about 35 years ago in Roches Stores, Henry Street with my bro - can't fathom how horrific it must feel. Still though, I must also mention to her that she's an idiot and "shouldn't be allowed have kids".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Idiot
    Homer wrote: »
    and you shouldnt be allowed near the internet but hey.. :rolleyes:

You're both class acts. well done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Happened to my mother years ago too with me. Was in Penneys on Mary Street and I wandered off. My mum ran up to security and they started looking for me. I was happily helping the ladies hang clothes on the racks when they found me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Chewbacca.

Voltex wrote: »
    you shouldnt be allowed post on boards.

Ah ,the terrible parent can't handle the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

dont be such an ass. I got lost while in Dunnes as a young child, probably just wandered away from my mother. it can happen easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Idiot

Explain will ya ??????????:confused:.

Dying to hear this.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Kids got briefly lost all the time OP, scary stuff but hardly a sign of bad parenting despite what another poster has said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Idiot
    You can't be serious.

OP glad you got it sorted. We though we lost our son in Ibiza when he was 6. The police spotted us panicking and got the locals to help look for him. He was in the toilet. What a scary few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Typical response I was kinda expecting off this individual.....shame.. theres always one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Similar thing happened to me a few months ago. I was in Dunnes with my three year old son and was buying a shirt and pants for work. Took my eyes off him for a second and he disappeared. I tried to stay calm but after a couple of minutes of walking around the racks calling his name, I was just about to call the staff to give me a hand when I heard a sniggering sound coming from beneath a rack of belts. The little maggot had crawled in there to hide from me and was waiting for me to pass by and he planned on jumping out with a loud BOO! :)
    I share your pain, OP. Worst few minutes of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

The thing that I most took away with me was the knowledge that 99.99% of people are there to help in situations like that....I have to say that having seen so many people helping..so quickly..it nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

We can see you need help,and there I was thinking you might not be a bad parent bad_parenting_17.jpg

get that smile off your face ,Idiot

do one :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭MackQ

My brother went missing from a shopping centre when he was about 3. Police spotted him at a roundabout on the outskirts of town about an hour later. He was "heading for his granny's house" but was heading in the wrong direction. He arrived back at the shopping centre in the police the car, waving like a celebrity. Think it put 30 years on my parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭NauP

Voltex wrote: »
    The thing that I most took away with me was the knowledge that 99.99% of people are there to help in situations like that....I have to say that having seen so many people helping..so quickly..it nice.

As someone in the shopping centre industry i would like to say that this is a frequent occurance, in fact, daily. There is a system in many centres called the "Child Safe System". When you enter the centre, you avail of a wrist band on which you write your contact info (mobile) and put on your childs wrist. This makes locating a guardian much easier for the security staff - customer service etc. There are a number of other aspects to the system but i won't bother going into it at the moment as the afternoons rugby celebtations are catching up.............,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Chewbacca banned for one week from Parenting. Please folks, stop feeding the trolls :|

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

A bit of a tangent ... but related I think...

Does anyone use baby reins? Why or why not?

Some discussion from The Times... http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/body_and_soul/article3374925.ece

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

We used to every so often. If one of us was out with our two 2 year olds who wanted to go their own way then we used them the odd time. They were handy also in places like the zoo. Most of the time they were tucked into their coats though just in case they were needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

I used to 'go missing' on purpose in shopping centres.

Gave my mum several small heart attacks but used to love when they called my name out over the intercom! :o:D

I'm a terrible person!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Kids have a way for for making us look like bad parents. All parents geneally know this. It happens to all of us especially me...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

My headstrong older sister went missing when she was about very small in Dunnes Stores.
    My panicked mother was much relived to hear a voice on the PA System announce: 'Would the missing mother of <Insert childs full name name> please come to the customer service desk immediately'.

Then to the increasing amusement of staff and watchers on, my sister crossly chastised my mother as she arrived at the customer service for 'getting lost mammy, SILLY mammy.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭BennyBlanko

Whilst Chewbacca's approach was poor, maybe the opinion he had needs discussion.
    All it takes is 30 Secs of some sicko to make a move on its pray which could have been your child.

Op, do you need to revise the way you shop with your kids in tow? Or do you need to leave your shopping till later when they are in Bed and go shopping then. Like most of the big supermarkets are open 24/7. I like to go shopping at 11pm, with no kids in tow and easy to get everything I want.

This is worth considering doing in the future so you and your kids will not be stressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 desper8hsewife

night mare is right - happened to me last yr! happens to the best of us - such a shock though!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,363 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Whilst Chewbacca's approach was poor, maybe the opinion he had needs discussion.
    All it takes is 30 Secs of some sicko to make a move on its pray which could have been your child.

Op, do you need to revise the way you shop with your kids in tow? Or do you need to leave your shopping till later when they are in Bed and go shopping then. Like most of the big supermarkets are open 24/7. I like to go shopping at 11pm, with no kids in tow and easy to get everything I want.

This is worth considering doing in the future so you and your kids will not be stressed.

I think you are buying into the media hype about there being a child abuser behind every lamppost. its got so bad in London that fathers arent allowed into play grounds with their kids.

Everyone needs to be sensible but try weigh the risks rationally. for example when ours our going on play dates, we often have to remind the other mothers to have a car seat for our guy and often they dont.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

We can see you need help,and there I was thinking you might not be a bad parent bad_parenting_17.jpg

get that smile off your face ,Idiot

Mr Bacca is an obvious troll. So boringly obvious. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Glad it worked out well in the end. Especially with the James Bolger case in the news again.

Myself (3) my brother (2) and my other brother (6) were in Disney land (California) 20+ year agos with my parents and my aunt. Myself and my older brother had restrainer leash things but my younger brother who was in the buggy didn't.

Anyway at some point while everyone was looking in a different direction, my brother unbuckled himself from the buggy, and crawled out. Within moments he had been lost in the crowd (hundreds of people) and very short time later a parade came by with mickey and minnie or whatever bisecting the area we were all standing.

As soon as they knew he was missing my parents frantically started looking everywhere. All to no avail. What happened was, he was picked up quite quickly by the patrolling police/security guys whose policy it was to immediately collect 'abandoned' children and bring them to the collection point. Unfortunately this was on the other side of the theme park and all in all, took over an hour for us to be reunited.

At the time, abduction and kidnapping probably was as big a worry then in California as it is in Ireland now. Anyway, just retelling the story because kids frequently do go 'missing' in densely populated areas like shopping centres and theme parks especially when there are so many little nooks and crannys and rows and aisles for them to wander in and out of and get lost. Thank god they are usually followed by their prompt discovery. It's not a reflection on the parenting, it can happen to anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭BennyBlanko

I think you are buying into the media hype about there being a child abuser behind every lamppost.

I think if you are lax like the OP and let your kids out of your sight, paedos (and there's plenty round,everywhere, its not hype) get their chance to do their worst.

Letting kids out of your sight is easy but will not happen when they are @ home. Do the shopping when all these paedo scumbags are not prowling......simple.:rolleyes:

Advertisement