Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My child was lost for a time today!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Kids will be kids, I would say I am a good parent, but the exact same thing happened to me.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I think if you are lax like the OP and let your kids out of your sight, paedos (and there's plenty round,everywhere, its not hype) get their chance to do their worst.

Letting kids out of your sight is easy but will not happen when they are @ home. Do the shopping when all these paedo scumbags are not prowling......simple.:rolleyes:

Yet another bloody troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I think if you are lax like the OP and let your kids out of your sight, paedos (and there's plenty round,everywhere, its not hype) get their chance to do their worst.

Letting kids out of your sight is easy but will not happen when they are @ home. Do the shopping when all these paedo scumbags are not prowling......simple.:rolleyes:
    It is well documented that the vast majority of abuse is carried out by people known to the child i.e. Family members and friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Nice ! BennyBlanko!! not biting this time>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I dread it ever happening. It hasn't happened to me although I can see how it might easily come about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Whilst Chewbacca's approach was poor, maybe the opinion he had needs discussion.
    Doubtful it's really his opinion though... :)
    All it takes is 30 Secs of some sicko to make a move on its pray which could have been your child.
    I think the concern is more the child running off and nowhere to be found, rather than some sicko snatching them.
    At the time, abduction and kidnapping probably was as big a worry then in California as it is in Ireland now.
    I wonder why it's such a concern in Ireland today - I mean, is it happening on a regular basis?

Oh yeah, there's the answer to my question above: scaremongering...

It's not lax parenting either - all it takes is looking away for a split second. My heart goes out to anyone it happens to, even if they find their child in mere seconds - must be terrifying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭BennyBlanko

cooperguy wrote: »
    It is well documented that the vast majority of abuse is carried out by people known to the child i.e. Family members and friends.

Yes, true.
    But we're not referring to that kind of scum preditor. Its the one's who cruze looking for distraught kids, in public places.
    And NO, I'm not a troll. Its not fair being called a troll the minute you offer a new perspective, or if you go against the grain of the expected or desired supportive opinion. The OP came on here looking for support it seems for what happened to them and let me be clear, what happened to them was horrible. But it was lax and unfortunate. Luckily they got the kid back, safe and sound. I'm glad of that.

You're aware of many such stories are you? Actual real ones I mean?

Dudess wrote: »
    You're aware of many such stories are you? Actual real ones I mean?

which?
    come, try and make me out to be a troll like the others?

Children being snatched on a regular basis by paedophiles - that RARELY happens, especially here. You're suspected of being a troll because of such unsubstantiated, OTT remarks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭themysteriouson

Whilst Chewbacca's approach was poor, maybe the opinion he had needs discussion.
    All it takes is 30 Secs of some sicko to make a move on its pray which could have been your child.

Op, do you need to revise the way you shop with your kids in tow? Or do you need to leave your shopping till later when they are in Bed and go shopping then. Like most of the big supermarkets are open 24/7. I like to go shopping at 11pm, with no kids in tow and easy to get everything I want.

This is worth considering doing in the future so you and your kids will not be stressed.

It's all well and good saying to go shopping when the kids are asleep but unfortunately there are a lot of single parents who cannot do this realistically. Who minds the child while your shopping?? Unless you have a partner there at home to watch the children that approach wouldnt really be any use.

A good alternative is using a wrist link so that the child doesnt feel the restriction of a full harness and therefore feels a little more comfortable.

A good alternative is using a wrist link so that the child doesnt feel the restriction of a full harness and therefore feels a little more comfortable.

Yep, thats a good idea that.

Children being snatched on a regular basis by paedophiles - that RARELY happens, especially here. You're suspected of being a troll because of such unsubstantiated, OTT remarks.

ahhh shure you'll be suspected of feeding this troll soon:rolleyes:
    Lots of kids all over the world have been abducted over the years, but you'd like me to list them all for you?
    Get real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think if you are lax like the OP and let your kids out of your sight, ...Letting kids out of your sight is easy but will not happen when they are @ home. .....:rolleyes:

Its impossible to function and keep your eyes on something 24/7 at home or not. Its like someone saying you have to look 360 when driving. Thats also impossible.

@BostonB, see themysteriouson's idea above which I think is a good solution.
    It's all about good parenting and tooling yourself up for the task in hand which is going into public places where you may become seperated with your offspring and not be whinging about it if it all goes wrong (ala the McCanns).
    And get real indeed to you sir on your poor driving analagy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

My mum still talks about when I was 2 and I toddled away from her in a book shop. After much hyperventilating I was eventually found sitting in one of these babies.

So I can kind of understand the pain of a parent in distress.

...A good alternative is using a wrist link so that the child doesnt feel the restriction of a full harness and therefore feels a little more comfortable.

Only lasts a short while before they work out how to escape that one though. Also I'm a bit paranoid about "pulled elbow" but its pretty hard to avoid situations where that might happen. Theres too many of them.

It's all about good parenting and tooling yourself up for the task in hand which is going into public places where you may become seperated with your offspring ....

You usually have no warning of knowing when a kid has outgrown a restraint. So tooling up as you call it, is not a guarantee of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

This thread is starting to do my noodle in a bit. What happened to the OP could happen to anyone (god forbid) so be kind please.

Benny: Your paedos / shop when they're not prowling comment was OTT. Take it easy please.

Everyone else: If you think someone's trolling just report it. We'll be slower to get to it at the weekend, but it'll happen.

Lots of kids all over the world have been abducted over the years
    Yes, in extremely impoverished areas of Asia, Africa and South America. It's hardly the typical occurrence in an Irish supermarket, the way you're making things out to be. Maybe don't pay as much heed to the hysteria media? The world has become that bit more difficult for men (e.g. teachers) in terms of how they interact with children, because of such paranoia.
    going into public places where you may become seperated with your offspring and not be whinging about it if it all goes wrong (ala the McCanns).
    The McCanns' situation is hardly comparable to a parent momentarily diverting their gaze from their child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,363 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Yes, in extremely impoverished areas of Asia, Africa and South America. It's hardly the typical occurrence in an Irish supermarket, the way you're making things out to be. Maybe don't pay as much heed to the hysteria media? The world has become that bit more difficult for men (e.g. teachers) in terms of how they interact with children, because of such paranoia.

fully agree. Lets be honest the biggest risk to kids in Ireland is diabetes and other health problems due to bad diet and not enough exercise.
    Most parent are responsible but at the same time one has to let kids have some freedom or they will grow up useless to the world. Wrapping kids in bubble wrap and hand cuffing them to the mother is not the way forward.

Oddly enough I was picking up my kid from a music class on Sat and one of the kids walked out of the gate but the other parent was not there. I basically pointed her back to the door and told her to wait for her parents to show up. However felt it wasnt my place to lead her in personally, the fear is counter productive and it cant be healthy for kids to know that strangers will tend to be cold and formal towards them for fear of the behaviour being misinterpred

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

OP, I feel your pain, it's the most horrible feeling when you turn around and your little one is not where you expect her/him to be.

I have been interested in the reaction of some people here , I truly think the main risk in this country ( Ireland ) is traffic not being abducted or whatever.

I had a conversation with a taxi driver , I was giving out about people driving little johnny to school ( or rather their 12/13/14/15 YO ). He said that you had to drive them to school because of ' child abduction '. I had to laugh , and asked him how many kids have been abducted in the greater Dublin area this year ?? ( that puts some perspective on it ).

Now as for how to deal with a kid you find , awkward isn't it ( as a male ).

Scenario , you are walking up street , little girl/boy of 5-6 running around crying on her own , do you ....

a) Stop comfort the child try to find parents
    b) Phone Gardai
    c) cross the road
    d) Try to find the parents without comforting the little child

Now run the scene on a little , after I hope you have all chosen a)

Your actions are mistaken by some people ( some of whom have posted on this thread ) and you are accused of trying to abduct said child , what is your defence ??

I think 99% of the time you would be fine , but I am sure there is a niggle in your mind that you may be accused wrongly .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It happens as much now as it did in the 1950's, the problem now a days is the media hype things up and create a level of fear...the fear of snatches are high but the levels are low.

The fear alone doesn't justify people overreacting in fairness the fear of zombies is high but the actual level of zombie's is at a all time low :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

OP I hope you're feeling better now. It's a parent's greatest nightmare.

Perhaps now your child is 3 it's a good time to teach them your fullname, address and phone number in case they decide to go for a wander again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Or to do what my Mam did when we were at age put a note in our pockets with her name an address, I remember her doing that when my brother was 3 and we were going to the st paticks day parade.

It can happen, be it in a large stop like pennies or a park where they go out of sight under a hedge or a rail of clothes and the panic attack is unbelievable, esp the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

That's not a bad idea. I've been beating the mobile phone number into my youngfellas head since he was old enough to even potentially remember it. We also have a "special whistle". In fact there's nothing special about it. It's the bog standard whistle (high, low, high) but my dad did it with me, told me that it was "our special whistle" if I ever heard it to move towards it and I got lost on the beach once as a youngfella and it worked a treat so we use it ourselves. If you can whistle very loud this is very useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It's a great idea, considering you can just add a mobile number these days.

We found a lost girl in Blanchardstown centre a few weeks back and had to bring her to security. The look on her parent's face when they arrived dispelled any guff about whether they were "good" parents or not.

Cabaal wrote: »
    It happens as much now as it did in the 1950's, the problem now a days is the media hype things up and create a level of fear...the fear of snatches are high but the levels are low.

The fear alone doesn't justify people overreacting in fairness the fear of zombies is high but the actual level of zombie's is at a all time low :)

I don't get many warning from the school about zombies, but we do about recent approaches to kids in the area and to be alert to it. Dunno about the 50's never seen stats,even of current figures. But its enough just to aware of it, and take reasonable precautions without going overboard. That said I know a few that take no precautions and the kids are allowed to wander all over the road, and often they have no idea where their kids are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The whilstle sounds like a good idea, we use the game Marco, Polo in the same manner.

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »
    The whilstle sounds like a good idea, we use the game Marco, Polo in the same manner.

Whats that game?

Advertisement