Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting work in South East Asia

Options
  • 13-03-2010 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

I have been visiting South East Asia for 5 years on and off. I have fallen in love with the place. The culture, the food and mostly the people. It is my aim to obtain work in either Vietnam or Thailand. I have a mate living in Vietnam and would love to move there.

Does anyone know of ways to gain employment there? I am a Mechanical Engineer if that is any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

Hello Jay Walker..
    Getting work should not be a problem.. The language barrier will be tough
    espically in your line if work.. If you can speak Thai or Vietnamise then its not a problem however if not yau may be better working in the tourist industry as most of the people you will be dealing with will have good englinh..Well in Thailand anyway..however im told in Vietnam most of the people have little or no english... Starting up your own buisness may be another option...

Regards
    Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Jay Walker

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply. I understand what you are saying regarding the language. I would class myself as a good quick learner. I have started to learn Thai and I have picked up a fair few words over the past few years. I'm sure I could grasp Vietnamese. If I could just find an employer willing to take a chance on me in South East Asia, I would be a happy man. I truely have fallen in love with the place. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

Hello Again Jay..
    So your learning Thai..Thats a good start.. so im thinking your leaning twoards
    Thailand other than Vietnam.. your best bet to get work quickly would be to head to one if the islands.. I know Koh Samui is booming at the moment if you wanted to do construction work i was there 5 weeks ago and there are new hotels bungalows poping up everywhere... The first thing you will have to do is get your work visa..you will find all the info you need here.. www.thaivisa. your best bet is to go there on a holiday visa that is valid for 30 days but you can extend it for another 30... Warning do NOT overstay!! once your there you can look for work.. and also appily for a work permit...I hope this is of some help to you.. And your so very right it is very easy to fall in love with this place.. its truly paradice.. Thats why its called the land of smiles:D
    Regards
    Tom

Advertisement