Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I really don't get why people keep X animal"

Options
  • 13-03-2010 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

Are there any animals that others keep, that you really don't see the appeal of?
    For me, I could never keep snakes, arachnids (spiders) or things like scorpions (sorry Hellrazer!).
    I really can't see what enjoyment you'd get from them. They're not known for their affection, they don't do a whole lot and the food they eat is gross- dead mice, locusts, crickets? No thanks!
    Similarly, I would never keep a monkey. Granted, they are lively, interesting and intelligent, but they creep the hell out of me! I just don't like their faces and hands- they're too human, if that makes sense!

I find that a lot of people really dislike gerbils and hamsters. Any time I have been in a petshop buying one, or any time I've seen someone else buying one, there is always some middle aged biddy (:rolleyes:) standing 10 feet away going "Is that a rat? Ewww they're disgusting!".
    I also get comments as a cat owner "Eww I hate cats, why would you ever keep one, horrible selfish things".

So what animal is it that you would never keep?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I hear alot of people say, "I hate cats, their dirty, but I like dogs" which I think is so funny, because cats are so clean!

And my mother calls my baby guinea pig a rat!

I wouldn't really like spiders or scorpions, but wouldn't mind snakes or lizards (except for feeding snakes mice, dunno if I could do that, or lizards with crickets, I could get a vegetarian lizard!). I guess people find spiders etc. interesting to keep, more than nice to cuddle!

I wouldn't mind fish either, I think they'd be nice to keep in the same way, interesting to have and to watch.

I would love a monkey as a pet though! It would be amazing. (Obviously not one caught in the wild though.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Birds

Cats.....like cats but dont really think it is a good thing to keep them in an urban environ and let them out; more for their own safety really as a lot of nutters out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Hermit07

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder:D

Ive a hermit crab (hence my username, I'm really not a hermit)

Ive also dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits, budgies, mice etc down tru the years. Ive shown dogs to champtionship level.

I dont want a monkey coz it would remind me too much of my ex except the monkey would probably be more intellegent.

Spiders, snakes etc wouldnt bother me but I dont think I would want to share my fridge with frozen mice, pinkies etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

I get why people are into keeping all sorts of animals. Were all different and like different things. As long as they are cared for properly, why not?
    For me personally, I couldnt keep Fish or Birds. Their enclosures look too enclosed...if you know what I mean?

I'm hell bent on getting a pig. Any type of pig, it doesnt matter! I love them! But the looks I get are hilarious because any one who knows me, knows that it will probably sleep at the end of the bed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭bl8ckh8art

There's no mystery behind keeping exotic pets. People keep them simply because they can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Magenta wrote: »
    Are there any animals that others keep, that you really don't see the appeal of?
    For me, I could never keep snakes, arachnids (spiders) or things like scorpions (sorry Hellrazer!).
    I really can't see what enjoyment you'd get from them. They're not known for their affection, they don't do a whole lot and the food they eat is gross- dead mice, locusts, crickets? No thanks!
    Similarly, I would never keep a monkey. Granted, they are lively, interesting and intelligent, but they creep the hell out of me! I just don't like their faces and hands- they're too human, if that makes sense!

I find that a lot of people really dislike gerbils and hamsters. Any time I have been in a petshop buying one, or any time I've seen someone else buying one, there is always some middle aged biddy (:rolleyes:) standing 10 feet away going "Is that a rat? Ewww they're disgusting!".
    I also get comments as a cat owner "Eww I hate cats, why would you ever keep one, horrible selfish things".

So what animal is it that you would never keep?

Apply what I put in bold to other peoples attitude towards your interests... :rolleyes:

Each to their own.

bl8ckh8art wrote: »
    There's no mystery behind keeping exotic pets. People keep them simply because they can.

OR maybe, just maybe, it's because they are interested in that type of animal and it so happens to be unconventional and not considered the norm...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭bl8ckh8art

Yep, that's what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Apply what I put in bold to other peoples attitude towards your interests... :rolleyes:

Each to their own.

In case it hadn't dawned on you, this thread is supposed to be light hearted.
    And note when I say I don't like a certain animal, that doesn't mean I go around blowing the heads off them. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

In case it hadn't dawned on you, this thread is supposed to be light hearted.
    And note when I say I don't like a certain animal, that doesn't mean I go around blowing the heads off them. :rolleyes:

Who does that?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Magenta,Iamxavier--I really dont think the 2 of you should post in the same thread.

Too much friction there if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I hate spiders. Anything with more than 4 legs just causes some silly panic in me.

Even at that, I would imagine, if you were not afraid of them, they would be an interesting pet.

I never took to having fish. Unless they have a very enriched environment, surely it's a very boring life. Same with caged birds. I can see the attraction, but maybe would worry too much about how "fulfilled" they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

I can see what you mean by people keeping "strange" pets and you think it's disgusting but alot of people think that dogs are scary or even that hamsters are dirty rodents blah blah blah.

Have to agree with Iamxavier defo.

I had a pet snake (called her fluffy) and I certainly didn't keep her just because I could. I really enjoyed playing with her, buying her things to climb on, watching her eat/follow my finger. They're really interesting pets and absolutely fascinating to watch.

I don't have her anymore (moved to an apartment and her tank was far too large) but miss taking her out etc.

I wouldn't keep a spider but that's simply because I have an irrational fear of them.

Each to their own!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

(spiders) or things like scorpions (sorry Hellrazer!).

I'm not a fan of spiders but scorpions are okay, although my ones used to balance on their tail against the side of the viv during their attempts to escape which makes them look just like facehuggers. you'd hear a tap tap during the night and you'd know they were in facehugger mode :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I never took to having fish. Unless they have a very enriched environment, surely it's a very boring life. Same with caged birds. I can see the attraction, but maybe would worry too much about how "fulfilled" they are.

I always wonder with fish, is there life boring? If you have quite a large aquarium, other fish, and some plants and such, is that boring for them or not? I wonder the same with snakes and lizards, especially ones who have to live alone. But maybe they aren't bored, I don't know.

And with caged birds, if they're in a quite large aviary, is that cruel or ok? Some people say it's wrong because birds should fly free, but don't think it's cruel to have a guinea pig or hamster or gerbil in a large cage, because they don't fly, or even a dog in a backyard. Hmm, I dunno . . . ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Each to their own, I think :)

Personally, I'm not too adventurous with animals. I'm a dog person and that's about it!

I can understand people wanting to keep any sort of animal, people have different tastes and different ideas on what constitutes a good pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I love seeing the bearded dragons, geko's and other small lizards in the pet shop, I think they'd be interesting, but the bigger lizards would put me off I think, mainly due to their size and my worrying they were too cramped. Also wouldn't mind a big spider, but don't know enough about them, same with snakes. I'd love more pets(guineas and rabbits, rats, maybe other rodents) but its just not a good time. I love birds but would hate keeping one in a cage, it would make me sad seeing it caged and I'd worry it was bored.
    Fish I just don't see the appeal of, yes they're pretty to look at but thats about it.
    I'll stick with the cats and dogs for now, they keep me busy enough.
    I agree with some other posts here about Monkeys, they'd give me the creeps, blame my dad for letting me watch planet of the apes as a small girl.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭cos!!

Dont think there are many animals i wouldnt keep if i knew i could provide proper space and adequate living conditions for them. I keep lizards, snakes, tarantulas, birds and fish at the moment!

Couldn't possibly keep a spider I would be mega freaked out. But apparently they make good pets *shudder*

Apart from that I like most pets, I could be talked into anything I think. I love snakes and lizards, hamsters, rabbits etc.

Probably wouldn't keep a cat. Never was too pushed on those!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Probably wouldn't keep a cat. Never was too pushed on those!

Get one as a kitten; you will be converted.
    look at these pics http://www.olivepixel.com/misc/kitten/ (link shamelessly robbed from reddit) ...if that doesn't bring a smile to your face!

Every cat I ever had, current one who is about 5 years old, was a stray kitten who just turned up one night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

I don't like spiders and similar creatures but I can absolutely see why people keep them; they're fascinating.

I don't understand how anybody can keep birds. It upsets me to think of a bird stuck in a cage or even an aviary where there's a whole sky out there.

I'm not a fool, I know the arguments for and against keeping birds but it's just not something I'd ever want to do.

I also know you could apply my argument to just about any animal kept as a pet but birds are just really the commonly-seen pets that get to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 TheMetalComet

i have five happy healthy budgies, who live in a huge cage in my apartment and have the whole room to fly around in the evening. i no from their behaviour they are not unhappy/depressed/bored. they have loads of toys, different foods and a bath to play in.

spiders are the only pet i couldnt keep myself. im just afraid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neelyohara

I can understand why people would be interested in exotics but reasons for keeping african land snails is just beyond me!

The cold body with slime and goo makes me feel a bit queasy... and that's just our native species! The idea of a super-sized big ass snail? *shudder*
    12070785301t4Z5D.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Each to their own.

OR maybe, just maybe, it's because they are interested in that type of animal and it so happens to be unconventional and not considered the norm...?
    snakes would be a big no no for me
    i have had fish, hamsters, (guinea pig we rescued at a fair told the stall holder i would report him if he did not hand over, ) rabbits, one was rescue now have a few cats that strayed in got them spayed, and the love of my life my jack russells

Advertisement