Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking to get a few bits for €300

• 13-03-2010 10:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    (torn between waiting and getting new pentX k-x or getting older, cheaper camera & a lens or two now)
    if I'm looking at older, cheaper camera e.g. Canon 300d/digital rebel or something like that. If budget is $400 what would you recommend?
    Brand doesn't matter, 2nd hand obviously.
    I'd like body, kit lens or maybe lens with a bit longer reach than 55mm ( is that good idea/what's the advantage of kit lens?).
    Also (if not stretching budget) a nifty fifty as well (would this be beat lens for toddler/baby shots?)
    I don't mind getting an old camera EOS 20 or something- just looking for a 'set' to get me started.
    I'd probably get from USA, have a friend there so no problem with delivery etc.
    Amazon have Pentax k-x with kit lens and 55-300 (I think) for €470 I think. Could be worth waiting till my birthday((July) but presuming I dint wait what could I get for €300 approx.
    cheers
    pa.

Comments

If you're just getting into photography, I'd go for something cheap, but broad.

I'm just starting out, and I've gotten myself a Second hand Canon 20D on adverts.ie. I have an Olympus E-420 that I bought new, but I picked up the canon because it looks like, if i want to start looking into different things, most equipment for Canon can be found easier and cheaper second hand than Olympus stuff.

With that in mind, I'd probably stick to Canon or Nikon for a first DSLR and would only buy cheap ass lenses or kit lenses.

My personal theory is that, if I want to try out macro photography, I can pick up a cheap ass macro lens on ebay or adverts for my camera (canon or olympus, whichever is cheaper) and try my luck. If i decide I don't care for Macro, then i move on. If i take a huge interest in it and really start enjoying it, I can invest in a better, more expensive lens and sell the one i have.

At the moment, both cameras have similar basic lenses (14-42 & 18-55) but I do have a 40-150mm lens for the Olympus and a flash gun, too. So with those two pieces of equipment (which cost about €300 overall, bought seperately at different times) i can be kept busy and occupied for a while, whilst still having a more 'basic' ordinary lens for other stuff.

That's my own opinion though. I'm sure if you mooch on adverts there's some stuff you could pick up.

For example;

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=196848&cat=197

Doesn't have any lenses, but it does have some of the other items you'd most likely buy over time anyway. If you didn't want some of the stuff (bag or batteries, etc.) you could always sell them off and make some money back.

HYou could buy either of these along with the above camera and you'd still be keeping inside €300:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-EF-50mm-F1-8-II-Lens-50-f-1-8-For-500D-50D-L019_W0QQitemZ290413239611QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN?hash=item439dfa5d3b

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-EF-28-80mm-II-Zoom-lens-for-EOS-300D-10D-20D-350D_W0QQitemZ200449468603QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN?hash=item2eabb828bb

(I'm still very new to photography as I say, so it's worth checking more in-depth the compatibility of the lens/camera before buying, with someone more experienced or knowledgeabe, though I reckon they're all fine).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

For example;

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.ph...196848&cat=197

Doesn't have any lenses, but it does have some of the other items you'd most likely buy over time anyway. If you didn't want some of the stuff (bag or batteries, etc.) you could always sell them off and make some money back.

Dude, that's an amazing deal! I shoot with a 10D and it's a great camera. Can get pretty heavy, but it's a cracker.

zoegh wrote: »
    Dude, that's an amazing deal! I shoot with a 10D and it's a great camera. Can get pretty heavy, but it's a cracker.

I completely agree. It's a fantastic deal, which is why I believe the OP should snap it up whilst its there. :)

Advertisement