Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical Training in UK or Ireland - future prospects?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 IrishGirl2345

Hi,

I was hoping to get an update on this thread. I am a recent university graduate and was considering applying for graduate entry medical school in Ireland next year. Are the conditions within the HSE still as bad for doctors at present? Is there any signs that things will worsen or improve? I'm just looking for general information to help me make the decision about whether to pursue a career in medicine so any advice or information will be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

Hi,

I was hoping to get an update on this thread. I am a recent university graduate and was considering applying for graduate entry medical school in Ireland next year. Are the conditions within the HSE still as bad for doctors at present? Is there any signs that things will worsen or improve? I'm just looking for general information to help me make the decision about whether to pursue a career in medicine so any advice or information will be much appreciated.

I can happily assure you that things are as bad as ever and getting worse in the HSE. My friends who remain in medicine in Ireland seem to be using most of their downtime to try and drink themselves to death. Crazy hours ( combined with the hypocrisy of the HSE pretending they have improved them and all is well ), huge amounts of scut work which takes hours a day and no pay for and no career structure are all common practices. Plus big budget cut ahead - another 500 million off the top, that will improve things. Best thing you can do before you commit yourself to penury and exploitation would be to find a hospital doctor and sit down with them, talk through all this.

PS Applies to working in Ireland only. Things are quite ticketty-boo ( if somewhat crowded ) in OZ/NZ

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

ThatDrGuy wrote: »
    I can happily assure you that things are as bad as ever and getting worse in the HSE. My friends who remain in medicine in Ireland seem to be using most of their downtime to try and drink themselves to death. Crazy hours ( combined with the hypocrisy of the HSE pretending they have improved them and all is well ), huge amounts of scut work which takes hours a day and no pay for and no career structure are all common practices. Plus big budget cut ahead - another 500 million off the top, that will improve things. Best thing you can do before you commit yourself to penury and exploitation would be to find a hospital doctor and sit down with them, talk through all this.

PS Applies to working in Ireland only. Things are quite ticketty-boo ( if somewhat crowded ) in OZ/NZ

You'd want to tell your friends to cop on.

Advertisement