Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banning Head Shop in Bray

• 14-03-2010 12:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭

I was in the main Street of Bray today Saturday 13th March. I was passing the Church in the Bray Town, I was accosted by a gentleman asking me to sign a petition to ban the local Head Shop.

I think before they look to ban these shops, there are more serious drugs doing the rounds in Bray Town.

Any input to my thoughts?...thank's

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Sure there are more serious drugs doing the rounds but there not being sold legally in a shop on the main street. And TBH, nobody knows as yet what affect these legal drugs may have if used in the long term.
    I heard, too late, that there was a march in Bray on saturday to ban the Head Shop but had I known I would've joined in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think before they look to ban these shops, there are more serious drugs doing the rounds in Bray Town.

Any input to my thoughts?...thank's
    Well actually how do you know how serious the drugs from the head shop are?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭bildo

If you don't like em, don't go in them.
    Many people dislike the idea of sex shops but banning things people want is just stupid and socially destructive.
    And alcohol is far more dangerous than anything you'll find in a headshop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

Johnnymcg wrote: »

I never said how serious they were,? I just gave my opinion and opened a debate. Maybe an opinion from you would serve better?

Johnnymcg wrote: »

We don't-that's the problem...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I never said how serious they were,? I just gave my opinion and opened a debate. Maybe an opinion from you would serve better?

But that is my opinion - that we don't actually know whether what is sold in the head shops is worse than stuff sold on the streets

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

bildo wrote: »
    If you don't like em, don't go in them.
    Many people dislike the idea of sex shops but banning things people want is just stupid and socially destructive.
    And alcohol is far more dangerous than anything you'll find in a headshop.

Agreed alchohol can be dangerous but sadly this is now an acceptable drug which is misused alot. However, as we don't know much about the effects of headshop drugs, I don't think we can say alchohol is the more dangerous of the two....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

Splendour wrote: »
    Agreed alchohol can be dangerous but sadly this is now an acceptable drug which is misused alot. However, as we don't know much about the effects of headshop drugs, I don't think we can say alchohol is the more dangerous of the two....

Well now we seem to be going somewhere, most of us like a few drinks. Some of us like a little bit more than others, in the end you do the damage to yourself. It's the same with tobacco to much of anything bad for you will eventually kill you.

I was speaking of the drugs that are being sold on the streets, these demon drugs should be tackled, before the Head Shops being banned.

I honestly know nothing about what is sold in these Head Shops and what real effect they are having on people.no matter what is sold legal or not we will never completely stamp it out....

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

A compromise has to happen here. An outright ban is ridiculous.

I do believe that Head shops should be licensed premises which have (by the terms of their licence) to be a set distance from schools, I dont think they should be allowed have such garish and open advertising. Limit it in a similar way to tobacco sellers not being allowed have open advertising.

Remember though, anecdotal evidence suggests that illegal drug sales have fallen in the last few months since the prevalence of head shops has come to a head.

Two fires set by masked raiders and three separate incidents (nationally not just Bray) with "suspicious devices" being found outside head shops and claims made by local drug gangs that they will keep this going on, this just highlights that custom is shifting towards legal and taxable highs, rather than drug dealers. Essentially, legal highs mean less money for drug dealers, its hard to argue with that. But the country should find a balanced compromise (including better clinical tests, licensing and taxation) and not a reactionary ban that will simply ensure the return to a non regulated, untaxable and dangerous illegal trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

father-ted-careful-now.jpg

• Advertisement

Well now we seem to be going somewhere, most of us like a few drinks. Some of us like a little bit more than others, in the end you do the damage to yourself. It's the same with tobacco to much of anything bad for you will eventually kill you.

I was speaking of the drugs that are being sold on the streets, these demon drugs should be tackled, before the Head Shops being banned.

I honestly know nothing about what is sold in these Head Shops and what real effect they are having on people.no matter what is sold legal or not we will never completely stamp it out....

Whereas too much alchohol/drugs/tobacco isn't healthy, I think there are more drug related crimes than there are alchohol. How many times have we heard of burglaries done so a user can feed their habit..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there's a lengthy discussion of Head Shops going on here (though it's in After Hours so the standard of debate may not be the highest) - not a Wicklow specific issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement