Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Options

Options
  • 14-03-2010 1:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

Basically, I have to make up my options for my leaving cert now, and I'm stuck between choosing Geography and Business. I have a couple of questions in regards to them:

- Does having a good teacher change things?
    - Is the Business Studies course for the Junior Cert a fair indication of the Business Studies subject?
    - Is the Geography course more focused on physical or human geography?
    - Which is more useful overall for college (as in, which would look better or be a requirement on more specific course requirements) ?
    - Which have you found easier to get points in?
    - Is there an overlap between Geography or Business with Economics or History?

Answers to any of the above questions would be a huge help :).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

- Does having a good teacher change things?
    It helps regardless of the subject
    Is the Business Studies course for the Junior Cert a fair indication of the Business Studies subject?
    No, in HL for the LC you have one paper and barely any accounting
    Is the Geography course more focused on physical or human geography?
    Neither you answer the same amount of long questions for both Physical and Human geography
    Which is more useful overall for college (as in, which would look better or be a requirement on more specific course requirements) ?
    It depends what you want to do if you want to do Business in College than Business would look better or if you wanted to Geology than Geography would look better
    Which have you found easier to get points in?
    Geography is easier to study, can make fairly accurate positions and have alot of choice on which questions to do. You have to really know your stuff in geography though. business is harder to study because it is longer and there are very few short cuts you can take. it is easier to get full marks per question than geography
    Is there an overlap between Geography or Business with Economics or History?
    Business and Geography do overlap with the EU being covered in depth in both courses and Economic geography aswell has a bit of the business course in it aswell.

I personally wouldn't do Geography and History as both have projects attached to the course which are long and are due in near when people do their orals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭I.Am.A.Panda

No, in HL for the LC you have one paper and barely any accounting
    Does the theory such as industrial relations, insurance, banking and business documents come up??

Geography is easier to study, can make fairly accurate positions and have alot of choice on which questions to do. You have to really know your stuff in geography though. business is harder to study because it is longer and there are very few short cuts you can take. it is easier to get full marks per question than geography
    So as long as you can study Geography you can get the marks? A bit like the JC?

personally wouldn't do Geography and History as both have projects attached to the course which are long and are due in near when people do their orals.
    When are the projects normally assigned?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Does the theory such as industrial relations, insurance, banking and business documents come up??

Cant help you with the Geog but for Business, Industrial Relations and Insurance are covered in detail, Banking is covered somewhat and Business Documents, i don't think so, unless I was out that day:pac:

The business course is pretty much all theory, there is very little accounting. The only accounting you have to do is "Interpretation of Accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

I do both business and geography. Didn't study them for the mocks. I am doing honours in both and I got a D3 in business and a B1 in Geography so in my opinion Geography is a lot easier!

In Geo you do a project worth 20% - if you listen to your teacher and use some common sense you should get maybe 15% for it. The short questions are pretty easy - the same diagrams come up. In fact, even the same long questions come up every year. You study 3 of 4 sections - physical, regional, human and economic. And there is a LOT of choice in the exam. And if you're doing honours you answer a question on geoecology, or one of the other options.

Whereas in business...it's hard to tell what's gonna come up. It's graded hard. As someone else said it is extremely difficult to take short cuts. While geography is by no means easy (no matter what some people say) in my opinion it's easier to do well in than business. Good luck with your choice. At the end of the day it's what you're better at -and what you enjoy most.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I do Business and Geography aswel. It definitely depends on the teacher you have. I had a great Business teacher from first to third year and loved the subject and then fifth year came and I ended up with a different teacher and now i really regret picking it.
    I love Geography and think it's easy to do well in compared to business. It's a lot more interesting and the field trip is a great way to get some marks before you even do the exam.
    I'd say maybe ask some people of your school who do the subjects they'll be ablr to tell you what the teachers are like. Make your decision on what you like though because you're going to be the one doing it. Best of luck what ever you decide.

• Advertisement

When are the projects normally assigned?

you do mock ones in fifth year and the final thing in sixth year but they are due in around the time of the oral so if you are behind and catching up then it could be very stressful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭I.Am.A.Panda

you do mock ones in fifth year and the final thing in sixth year but they are due in around the time of the oral so if you are behind and catching up then it could be very stressful

Are the projects prescribed, or can you do anything you want pertaining to the course?

Are the projects prescribed, or can you do anything you want pertaining to the course?

They are prescribed but you will do one with the whole class for Geography. I think history you do it individually on what ever topics they prescribe but I don't do history thankfully because it is a very long course.

Advertisement