Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HOME HELP/SERVICES/nursing home support scheme

Options
  • 14-03-2010 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering does anyone know of a good private care company around the Kerry area? I am currently in the process of negotiating with my PHN regarding home help, but seemingly this is only for weekdays and I would need some relief at weekends to get a break. Dad is at the very start of dementia. If anyone has anyone suggestions I would be most grateful, or know of any other home supports available either privately or publicly.

Also, if anyone has opinions on the nursing home state support I would be very grateful as it may be a road i have to take in the future - is it worth it etc...

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ljcoolk

the only company I could recommend is Bluebird care think there nationwide.

The fair deal is exactly what it says on the tin a fair deal, long over due and a huge relief finanically to family members for more info you can check out the HSE website
    http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/Campaigns/nhss.shortcut.html

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

(This is not directly relevant to the initial poster but I wanted to get it off my chest)

I was talking to somebody recently who had just done an assessment for home help. The person with a disabling illness was told that the money for the service actually comes out of the budget for the over 65s and there was very little money around. Examples were given of the poor service other people were getting.

I remember reading before that if you are under 65, you are classed as "young adult disabled" and that generally, services are more designed for the over 65s.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Hi, just wondering does anyone know of a good private care company around the Kerry area? I am currently in the process of negotiating with my PHN regarding home help, but seemingly this is only for weekdays and I would need some relief at weekends to get a break. Dad is at the very start of dementia. If anyone has anyone suggestions I would be most grateful, or know of any other home supports available either privately or publicly.

Also, if anyone has opinions on the nursing home state support I would be very grateful as it may be a road i have to take in the future - is it worth it etc...

Many thanks

Have you considered placing an ad in a local paper and maybe interviewing candidates that you'd pay privately ?

I realise that it's very hit and miss to do this but I know someone who had very good luck doing it. They were looking for someone to look after an elderly bedbound ill/dying lady and a local retired nurse replied to their ad. As she was a bit older(around 60) she was very patient and really provided excellent care .

Before that this family had employed a homecare service but weren't very happy with it as they sent a day carer who was quite young and who didn't have alot of english. She had had two weeks training as a carer. She wasn't called upon to do alot but she really wasnt able to take the time to talk to the old person and provide a bit of company.

Perhaps with the economy as it is someone who would be well suited/qualified to the role of caring for your dad might be happy to have some weekend work.

Good luck with it and I hope you get some publicly funded help . Take care of yourself too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bengal

Hi, going through this at the moment relative is now hospitalised.My advise is to try and search for someone local and avoid Care Companies. I would also advise you to get the Fair Deal Forms for nursing homes now and start the process or just familiarise yourself with them. Make sure you get the local district nurse involved as he/she has all the purse strings. Good luck and look after yourself. Rgds Bengal

Advertisement