Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irish phone conection extension?

• 14-03-2010 11:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭

i want to move pc from down stairs to my attic room, i need to run a phone cable from wall socket to attic for the router...any ideas on this? where to buy..argos seems to have only uk fittings...thnx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

To be honest, you'd be better off leaving your router where it is if you can, or under the stairs or similar, and then run cat5/cat6 network cable from the back of your router up to the attic for your pc.
    Phone cables are more susceptible to noise over long(er) cable runs and keeping the router as close as possible to the point where your phone line comes into your house will ensure you get the most reliable/fastest internet connection for your money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭celtboy1888

so a long eathernet(yellow) cable?? where would i look for one of those...is it poss to get one to go up 2 stories??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

buy a wireless adapter for the computer. its like a big memory stick. i got one a few weeks ago 25 quid in pc world airside.

i am not sure where you router is but mine is in the sitting room and the pc is in an attic room and the signal is fine.

You'd need to work out how long a cable you'd need, measure the distance from wall to router and wall to pc, then the height of each room (normally 2.4m) and then add a few metres for slack and to account for space between floors.

I'd say a 15 or 20m cable would do it.

When running my own cables, I just got a big reel and cut everything I need to length, then crimped the connectors on, this is the cheapest method. However, if you are just doing one cable run you'd have to buy a crimping tool, and rj45 connectors and crimping is fiddly when you haven't had practice, so your best bet might be to just buy a length of cable from maplin or similar, you'll just have to be careful not to damage the connector when pulling it through walls.

Alternatively, you could get pre-made cable from maplin, leave the connector on one end for the router, cut the other end off and then mount a wall box behind your pc like this; http://maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=12114

You'd then get a shorter (1 or 2m) cable to go from the wall box to your pc.

The wall box has connectors on the back that you push the cables into, there is a tool to do this but you can get away with using a flat blade screwdriver if you are careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭celtboy1888

Martron wrote: »
    buy a wireless adapter for the computer. its like a big memory stick. i got one a few weeks ago 25 quid in pc world airside.

i am not sure where you router is but mine is in the sitting room and the pc is in an attic room and the signal is fine.

sounds like a plan...any pics?? how it work???

• Advertisement

Martron wrote: »

Of course this would also be a much simpler solution to running any cables at all :)

You will always get faster speeds with cable, but if you are just connecting to your router, the wireless connection will be still faster than your internet connection so wouldn't be noticeable. Just need to make sure you can get a decent signal up in your attic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

see if you could get a lend of one evn becasue theat cable run will be a pain in the bottom.

unless there is a pipe duct the runs from the cold tank in the attic to a downstairs toilet.

but for the sake of 25 quid....... and when you move the pc again it will be already hooked up

Advertisement