Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

steyr .270

Options
  • 14-03-2010 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

hi, first post, have been follwing the hunting/shooting threads for a while, and learnt a lot from you guys. so was wondering what is your opinions on the steyr in.270.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

i had one of the first synthetic ones many years ago ,it had a green stock in .270.
    also had SBS pro hunter is 25,06 for a ( short ) time.

the SBS system is a load of crap in my book ,a two position safety is a accident waiting to happen.a should be firearm is armed or not.

the stocks never improved there still far to flimsy at the forend ,styer never addressed this problem, on the Continent shots are mostly taken from high seats or standing ,bipods are not common unlike hear and the uk thats where problems happen.

the trigger is second to none ,the bolt is smooth .

would i have another one ( NO ) is the answer .

i shot over a 1,000 deer with styers that was before i started using sakos and tikkas.

there is better rifles on the market for your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

jwshooter wrote: »
    i had one of the first synthetic ones many years ago ,it had a green stock in .270.
    also had SBS pro hunter is 25,06 for a ( short ) time.

the SBS system is a load of crap in my book ,a two position safety is a accident waiting to happen.a should be firearm is armed or not.

the stocks never improved there still far to flimsy at the forend ,styer never addressed this problem, on the Continent shots are mostly taken from high seats or standing ,bipods are not common unlike hear and the uk thats where problems happen.

the trigger is second to none ,the bolt is smooth .

would i have another one ( NO ) is the answer .

i shot over a 1,000 deer with styers that was before i started using sakos and tikkas.

there is better rifles on the market for your money.

Listen to this man and his words of wisdom. They come from many years of experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

hi, first post, have been follwing the hunting/shooting threads for a while, and learnt a lot from you guys. so was wondering what is your opinions on the steyr in.270.
    I have the pro hunter in 308 for 4 years now, no problems good accurate reliable out of box rifle, had the steyr mannlicher delux full stock in 270, and 6.5 have shot hundreds of deer and foxes you wont go wrong, of course there are better (and worse) rifles out there but a good safe reliable weapon,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I have no problems with mine, I find the SBS system safer than the safety system on the ssg 69 model I also have, and much better than the vintage mausers I also owned.

The front swivel would not fit the harris bipod and I had to make some alterations but that was a minor problem.

270 is a great round but would seriously consider going back to 6.5 as the recoil from the 270 can be a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Lot to be said for wood stocks .Wouldnt be a fan of the SBs system either.It looks like it would jam up with enough crud in it,and feels flimsy.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Lot to be said for wood stocks

Amen. Big fan of them in terms of feel and balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

i have a steyr prohunter 6.5x55 and it has done me proud this year , i'v knocked all species with it from bunny's to red deer and everything in between.
    which model are you looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭underthetumb

not sure of the model, it has green synthetic stock. am callin in tue for a better look, thanks for all the info lads, much appreciated

I have the pro hunter in 308 for 4 years now, no problems good accurate reliable out of box rifle, had the steyr mannlicher delux full stock in 270, and 6.5 have shot hundreds of deer and foxes you wont go wrong, of course there are better (and worse) rifles out there but a good safe reliable weapon,

weapon ? .

not sure of the model, it has green synthetic stock. am callin in tue for a better look, thanks for all the info lads, much appreciated

if it has a green stock its a old pro hunter , if its my old one the front swivel fell out and is grip filled in .

its as hard to handle as a fat girl in a 90 pick up.they do kick high,not straight back like modern stocks.

god be with the days i could handle both.

• Advertisement
Advertisement