Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing the HCAP as a total newcomer

Options
  • 14-03-2010 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭

As i have said in my previous posts, i am getting into deer stalking. i have not shot a deer yet, but i have accompanied a friend on a few stalks over the last few years.
    My question is, as i will have to do the HCAP to get grounds this time, will just pure book learning do or would more practical knowledge be a help.
    I have been given the loan of the manual, and it seems straightforward enough, but any tips would be very welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

As i have said in my previous posts, i am getting into deer stalking. i have not shot a deer yet, but i have accompanied a friend on a few stalks over the last few years.
    My question is, as i will have to do the HCAP to get grounds this time, will just pure book learning do or would more practical knowledge be a help.
    I have been given the loan of the manual, and it seems straightforward enough, but any tips would be very welcome.

well if you think its straightforward whats the problem,now you have read the book and do the hcrap you have as mush experience as every one in coilltes eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

jwshooter wrote: »
    well if you think its straightforward whats the problem,now you have read the book and do the hcrap you have as mush experience as every one in coilltes eyes.

If you want to hunt deer the HCAp will not help you
    To differentiate between the squeal of a sika and the bark of a fallow doe in the midlands?
    If going Coillte, HCAP yes
    If Not
    Don't bother
    You learned more stalking than in a controlled environment

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Save your money..Find an old hand at stalking who will take you on as an apprentice,and get out in the field and wood as much as you can over a year and learn about the beasts that way.
    HCAP is just another money spinner and insurance ass covering exercise for Coilte.

This is somthing you cannot learn from a book or course,it is somthing you cannot buy or hire or inherit.it is somthing you must learn by experiance,endurance,patience,time and sacrifice.It is yours forever ,you cannot lose it ,sell it or give it away.The right to call yourself a deer hunter.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

As far as I know HCAP is only required when stalking in Coillte owned woods. If thats where you are going to stalk then you should do it, if not then have a read of the manual and save your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

Thanks guys, unfortunately i have to do it. As far as i know, the land is in the general area of Donard. I say as far as i know, because a stalker friend is organising it for me for the first year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

no harm doing it ,when your new into stalking .donard is generally a good spot .

Advertisement