Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing Pets-how to?

Options
  • 14-03-2010 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if any Boardies have ever done this? I'm quite keen on getting a sloth over the next year- I have a source in Colombia who can supply one but that is only the beginning of my problems.
    The next is transportation- are animals typically transported by sea or air?

Finally there is the matter of quarantine- I've heard before that they must do this for 6 months-can anyone confirm this? Also does anyone have an indication of the costs of quarantine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

How can you be sure the source is genuine, also why keep sloths.
    How many more rainforest animals are going to be dragged into the pet trade.
    They mostly stay in one place also they don't move about much and would need a temperature controlled climate (correct me if I'm wrong).

Sad that these animals are beginning to be part of the pet trade, perhaps popular in some places but Ireland has enough we can't even look after our dogs, cats and rabbits properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Might be similar laws here. Check out this link from England. I think it will be very expensive to import a sloth.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/science/article2592465.ece

P.s You may not get any advice from this forum as regards importing an animal.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

I have never imported an animal from outside of the EU - you need to talk to the department of agriculture & see what you need in the way of a licence - I import a lot of my critters from the UK.

Never heard of people keeping Sloths before tho - have you researched the animal well? Can you provide a good habitate for it? & can you afford to feed it?

Can you provide links to any site on this animal as a pet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

And just out of interest, would the sloth be bred in captivity or caught in the wild?

Never heard of anyone keeping sloths before. But if you can look after it properly and everything, then it's not neccessarily a bad thing right?

Advertisement