Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signed mass cards

Options
  • 14-03-2010 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

Is it possible to get a signed mass card anywhere in the town now, last time I tried to get one, I was informed in shop that the selling of signed mass cards in shops had been stopped by the church. Need one again unfortunately and wonder if its poss.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Only place I know is going to the Priest's House in Greystones and getting them signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭sasmac

The news agents in tesco did them. Not sure if they still do but try i got one there about 2 months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The Guide wrote: »
    Is it possible to get a signed mass card anywhere in the town now, last time I tried to get one, I was informed in shop that the selling of signed mass cards in shops had been stopped by the church. Need one again unfortunately and wonder if its poss.
    They passed a law against them so you have to get it signed by a priest or else buy something generic

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭mtucker

You can get signed mass cards from the Parish Office in Holy Rosary Church. I think it's open 9.30 - 12.00 weekdays. Head for Killian House Family Centre and you'll find the place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

Thanks for replies - seems only place now to get one is Holy Rosary Office. Pity - it was handy been able to get them in newsagent, wonder why it was stopped. Anyone know the exact reason

• Advertisement

Many of the pre-signed mass cards were forgeries, often not signed by priests but by total chancers. The laws were tightened up to stop these sort of scams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

So you're implying the Newsagent in Tesco was selling forgeries? and therefore had to stop selling them?

mtucker wrote: »
    Many of the pre-signed mass cards were forgeries, often not signed by priests but by total chancers. The laws were tightened up to stop these sort of scams.

Cant imagine a shop selling unauthorised cards - it doesnt seem to be a thing that would be possible to do. Surely before the cards would go on sale they would be checked out and verified etc. Bit of a sweeping statement.

So you're implying the Newsagent in Tesco was selling forgeries? and therefore had to stop selling them?

I doubt very much that any shop in Greystones selling mass cards were selling forgeries, especially not O'Grady's/Cards & Things. I've always found Greystones retailers to be impeccably honest.

I should have chosen my words more carefully, I was talking about the national reasoning underpinning the legislation.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0731/1224251765090.html
    Mr Curran said that the sale of pre-signed Mass cards in shops, as opposed to directly from the Catholic Church, has been a matter of public concern for some time. He said there were two concerns: “One, will a Mass actually be offered in respect of the specific intentions offered? Two, is there an element of profit behind the sale of such cards?” he said.

The Guide - As you can see, the rationale for the Act was that many people were selling cards advertised as 'mass' cards where no masses would ever be said.

Still cant see why genuine cards cannot still be sold in shops - once verified and above board there should be no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Car2318

Can anyone confirm that Holy Rosary is still the only place to get signed mass cards in the village?
    Does the Kilquade Parish office do them or indeed are any of these places open at weekends?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The Guide wrote: »
    Still cant see why genuine cards cannot still be sold in shops - once verified and above board there should be no problem.

There are two completely different laws involved, one is Irish state law and one is RC canon law.

The Charities Act makes it illegal to sell mass cards without church approval. This is to stop the "fake" ones being sold. It does not stop shops selling the "approved" ones.

RC canon law;Canon 947 states: “Any semblance of trafficking in the Mass is to be entirely excluded.”

Which was also one of Martin Luther's main demands back in the day AFAIK.

Anyway its all here

Advertisement