Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Compact?

• 14-03-2010 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

OK. Slight problem. Have a 40D+17-55 2.8 lens. Delighted with it. But was out for the wife's 50th last night and couldn't haul it along as we were going for a few afterwards. Need something to bring to an odd occasion like that. Any recommendations in the Canon/Fuji camp? Looking at a G9. Budget around €400.

Still a big Fuji fan, but the array on offer is bewildering. Must fit in pocket or handbag, etc.

Opinions gratefully accepted.

Cheers,

Freddie.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The G9 or G11 fits the bill really well, even the G10 is OK. Great little cameras. I take my G9 almost everywhere with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

I have one of the olympus mju 790's. The pics are good but not amazing, however the fact its water and shock proof is such a plus. I only use it on ocasions when I can't bring the big one (D90) such as nights out etc and the benefit of being able to hand it around and not worry about it is incredible! If the shots aren't going to be blown up huge (anything up to a4 is fine, you can go bigger if its a good shot) then I'd highly recommend it, or one of its friends

edit: just looked at the G9, my bad. it's in a different league than the olympus, but the olympus is still very handy for what I said, definitely worth considering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

TBH, if I was in that situation again I'd just buy a cheap no frils p+s for parties/handy snaps. I bought an LX3 and thats all it pretty much gets used for and its not even that pocketable. They just cant compete with a DSLR. That is unless money isn't a question you could get a Oly Pen with a pancake lense.

I've heard the new Sony compacts with its back lit cmos sensor are awesome in low light.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

Canon S90 all the way if it was me. Shoots raw, great lens and the same sensor as the G11 just in a more compact package.

personally I think the G11 is a bit bulky to be truely transportable.

C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement