Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuisance of a cat

Options
  • 14-03-2010 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hi All,

Can someone suggest something that will repel cats, I have recently completed a flower bed and put bark in it but the blasted thing keeps coming in and moving all the bark and crapping in it.
    Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Dog / Shotgun /Watergun /Gardenhose, cats are fast learners

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We have that problem, but since they are our own cats there's not much we can do about it :D The watergun would be good if the area is near enough the house, also they really do not like orange peel, so a scattering might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Moth balls you get them in a chemist, they hate them.

What my Dad did and I will go this spring is get chicken wire, but it down on the bar but turn the small ends up, it hurts the cats feet.

Water is another thing, I really dont uunderstand why owners cant be more repsonsble with cats and get them neutered.

Water is another thing, I really dont uunderstand why owners cant be more repsonsble with cats and get them neutered.

What does neutering have to do with it? My cats are neutered but they still do it.

Well first I will say fair play to you.

The benefit of doing it, is that every year they wont multiply and the kittens jsut become rogue's and cause even more hassle.

We have youngs kids and to be honest, cats poo is very dangerous to young kids so now my kids cant go near the flower bed. Might call the council or some authority on it or just get rid of them totally myself.

Cats should be kept in doors or on a lead like dogs are, then again alot of people not responsible with dogs either.

• Advertisement

just get rid of them totally myself.

:eek:

It sickens me that people can talk about this kind of thing, as if it is an acceptable response.

There are products in your local hardware store, to deter cats and dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

We have youngs kids and to be honest, cats poo is very dangerous to young kids so now my kids cant go near the flower bed.
    Very true. Cat faeces can contain bacteria which cause blindness. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis
    Cats should be kept in doors or on a lead like dogs are, then again alot of people not responsible with dogs either.
    But then again, dogs are unlikely to scale the wall to crap in your garden.

MoonBaby

There is no Cat products in the market that are effective on keeping cats away.

Unless you know one as have tried loads and the same with my family over the years.

I aint a cat hater but if people just kept them from roaming around it be ok as they are lovely animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

quarter a few lemons and leave them juicy side up in the flowerbed. cats hate them and it solved our cat-poo problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I got stuff in Johnstown garden center last year and it worked well.

was a granual type stuff and lasted a few weeks before reapplication.

think it was called Cat Away. cant remember. worked on dogs around my gate as well.

had a strong lemon smell.

cost 15 euro and lasted all summer.

• Advertisement

Did the cat away stuff have any draw backs?

Was smell bad enough for neighbours to give out about?

Will try that and the lemon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Lily pollen can make them ill I've heard. So dont be growing any of those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Did the cat away stuff have any draw backs?

Was smell bad enough for neighbours to give out about?

Will try that and the lemon

no not at all. You only smell it when applying it. after that only the cat smells it when sniffing out a hole to do the dirty.

there was a few product in the shop that did the same thing.

the one i used was children and cat friendly. Just smells bad to cats.

edit. this is the stuff.. loads of others on ebay as well. much cheaper.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cat-repellent-500grm-Pest-Control_W0QQitemZ380207383763QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_Garden_Plants_Weed_Pest_Control_CV?hash=item58862044d3#ht_500wt_956

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Here's a question. What do you do when the cats don't even bother digging in the bed anymore? My lawn is not a good place to be, a number of cats have been using the grass without digging or anything. You can't even walk across it anymore without watching your step very carefully. We've a cat of our own and she's possibly a culprit but honestly, it's disgusting and I'll happily take any suggestions.

I really think it would be your own cat, or at any rate a single cat that has a bit of OCD. Its a bit unlikely that a number of cats are using the lawn, my cats (past and present) always went for 'diggable' ground - my seed beds for example :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭shellyb73

Thanks for all the replies, will try the orange first :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

If you have a completely enclosed garden, there are ways to cat-proof your fences to deter them from coming into the yard.

If not, you'll have to try deterrent products, and speaking to the cat's owner and requesting that they don't allow their animal to roam. Another option is to build the cat a shit-pit in your garden. Seriously. Build a small sandbox. If they use that and stay out of your beds, at least you KNOW where you're going to find the crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

They seem to home in on recently prepared ground, ie a seed bed.
    From what Ive seen, they dig a hole, crap in it and cover it over.
    So, I place net over loose ground. They may crap but at least they cant dig it up and destroy my work.

Advertisement