Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chainsaw chain

• 14-03-2010 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭

I need a 3/8 in Oregon saw chain for a Makita UC3501A saw but although there seem to be lots of suppliers in the UK I can't immediately find one in Ireland -- ideally in the Waterford area. Anyone know any?

Thanks
    ART6

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

3/8 or 3/8 low profile?
    There is a big difference between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Go on the makita website, they'll have a contact address for some agent in your area. If not go to a chap who does light garden and horticultural machinery in your area. Once you have the right chain it doesn't matter what brand it is. Quite often lads who do repairs have a couple of spools of chains and cut it for the lenght of the bar on your saw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Thaks for the responses. I tried the Makita web sites, but in Ireland they only seem to redirect to suppliers of Makita plant. Their UK address doesn't say anything about spares, and I haven't time to go phoning around here. So I have ordered a new chain from a UK tool firm for delivery in a couple of days. I would have preferred to buy Irish, but ...........

ART6 wrote: »
    Thaks for the responses. I tried the Makita web sites, but in Ireland they only seem to redirect to suppliers of Makita plant. Their UK address doesn't say anything about spares, and I haven't time to go phoning around here. So I have ordered a new chain from a UK tool firm for delivery in a couple of days. I would have preferred to buy Irish, but ...........
    Is it 91VX that you needed?

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Is it 91VX that you needed?

According to the saw handbook it's a 3/8 in, 35 cm Oregon 092. Anyway, that's what I have ordered from the UK. Mr. Makita is not very clear on this:)

• Advertisement

According to the saw handbook it's a 3/8 in, 35 cm Oregon 092. Anyway, that's what I have ordered from the UK. Mr. Makita is not very clear on this:)
    Strange, Oregon doesn't make an 092 chain, the lo-pro 3/8 chain for electric saws is usually 90SG which has 1.1mm drive links or 91VG which has 1.3mm drive links.
    Usually the Bar has the right data stamped or written on it.
    And if the chain is Oregon there is usually markings on it to indicate the type, on the drive link and on the cutter tooth.
    Some of that chain can be hard to find, but if you want it fast sometimes B+Q or the other big stores carry it.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Strange, Oregon doesn't make an 092 chain, the lo-pro 3/8 chain for electric saws is usually 90SG which has 1.1mm drive links or 91VG which has 1.3mm drive links.
    Usually the Bar has the right data stamped or written on it.
    And if the chain is Oregon there is usually markings on it to indicate the type, on the drive link and on the cutter tooth.
    Some of that chain can be hard to find, but if you want it fast sometimes B+Q or the other big stores carry it.[/QUOTE

Thanks for that CJ. I don't understand it either but we'll see when the chain I've ordered turns up. The UK firm says it's universal one. Failing anything else I'll buy myself a saw with an engine on it, since in retrospect buying an electric one was not my best idea. Impulse buying was the problem:p

I'll buy myself a saw with an engine on it, since in retrospect buying an electric one was not my best idea. Impulse buying was the problem:p
    Good idea, apart from anything else those elec saws are very dangerous. The torque they develop is huge and they don't stall which makes the safety clothing not very effective.

Advertisement