Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House after relationship breakup

• 14-03-2010 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can help with any information about what to do with a house after a relationship breakup.

We bought the house 5 years ago, it is a 3 bed semi about 10 years old,

She left 3 weeks ago & I stayed in the house, she has no problem with paying her half of the mortgage & her half of the utility bills up to 3 weeks ago.

I am not willing to stay in the house, too many memories & if we sell the house would possibly get 220k but we owe 275k .

If anyone has been through similar , I would apreciate any advice, renting seems to be easiest option but I want to make a clean break.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

The bank won't allow you to sell the house unless you clear the mortgage with the proceeds, which you won't be able to do due to being around 55k in negative equity.

Most likely one of you will need to buy the other out of their half of the house and continue paying the mortgage yourself. The other alternative is to rent it out and hope that prices may eventually return to somewhere near what you owe on the mortgage, the way things are at present this is likely to take years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

could your parent help you out? I think what she did was very irresponsible. Is the mortgage in both your names?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 swift89

tricky situation ,
    if u continue to pay the mortgage and she does not, she still has claim to it as far as i am aware .but you do not want to default on it .
    easiest thing would be to rent it out and bank the profits .
    if i were you i would get legal advice on it to be honest .
    because if you rent it out and she knows about it she will want half.
    and you cannot sell it at the moment,
    talk to your solicitor and maybe send her a solicitors letter on her obligations to the mortgage
    been there done it and have the t-shirt
    loads of grey hairs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Ive a friend who this happened to. She left, so she bought him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 swift89

i bought her out ,but was years ago ,more difficult now in the current market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭AnthonyK7

Thanks for your replies , very much appreciated, I decided to move out & get the house rented as I think that would be easier than room rentals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

If she signed for the mortgage too, she's liable for the repayments (as are you) even if she isn't living there. It''s a mortgage, it's not rent! Even if you rent a place you still have to pay if you leave before the lease end or go on holidays!

Advertisement