Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LGBT friendly schools/summer schools?

Options
  • 14-03-2010 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

A minuscule number exist in the USA and Canada, just wondering whether others feel it's a good idea, potentialy even here?. Normal schools academicaly but where pupils are free to express themselves.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Why not just try and make all schools LGBT friendly?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Not trying to be facetious, but how would it work? Do they brand themselves as gay-friendly? Are they all-gay? How else are they any different to 'normal' schools?

Aard wrote: »
    Not trying to be facetious, but how would it work? Do they brand themselves as gay-friendly? Are they all-gay? How else are they any different to 'normal' schools?

I think the OP is proposing something like Harvey Milk High School Just don't think it would work here at all

It was discussed on boards.ie 6 years ago

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=107757

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Won't work here, realistically you will have the parish priest on the doors leading a mob with torch and pitchforks. =/ Sad I know, but it's the same reason I doubt any of these LGBT friendly schools don't exist in the Southern states.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Freiheit wrote: »
    A minuscule number exist in the USA and Canada, just wondering whether others feel it's a good idea, potentialy even here?. Normal schools academicaly but where pupils are free to express themselves.
    Wht sort of thing are you talking about tough ? I'm usually cautious about ideas that involve changing curricula to influence childrens minds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

The purpose of a school is to change and manipulate the minds of children.

Boston wrote: »
    The purpose of a school is to change and manipulate the minds of children.
    No, the purpose of school is to educate the minds of Children.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Yes, educating them about sexual orientation.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Wht sort of thing are you talking about tough ? I'm usually cautious about ideas that involve changing curricula to influence childrens minds.
    Education is all about influencing childrens minds

Terry Pratchet

No, the purpose of school is to educate the minds of Children.

Morality, the difference between right and wrong, as well as the three times tables.

• Advertisement

Aard wrote: »
    Yes, educating them about sexual orientation.
    Educating children about sexual orientation is fine as long as one dose not try to influence the child with ones own views.
    Johnnymcg wrote:
    Education is all about influencing childrens minds.
    No it isn't. Education is about educating childrens minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Dwn Wth Vwls

Does this really have to turn into another one of those threads?

I don't think the population is big enough here for specifically LGBT schools. I also think it's far better for the population as a whole to accept that LGBT people are part of their environment, not segregated somewhere else.

As for a summer school, I don't know how good an idea it is putting teenagers who only have their sexuality in common together. Although I suppose they can't get pregnant at least! Colleges have something like Pink Training already.

As for a summer school, I don't know how good an idea it is putting teenagers who only have their sexuality in common together. Although I suppose they can't get pregnant at least! Colleges have something like Pink Training already.
    Sorry for going off topic but what is that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Sorry for going off topic but what is that ?

This is Pink Training.

No it isn't. Education is about educating

Right ok but think about this - what is educating?

Terry Pratchet

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Right ok but think about this - what is educating?
    Why do you ask me what educating means ? That's what dictionaries are for.
    Dictionary wrote:
    Educating:
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to develop the faculties and powers of (a person) by teaching, instruction, or schooling.

2. to qualify by instruction or training for a particular calling, practice, etc.; train: to educate someone for law.

3. to provide schooling or training for; send to school.

4. to develop or train (the ear, taste, etc.): to educate one's palate to appreciate fine food.

5. to inform: to educate oneself about the best course of action.

–verb (used without object)
    6. to educate a person or group: A television program that educates can also entertain.

So none of the above influences children's minds?

Terry Pratchet

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    So none of the above influences children's minds?
    Depends on what your opinion of "education" is.

What is your opinion of education ?

My "Opinion" within the context of this thread of education is that a lot of teaching is designed to influence the mind, history is designed to give you a certain viewpoint but that viewpoint isn't always the truth or the correct version, english is taught to influence a persons language skills, maths is taught to influence a childs skills in the area of numerics, engineering etc, religion influences a childs mind in perhaps the area of morality etc - My point is that a lot of what is already being taught on the curriculum is not necessarily just teachers imparting facts and figures and does actually influence a child's mind

Terry Pratchet

Argument is irrelevant since a part of the Irish educational system is to provide moral and ethical training. It starts off in infants teaching kids about right and wrong, and continues into third level teaching business students not to be unethical in their business dealings or engineers not to make something which is dangerous but cheap.

I don't know what school system Iwasfrozen went to but in my experience there wasn't a single area or a child's thought process that they didn't try to influence and manipulate. If it's ok for religious sex education speaks to preach abstinence is good for the soul then it's ok to preach that hatred of others is wrong. Bottom line.

• Advertisement

Boston that was the point I was making
    Educating children about sexual orientation is fine as long as one dose not try to influence the child with ones own views.
    IWF - do you not realise that schools already try to influence children with their own views? E.g. sex education suggesting abstinence, the morality of abortion, even refusing to discuss homosexuality

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

In Ireland, almost all schools (possibly not Educate Together) have a religious and/or moral ethos. Therefore they have a moral agenda as well as an educational one.

Whether or not those things should be combined in education is a different question.

Advertisement