Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling like poo poo since quitting

Options
  • 14-03-2010 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I went cold turkey on the ciggies about 4 weeks ago and am generally feeling terrible since. I need some inspiration!. The first week was great, I was delighted that I managed to stay off them and don't get me wrong I am still delighted to be off them and hopefully will never smoke again but....

My entire body aches and I get regular headaches, I have no energy, my throat is dry, my sinuses are pretty annoying these days too and my chest is fooked that's not to mention the serious bouts of depression and generally gloomy feeling I've been having. I was expecting that for the 1st couple of weeks but I thought I would be bouncing around a month later?

Just wondering if anyone else experienced anything like this and how long does it take to subside or is there anything that I can do that might help?

Cheers...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Fukk me!! That doesn't sound good at all.

What you need to do is get active, get on a bike or start swimming. You have to replace the smokes with an activity that will allow you to see how how much they were holding you back.

I have been off the cigarettes 2 months now and where I used to be puffing and panting on the bike going up hills is no longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Rain_Dog_Brian

I agree with Brendan!
    You must find something to give you an alternative high, and exercise is the best! Even if just walking, and breathing deep.

You seem to have a lot of withdrawal symptoms (mental & physical) and they should ease over a couple of months, but thats just based on my experience, and i stayed on nicorette for a long time after quitting.

If it lasts much longer as bad as you say, it might be worth a trip to your GP just to assess the situation. It's worth it in the long run if you can stay off those b*stardous sticks.

Bear in mind that all your symtoms are the fault of the fags, not due to giving them up!
    Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

The chest and sinuses is normal - it's your body rejecting all the crap you've put into it while smoking. Headaches can be normal too- I didn't get them but I know people who did. I did get the sleep disruption instead.

As for energy and gloom - are you doing anything to replace smoking with? I went for a whole new addiction - I'm running ... a lot. I started with a Couch to 5K program. I find the feeling after a good run exhilarating. That mightn't be for you -maybe cycling or swimming instead. Or football. Or tennis. Basically anything that you can use to watch your general health improve while you're not smoking.

And Rain Dog Brian is 100% correct: "your symtoms are the fault of the fags, not due to giving them up".

Stick with the cold turkey. If depression is getting to you see your doctor. Don't try to battle through if you are really getting depressed. It's a tough time - we've all been through it. I'm only 11 weeks and going through another phase of cravings. But it's worth the pain.

Advertisement