Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bohermeen - Sunday 21 March ???????

• 14-03-2010 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Anyone no anything about this course what it is like.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Anyone no anything about this course what it is like.

It's fairly flat with a drag up towrds the finish.
    Almost always has a large bunch finish at lower levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

bumpity bump....who's doing it?

Would I be right in saying Bohermeen is near Navan? I'm tempted but 4 laps is a long time to be swinging out the back.... :(

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

bumpity bump....who's doing it?

Would I be right in saying Bohermeen is near Navan? I'm tempted but 4 laps is a long time to be swinging out the back.... :(

There's a separate ladies race. First round of the national league.

el tonto wrote: »
    There's a separate ladies race. First round of the national league.

....swinging out the back of a gang of ladies so. just for a change ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

....swinging out the back of a gang of ladies so. just for a change ;)

I doubt it. Given your results last year you should be OK.

• Advertisement

Would I be right in saying Bohermeen is near Navan? (

Some details on the Women's Cycling site:
    This is one of the most inviting races for novices to attend as it is run over a flat 10 mile circuit so you are never to far form home.

Sign on: Mc Hugh’s Pub Bohermeen 12pm

Race distance: 4 laps of 10 mile circuit

Race Start: 1pm

See link for National League rules. Please note this year we will not be including a time trial and your best five of six races will count.

There will be prizes for the 1st 8 over the line and the winner will also receive the McHugh Cup.

For those who haven’t been before, Bohermeen is located in Co Meath, approx 4 miles from Navan town. Take the Kells / Cavan road out of Navan and approx 2 miles out this road take a left turn at the Mercedes Garage. Follow this road for 2-3 miles until you come to Mchughs Pub at a 4 crossroads.

For more information please contact Marie 087-9458499

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Argh ... To be dropped again ... maybe to be dropped again by ladies will make me realise I really should focus on slow long distance w/ cake.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Bohermeen is generally thought to be one of the easier ciruits in terms of being able to hang on.
    The problem with this is you tend to get bigger groups with people who not used to being there. This means there are almost always a good few crashes there..

Argh ... To be dropped again ... maybe to be dropped again by ladies will make me realise I really should focus on slow long distance w/ cake.

When I suck in races I remember this from Samuel Beckett:
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭The Crunch

When I suck in races I remember this from Samuel Beckett:

Well Godot was a bike rider after all!
    (Roger Godeau,1920-2000; a professional cyclist from 1943 to 1961)

• Advertisement

The Crunch wrote: »
    Well Godot was a bike rider after all!
    (Roger Godeau,1920-2000; a professional cyclist from 1943 to 1961)

Yep. There was some speculation that is where the name came from, i.e. Godeau was lanterne rouge in the Tour de France and so far behind that people would be waiting ages for Godeau to cross the line. However, I'm not sure of the truth of this since he never actually "won" lanterne rouge. Having said that, he could have been last one year until he dropped out.

Yep. There was some speculation that is where the name came from, i.e. Godeau was lanterne rouge in the Tour de France and so far behind that people would be waiting ages for Godeau to cross the line. However, I'm not sure of the truth of this since he never actually "won" lanterne rouge. Having said that, he could have been last one year until he dropped out.

Who cares!!! He was IN THE TOUR DE FRANCE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

I'm thinking of doing this (the ladies race). I have never raced before, but I do long cycles at the weekends, sometimes get out during the week and did a few sportives over the summer. In my club (Clonard) I'm currently the lone female on the spins, I've never really cycled with women - just wondering what kind of level women's racing would be at?

I'm thinking of doing this (the ladies race). I have never raced before, but I do long cycles at the weekends, sometimes get out during the week and did a few sportives over the summer. In my club (Clonard) I'm currently the lone female on the spins, I've never really cycled with women - just wondering what kind of level women's racing would be at?

The women national league usually includes the best club racers of the country ...

Well the Women's Commission is billing it "one of the most inviting races for novices to attend", so they are encouraging newcomers. You're in a club, so you're obviously comfortable with riding in a group at a decent pace. That's not to say it'll be a cakewalk. As Caroline said, the top women in the country are likely to be there. Having said that, you'll likely see women of varying abilities turn out. The only way you're going to find out is by giving it a go.

Since it's your first race, don't put too much pressure on yourself. Most people get dropped the first time out and it can take a while to find your racing legs.

The top women which do not include me :) And I will more than likely giving it a go ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Flankerb

Give it a go. You wont know until you do. Navan was my first race got dropped after 10k and spent the next lap and a half on my own. But the following week in Clonard I managed to hold on until well over half way. Had my own little race with lad from Navan and girl from Lucan who we just couldn't shake. Plenty of beginners out with the introduction of A4.
    There is a club just down the road from ya with plenty of woman cycling in it.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Directions from Navan to Greetiagh Cross (McHugh's Pub) for signing on. Notice it is not in Bohermeen village. The Mercedes Garage on N3 as you leave Navan heading towards Kells is your marker to turn left.
    @ Caroline. Only one slight drag on the course so will be there with the camera ;). Best of luck

Well the Women's Commission is billing it "one of the most inviting races for novices to attend", so they are encouraging newcomers. You're in a club, so you're obviously comfortable with riding in a group at a decent pace. That's not to say it'll be a cakewalk. As Caroline said, the top women in the country are likely to be there. Having said that, you'll likely see women of varying abilities turn out. The only way you're going to find out is by giving it a go.

Since it's your first race, don't put too much pressure on yourself. Most people get dropped the first time out and it can take a while to find your racing legs.

Thanks for the advice. To be honest, when I was swimming I was never really into the racing and now kind of regret not having a go which is why I'm thinking of trying this. Like you said I guess the only way to find out is to try it anyway.

@Flankerb - which club are you talking about? Mullingar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭barney150

The roads around bohermeen are in terrible condition. I drove around there yesterday. Dont use your best wheels, infact id be using the winter bike. I suppose the council still has a few days to repair them, so you never know.
    When warming up ride down to the end of the bog road, junction with Navan / Athboy road to check out the worst section. I was in a 4x4 doing about 5mph. So try out your cervelo and carbon wheels and let me know how you get on.
    Bohermeen a great race if your going well, however, for those nervous riders or newbies it can be an eye opener.Over the years some of the most spectacular crashes have been here. Luckily enough ive never crashed here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Flankerb

Thanks for the advice. To be honest, when I was swimming I was never really into the racing and now kind of regret not having a go which is why I'm thinking of trying this. Like you said I guess the only way to find out is to try it anyway.

@Flankerb - which club are you talking about? Mullingar?

I wont say anymore I dont want this turning into club transfer tapping scandal.:D
    As for the race ask some of the lads in the club what they think. Clonard is a good club and laid on a great race last saturday. Oh and lovely. tea and cake

Flankerb wrote: »
    I wont say anymore I dont want this turning into club transfer tapping scandal.:D
    As for the race ask some of the lads in the club what they think. Clonard is a good club and laid on a great race last saturday. Oh and lovely. tea and cake

Just noticed "Location: Mullingar". Say no more. A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat.

...yeah, I'm not thinking of leaving Clonard, I was just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Who is on for sunday. Seperate A4 so should be more fun. Myself Glenamaddy and Staro are in so far.
    Robfowl you still having bad flashbacks?

shaungil wrote: »
    Who is on for sunday. Seperate A4 so should be more fun. Myself Glenamaddy and Staro are in so far.
    Robfowl you still having bad flashbacks?

I am :rolleyes:

A bit like Maria Carey and stairs, I don't do Bohermeen......

(Ps if you find any teeth lying around they're mine ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I might do this but I'm not too keen on the crashing aspect - two posts on one thread suggest the same thing. Tempted to listen to the voices of experience.

Is it really that hairy?

Robfowl had a horrific crash on this a few years back where his entrie face was split open.
    I did this last year in the A3 group and found it fine. It's flat so a big group. As seperate A4 the group should be smaller than the combined races. Roads are v poor in places last year and winds a bit towards the end of the lap from what I recall.

However it was pointed out to me that there are two types of cyclist. 1) those who've crashed and 2) those that are going to crash :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Isn't number two every cyclist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Its a soft enough course, no hills of note. Quite tight in places, roads are poor enough in spots. It is an easy course to hold on in, but I can see how it could be a bit more prone to crashing. Last time I was there 2 years ago I was in a crash (caused by a technical failure to be fair) where a rider fractured his skull. I did manage to get back on a full lap after spending nearly a full lap chasing solo, but we caught the vets race with 1km to go, they still had a lap left and the finish was surreal, I ended up in a ditch trying to get position. If you fancy your chances you better be in the top 10 with 3 or 4k to go. Like I said, its a tight course so you need to be pretty confident with your bike handling. Some of our lads love this race though and wouldn't miss it.

Raam wrote: »
    Isn't number two every cyclist?

good point maybe crashing is supposed to teach you something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Lumen wrote: »
    I might do this but I'm not too keen on the crashing aspect - two posts on one thread suggest the same thing. Tempted to listen to the voices of experience.

Is it really that hairy?
    If there is a separate A4 race, go for it. If you are willing to ride in the front 10 (which you seem well capable of doing) you will score your first points this season.(confident prediction) The course is tight and the corners a bit hairy but if you are at the front you should have no problem. Bets are you will love this race ;)
    Anybody trying to hang on at the back will have a scary day as very difficult to move up the field

sy wrote: »
    If there is a separate A4 race, go for it. If you are willing to ride in the front 10 you will score your first points this season

If only there weren't 50 or so other people with the same idea!

As my kids tell me before each race: "remember Daddy - just don't fall off, go superfast, and tell all your friends to go slow, then you'll be the winner".

Think like a 2 year old!

Now, where did I put that gumshield...

Any linkys to a course map?

Not that any of us would be getting lost or anything....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I think sy's advice is good; you have the strength to maintain position at the front of the A4 bunch where you could stay out of trouble. Then it is just the small matter of a bunch sprint :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I'm getting a slight case of the fear about this race too. I'm still planning on doing it though.

Less talk of crashing please.

So who's still planning on racing this?

Can I get a show of hands?

• Advertisement

From irishcycling.com:
    Waller Cup
    Leinster Sun 21-Mar RR Bohermeen Cycling Club will hold the Annual Waller Cup program of races this Sunday 21st March. The senior races will start at 1pm. There will be 4 separate races, A2 - 1st 8 over the line - 6 laps A3 – 1st 8 over the line - 5 laps Ladies - 1st 8 over the line – 4 laps (part of the ladies national league) A4 – 1st 6 over the line - 4 laps Circuit 9.5 miles. Sign-on for all races will be at McHughs Pub, Greetigh, Bohermeen. For more information, contact Marie 087-9458499

From Campbell's Weekend Roundup:
    The circuit is based anti-clockwise via the start onto the Athboy-Navan Road/Boyerstown/Newline and by all accounts is as flat as a pancake and very fast.

Greeti(a)gh is here, apparently.

i hope the weather picks up before this afternoon ...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Good luck to everyone giving this one a go

Another "not much to" report from me in the A4 race.

Finished in the bunch, not closed to being placed. Managed to avoid carnage, as did the other boardsies I spoke to, mostly.

I seem to lack any kind of competitive spirit or "killer instinct". Approaching the finish I just thought "yay, it's nearly over!". But I'm starting to recognise a few strong riders unafraid to work at the front, so there may be some breakaway opportunities as the season develops if they don't get promoted first.

Back a bit sore, have been neglecting it lately. Need to work on that.

Niceonetom was going well, and I finally identified madrichie!

Orwell apparently had 2nd and 3rd in the women's race, didn't have time to find out who they were though.

Stats...
    62km, 1:35, 39kph, 218W, no HR.
    Peak power: 1m:401W,5m:297W,10m:275W,20m:256W.

Orwell apparently had 2nd and 3rd in the women's race, didn't have time to find out who they were though.
    Aideen Collard and Orla Hendron, well done to them. Craig Arrigan also got 5th in the U16 race (from the Orwell twitter.)

Keep at it and you will get better at the tactics. I was utterly terrified starting last year; you seem to be managing a hell of a lot better than me.

To be honest in A3 my thinking is a bit similar to yours, I am not sure I really want to try contesting one of their bunch sprints, might look for breakaways instead.

Sprint finish? Many in it?

Were there any crashes?

• Advertisement

Unfortunately was not me or godihatethehils. There was a 6 girl orwell team for that race. I felt great and was riding really well in the bunch, when some dropped A4 riding in the left side of the road started chatting to the ladies in the group as we were passing by. The girl behind me decided to try and squeeze herself between that man and me, pedalled into my front wheel taking most of the spokes off. There was one of my team mates ( who finished 2nd ) who saw it happening and told me it was not any of my wrong doing, but that girl who took my wheel made a bad mistake ( made me feel slightly better ).

Anyway ... My front wheel has to be rebuilt, and also probably needs a new hub, but despite a massive wobble I didn't crash and that was a miracle.

I will put some videos up later.

Nice to see sy out there with his camera, giving us a few tips before the start. Always great to chat to him = gentleman.

Despite the DNF I really enjoyed the bit of the race I was able to ride.

Well done to godihatethehils, Lumen, aidan.offbeat, niceonetom, TheCrunch and the other boardsies racing today :)

1st day cycling with a jersey and no baselayer :) woooooooooooooo!!!!

@blorg, there was a couple of crashes in both men and women's races yes, and I think a broken bone or two ...

Jesus that sounds nasty; to be honest I would be thanking my lucky stars if I didn't end up in hospital after something like that happening. Result!

Well done to all of you racing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Unfortunately was not me or godihatethehils. There was a 6 girl orwell team for that race. I felt great and was riding really well in the bunch, when some dropped A4 riding in the left side of the road started chatting to the ladies in the group as we were passing by. The girl behind me decided to try and squeeze herself between that man and me, pedalled into my front wheel taking most of the spokes off. There was one of my team mates ( who finished 2nd ) who saw it happening and told me it was not any of my wrong doing, but that girl who took my wheel made a bad mistake ( made me feel slightly better ).

Anyway ... My front wheel has to be rebuilt, and also probably needs a new hub, but despite a massive wobble I didn't crash and that was a miracle.

I will put some videos up later.

Nice to see sy out there with his camera, giving us a few tips before the start. Always great to chat to him = gentleman.

Despite the DNF I really enjoyed the bit of the race I was able to ride.

Well done to godihatethehils, Lumen, aidan.offbeat, niceonetom, TheCrunch and the other boardsies racing today :)

1st day cycling with a jersey and no baselayer :) woooooooooooooo!!!!

@blorg, there was a couple of crashes in both men and women's races yes, and I think a broken bone or two ...

Glad to hear you not fall but is a Race the place to be getting chatted up:D

I am packfill; the creamy gelatinous centre of the treat that is the A4 peloton. Ah well.

I think anyone who left that race without the aid of an ambulance can consider it a victory. Looking at Caroline's wheel she was very lucky to get to the side of the road. I think one more broken spoke and the wheel would have totally disappeared. Shudder.

The A4s were, amazingly, the only group that didn't have any serious crashes - there were the normal moments of terror, but no worse than Newbridge or Dunboyne. I spent a fair bit of the race up at the sharp end, but something about the course makes it very hard to maintain position. Again, I feel like I have the legs to be up there, but maintaining the assertiveness and bottle to keep the vets and fat people sprinters from bulldozing me out to the gutter as soon as they want to is, sadly, lacking. I did enjoy some of it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭madrichie

Niceonetom was going well, and I finally identified madrichie!

Pleased to make your acquaintance Lumen :D our quick chat broke up the mid-race boredom ;)

The A4 started fast, eased off in the middle and got moving again in the second half of the last lap. I heard one crash behind me with 4 or 5 km's to go. Sounded like only 1 or 2 - not like the mother of all crashes in the A2 (I think) race. They were sprinting (and they were really moving) to the finish line when someone in about 4th or 5th place went down and brought maybe another 6 or 7 with him. I could see riders falling and the sound of carbon hitting the tarmac. I saw one Specialized with the down tube broken in half. It kept the first aider's busy. Plenty of broken bikes and a few bones too I'd say. I was talking to an A3 rider who counted 3 other crashes in his race also.

I managed to get up the front for the A4 sprint finish, but cracked on waaaaaaay to early and got swallowed up by about 10 other riders easily. Funny when you're in the middle of it you don't think about the possibility of crashing or getting hurt. Glad to have done the race, but also glad XC racing is starting next weekend - a MUCH safer cycling discipline :cool:

There were plenty of breaks during the race but nothing stuck - it was just one of those course that seem to encourage a bunch finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ted9308

the a3 race was extremely hairy...too many riders i think..i heard there was 120 in my race...a miracle no one crashed into oncoming cars..a few crashes the worst one being at the finish:eek:

Re crashes I've heard of about six including one that left one broken collar bone, a broken hip and one guy losing a load of teeth. (Robfowl special)

Only saw one in the A4. I tried once (planned) to get away after the flyover into boheermeen village but was caught by the pub at the start finish. I also ended up breaking away after chasing a breakaway down and when I looked around I was on my own around the same place but again caught by the pub.

Some lad in a green and black mountainbike club was doing savage work and if there was any organisation there defo could have been a break that stayed away. Myself and another Swords lad were trying to alternate attacks but just too windy and no-one seemed on for it. He was nearly away with a big guy when he was chased down by another Swords lad (despite me screaming at him to sit up):eek:

I was going up the group to try and get into the front with about 2 km to go and had intended in attacking in Bohermeen village but when the gap opened on the outside I just went for it. I knew it was too early and even though I had a decent gap my legs were gone. Got caught with about 800m to go and rolled home. Maybe a few more races will get my endurance up and maybe some hilly races will break it up a bit so we can have some smaller groups.

Cycled back to Skerries so another 50km in the legs Harry Reynolds and Jazzer Wherity next week for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

niceonetom wrote: »
    The A4s were, amazingly, the only group that didn't have any serious crashes

I don't know about that - I heard of one orwell A4 that was carted off in an ambulance.

2 crashes in the A3 race: one on the first lap and one just before the finish.

Didn't hear of any in A2.

shaungil wrote: »
    Myself and another Swords lad were trying to alternate attacks but just too windy and no-one seemed on for it. He was nearly away with a big guy when he was chased down by another Swords lad (despite me screaming at him to sit up):eek:

There's one Swords rider (slightly continental look and curly brown hair which sprouts out the back of his helmet) who always seems to be doing loads of work in these A4 races (Paddy's Day in Dunboyne springs to mind).

I'm definitely stalking him.

I don't know about that - I heard of one orwell A4 that was carted off in an ambulance.

I was talking to the rider who fell on top of him, assuming it's the same crash.

Apparently someone was making a mad dash through and caught his handlebar, sending him down. The rider I spoke to (who was a bit bloody but otherwise uninjured) said there was nothing he could do to avoid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement