Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there such thing as an A tin whistle?

Options
  • 14-03-2010 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I've had need for an A whistle lately but I have had no joy tracking one down. Is there such thing? And if not, any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

galwaybabe wrote: »
    Hi
    I've had need for an A whistle lately but I have had no joy tracking one down. Is there such thing? And if not, any suggestions?

Theres Alto whistles in A, have a look at Dixon's range here:
    http://www.tonydixonmusic.co.uk/catalogue/dixonshop.html

But........ Can I ask why do you need an A whistle, like what for exactly, there are some easy tricks for playing in A (assuming you're looking to play in A). I play quite a few tunes in A but I don't have an A whistle. Theres 3 things I do, for a start I might just learn the tune using A fingering and play it on a D whistle, however this can be awkward when theres a G sharp involved. If I know the tune already in G I just pick up an E whistle, play it the same way and it comes out in A. Or if it's in the middle of a set and I don't want to switch whistles and the tune has no C naturals, I move all my fingers up one (leaving the bottom hole open) and my G tunes come out in A.

I use a Shaw E, but Dixons do a Trad in E which is a cheap little gem, if you decide to go down that route instead and stay in Soprano.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Thanks for those tips Blade. I've just ordered myself a Shaw E.
    The reason I need it is for a couple of compositions a friend has written. I am going to try out your tips while I'm waiting for the Shaw to arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 oaktowntim

Hi. I'm a big fan of Michael Burke whistles (U.S. maker, near Chicago). I like the A whistle for tone, as it's a lovely midrange and he makes then in a variety of materials, including aluminum and resin. They can be ordered easily online: http://www.burkewhistles.com/

Good luck and have fun...

tim

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

galwaybabe wrote: »
    Thanks for those tips Blade. I've just ordered myself a Shaw E.
    The reason I need it is for a couple of compositions a friend has written. I am going to try out your tips while I'm waiting for the Shaw to arrive.

Shaw's E is a nice whistle, I don't like any of their others though. Remember though that this will still pack a bit of a punch as you're still in soprano, so would this be still suited to your friend's compositions? It might be too high depending on what they've written. As I said I use the E mainly for tunes I know in G but someone decides to kick them off in A. If a low whistle is more suited you can always just use a low D and play in A. All you have to remember is that the G's are sharp which you may not be used to fingering. They can be cross fingered or better half holed, top two down and half covering the 3rd hole.

Advertisement