Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pigs ears for a pup of about 15 weeks?

Options
  • 14-03-2010 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Yay or Nay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Other peoples dogs might be different but with ours I stopped giving them pigs ears. They do love them and I was tempted with our pup to give him one to help the teething. But anytime I give my girls pigs ears (no matter what 'brand') they get the runs, I rekon a lot of them are stored too long and very greasy.

Both my dogs have had to have a trip to the vets because of them and been on medication fluids and fasting them wasn't enough to stop the runs.

For our new guy I used a puppy kong and other puppy teething toys.
    He's only little but is now on the red kong but has managed to do a good bit of damage to that too so thinking of getting him a black kong.
    Puppy kongs are best to start with the origional shape or the long one so the pup can hold it while chewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

try the hi life bones in tesco. They are healtier and great at cleaning teeth. Just always supervise a young pup chewing treats/bones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

Definately nay. They love them, but as someone else posted, they can upset their stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Ice cubes are another favourite for teething pups, our couch and kitchen chairs are too..just as well I'm not fond of the furniture lol.

The hard white filled bones (there's not much filling in them anyway) are handy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Oh noooooo!!

I gave my dog one when he was only about 4 months old an we had a trip to the vets afterwards.
    Needless to say he has never had another since!

I give him rawhide bones (whilst supervised) now instead and a dentastick as his bedtime treat. I've never had problems with them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

jen_23 wrote: »
    I give him rawhide bones (whilst supervised) now instead and a dentastick as his bedtime treat. I've never had problems with them :)

Those dentisticks are great. Lidl do great little treats also. Well my dogs seem to love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

rebel10 wrote: »
    Those dentisticks are great. Lidl do great little treats also. Well my dogs seem to love them.

I asked my vet about dentastix (and similar products) and he said not to waste the money! I found they gave my guys very dodgy poos, one in particular, and did nothing for their teeth (I would go so far as to say they made them worse!)

OP - I have found that pigs ears give some of my dogs the scuts (some worse than others) so they don't get them anymore. I wouldn't recommend giving them to a young pup because they may be a bit difficult to digest. As Guinespigrescue already said - puppy Kongs are great for teething pups, as are raw hide and flossies (rope toys with knots at either end) but you wold need to supervise the pup while they have them. Keep them busy for ages and helps curb eating of socks, beds etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

Pigs ears are disgusting.......if your pup is teething, try this trick - worked wonders for mine - buy some cheap cotton tea towels and after they have been washed (first time) soak in cold water, squeeze excess water and the tie into a knot. Freeze and enjoy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭bl8ckh8art

I'm a vegetarian and have no problem giving my rottweiler pigs ears and joints and bones with gristle on them. Although rottweilers have got one of the strongest jaws for pressure per square inch so they bite through bone like a hot knife though butter. 2400 pounds of pressure per square inch, double that of the German Shepherd. Depends on what kind of dog you have to give them hard bone to bite through.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I give raw bones. Big shin bones with loads of marrow. You can hear him licking the marrow out. DISGUSTING. But he loves them.

I never buy meat so the butcher is probably fed up of me going in and leaving with just freebies. :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement