Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milton v's supermarket own brand.

Options
  • 14-03-2010 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks.

Quick question. I use Milton to clean baby bottles. However I noticed the supermarket own brand is half the price and twice the qty. I was thinking of switching to it.

The thing is the supermarket brand say you must rinse the bottles with cool boiled water where as with Milton you dont.

Now looking at them they look like they are both the same ingredients so I wonder is it over kill by the supermarkets.

Anyone any experience or words of wisdom on this?

Your info is appreciated.

PS: its not necessary to reply if you steam as I am talking about the use of milton. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

If I were using the milton I'd still rince with boiled water afterwards, I'm not sure why one would specify this and the other doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

If I were using the milton I'd still rince with boiled water afterwards, I'm not sure why one would specify this and the other doesn't.

Fair enough. But it is unnecessary the dilution is so strong that the chlorine in your water is prob stronger.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'd agree that it's unnecessary. I could always smell the milton from the bottles after they were sterilized which is why I'd have given them a rince.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

Re the rinsing after you sterilize i felt like doing the same - usually use sterilizer but on weekends away etc i use them. do you think it effects taste of milk etc if not rinsed?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

livvy wrote: »
    Re the rinsing after you sterilize i felt like doing the same - usually use sterilizer but on weekends away etc i use them. do you think it effects taste of milk etc if not rinsed?

Thats the thing. my 6 week old never tells me and I hate the taste of aptimel anyway ;)

I dont know if it does but I doubt it as the amount of water is so much greater than the fluid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I was using the milton and i didn't rinse the bottles but i was concerned about the smell of the bleach on the bottles after they were done, so i switched to the microwave steam sterilizer..4 mins to done...
    i know the dilution ratio means that you could actually drink it without it doing any harm (not advising you do this:D) but its a bit unnerving with a newborn, if you're in any doubt i'd rinse them in boiling water anyway.. better safe than sorry i suppose..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You do not hve to rinse after milton but you do after alot of the other brands.
    The boots own brand one you do have to rinse with boiling water after and they all do the same job so I would buy the cheaper one and rinse.
    I have a big preference for steam but the few times we have got stranded somewhere milton has been a life saver!!

Advertisement