Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radio Jobs

• 14-03-2010 8:46pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know of any jobs going around the country. I'm looking to get in anywhere doing anything, making tea, promotions, whatever!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

It's one of the hardest businesses to get into. They don't just let anyone in. You need experience or qualifications or a relative in the station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Especially the third one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

I would say that the pay is dire. My local station seems to have cut back big time on well known names that were there for years. They must have been let go or something because of the economic situation.

Alot of the news readers who have replaced them ound very young, like just out of college. And there is alot less talk programmes on. There is definitley more music than there used to be. So I would say there are jobs for DJ's alright willing to work for a few ha'pennys!

Having said all that, here is another thing, I dont listen as much to my local station as I used to and neither do some of my neighbours whom I meet, but evey time the JNLRs come out, they crow on the radio, to the high heavens about going up in listenership. They never seem to go down and I cant understand that because they dont do as many of the local club GAA matches that they used to have either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭dib

Fago! wrote: »
    It's one of the hardest businesses to get into. They don't just let anyone in. You need experience or qualifications or a relative in the station.
    Especially the third one!!

There are some very bitter people out there!

On a side note, the amount of people that are doing "multimedia" and "Sound Engineering" courses that expect to walk into a job in a National Station is laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

The best way in is by volunteering at community/hospital radio, or your local radio station if you can get in. For free, obviously. Even create your own podcasts or run your own internet radio station and familiarise yourself with software like adobe audition/cool edit etc. You can't just expect to walk into a job in radio without any basic skills in the medium.

• Advertisement

dib wrote: »
    There are some very bitter people out there

You know we're right!
    eth0_ wrote: »
    The best way in is by volunteering at community/hospital radio, or your local radio station if you can get in. For free, obviously. Even create your own podcasts or run your own internet radio station and familiarise yourself with software like adobe audition/cool edit etc. You can't just expect to walk into a job in radio without any basic skills in the medium.

He's on the trolley.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

Right place, right time for most people. Also, a bit of talent along with some experience helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

On a side note, the amount of people that are doing "multimedia" and "Sound Engineering" courses that expect to walk into a job in a National Station is laughable.

Realistic I prefer to call it .

History bears out that argument dibbser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

Actually I find the fact they said you have to a have a relative at a station to be quite true if not a relative someone you know that is willing to plug you as such. I asked one presenter for help on a college project once and he told me himself he had only agreed to help cos another dj had suggested it. Likewise I've gotten work ex simply from knowing this dj and the people have told me if it wasn't for him they wouldn't have agreed!
    It's a ridiculous attitude to have cos they should take you on your own abilities not on who you know!

As for the point on courses having come from kairos I don't think anyone in my year thought they were going to walk straight into a national job! I think we all knew it was going to be a tough fight to get in anywhere and afaik two years on none of us has managed it yet!! But then I also find with stations they prefere males to females when it comes to giving out work experience AND it depends on the course you did as to whether they pay attention as well.. for example they seem to pay alot more attention to people who have come out of Ballyfermot than those who have come out of Kairos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

petals wrote: »
    Actually I find the fact they said you have to a have a relative at a station to be quite true if not a relative someone you know that is willing to plug you as such. I asked one presenter for help on a college project once and he told me himself he had only agreed to help cos another dj had suggested it. Likewise I've gotten work ex simply from knowing this dj and the people have told me if it wasn't for him they wouldn't have agreed!

Unlike you to say that, Petals.

A previous quote from you
    "I smell jealousy!
    If they weren't capable of doing the job it doesn't matter who they know or who's ass they kissed they wouldn't be there!
    "

Do I sense a bit of growing up here.........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Unlike you to say that, Petals.

A previous quote from you
    "I smell jealousy!
    If they weren't capable of doing the job it doesn't matter who they know or who's ass they kissed they wouldn't be there!
    "

Do I sense a bit of growing up here.........

What year was that posted in ha!!!

If you read it it still says pretty much exactly the same thing worded differently!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I think it's a case of an and rather than an or - you need talent and realistically, you need connections - one is no good without another. I'll start a people available / people needed sticky tomorrow.

tbh wrote: »
    I think it's a case of an and rather than an or - you need talent and realistically, you need connections - one is no good without another. I'll start a people available / people needed sticky tomorrow.

That post stinks of "I can't be arsed, I'll do it later" or "I'm goin on t'piss, I'll do it when I'm sober - whenever that may be"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 Blackjackdavey

eth0_ wrote: »

Most Hospital Radio stations are gone and a lot of community stations are using FAS back to work schemes to fill their positions.

But familiarising yourself with the software is a definite step in the right direction. If you fancy yourself as talent, buy a podcasting kit from Thomann.de and make your own podcasts to get some homemade practice!

Advertisement