Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting Site?

Options
  • 14-03-2010 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭

Our web site was designed for us and we had to use the company to host it for a year as per contract we signed.

Now the year is up and the site now is effectively ours. Do we need to use another company to host it. There will be no changes required for it ever just want to have a web address and to have us on gooogle. I am aware of SEO and did get a few tips on how to keep it listed near the top of Google.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭pixeldesign

If you need hosting i can give you for free if you dont have a big site.Just pm me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

femur61 wrote: »
    Our web site was designed for us and we had to use the company to host it for a year as per contract we signed.

Now the year is up and the site now is effectively ours. Do we need to use another company to host it. There will be no changes required for it ever just want to have a web address and to have us on gooogle. I am aware of SEO and did get a few tips on how to keep it listed near the top of Google.

If the contract states that you own the website, well then you can do whatever you like with it. However, if the site is anyway complex, it may be an absolute nightmare to move.

Most hosting companies will not move the site for you. It's like if you bought a new house, the seller wouldn't pay for the removal company to move your stuff in.

Hosting is very competitive price wise today - just make sure you get someone you can trust and has great support!
    If you need hosting i can give you for free if you dont have a big site.Just pm me!

I've a few hundred sites, you want to host all mine for free? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭pixeldesign

I said that i would host his website only if it is not too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

I said that i would host his website only if it is not too big.

I know.... just playin! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I switched to Hosting365 recently and am extremely delirah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

femur61 wrote: »

If you want to move hosting provider you will need to:
    • Backup existing site in its entirety
    • Setup all content on new provider
    • Test it
    • Check how your email is configured
    • Test that the email is all setup properly
    • Transfer the domain (or at least the DNS)
    • Wait for the DNS to update globally

And that's not an exhaustive list ..

Depending on how the site is setup and how complex it is (databases etc.,) moving it to a new provider could be very easy or it could be an absolute nightmare :)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Huff n Puff

I wouldn't be the biggest fan of hosting365 in the world.

I don't think you can go wrong with Blacknight for hosting to be honest. Their customer support is second to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

I was in contact with them. They offer live online chat so got immediate reply to my questions. No wonder they come so highly recommended. I was on a web design course and the instructor suggested them. My husband is in construction so we have to cut costs so have to do as much as we can ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

I hosted with JustHost and they've been nothing short of excellent. Not a plug or anbything.

Advertisement