Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Dimension 9200 CPU upgrade

Options
  • 14-03-2010 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

I'm pretty sure that there will be no probs with this but just to be sure:
    I want to go from Intel Dual Core 1.8Ghz
    to
    E5400
    Intel Dual Core 2.7Ghz

Would that give a noticeable performance lift?
    My other concern is the heatsink side. Would I need to clean and apply the artic sliver? Some 'how to dos' say yes and others no. Thanks

bit more info: PSU 750w
    ATI Sapphire HD5670 512mb
    6GB Ram - win7 premium

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I'll check later but off the bat I'm pretty sure that won't fly. That E5400 is a 45nm C2D. The naff old mobos in Dimension 9*** units can only take old 65nm Core2 CPUs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

On the spec page,
    or rather the XPS 210 which is the same thing,
    these are the processors listed:

Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo Processor E6300 (2MB L2 Cache,1.86GHz,1066)
    Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo Processor E6400 (2MB L2 Cache,2.13GHz,1066)
    Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo Processor E6600 (4MB L2 Cache,2.4GHz,1066)
    Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo Processor E6700 (4MB L2 Cache,2.66GHz,1066)

I'm not having any great luck finding one online...the 2.4GHz looks good.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

They're all a couple of generations behind now so stock will be very hard to find.

What are you trying to do with this PC anyway? Would a Q6600 be a better bet? 2.4GHz but four cores to play with ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

I'm trying to do a painless, cheap and effective upgrade lol
    It Ebay for this sort of thing, now. Not sure its worth it.

the one you suggested is available on there - thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

On ebay the 6700 should be about 60 to 100 euros I believe.

Looking at benchmarks.. the 6700 does increase fps over the 6300.. not a huge amount.. but its there..

The dilema is that a tricore AMD chip is only about 65 bucks.. but for that you'd need a new motherboard, and the killer is the expensive ram..

I would say, if the QUAD 6600 will work with it.. go for the Quad definitely..

Problem is.. people are still going nuts for them, so they aren't quite the bargains on ebay they should be

• Advertisement
Advertisement