Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney v Messi

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Messi. He's fouled, he picks himself up. No swearing at the ref. No childish tantrums. I've never seen him starfish in the box to cheat the opposition.

So, even if all other things are equal (and they're not quite) being decent and honest and an ambassador for the game should swing it for him.

ah now, he is prone to a bit a reasonable bit of cheating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I mentioned this in the La Liga thread, but this is why I love Messi. His second goal tonight. I dont know about it being the best ever as one poster described, but it certainly showed the difference between him and a player like Ronaldo. Im a huge Ronaldo fan boy, Im as biased towards him as you'll get probably, but where Ronaldo would have flailed his arms in the air after that 50/50 tussle on the half way line and undoubtedly win his team a free kick, Messi see's a goal scoring opportunity. From the half way line. With several players still to beat. It's fúcking ridiculous. United beat Liverpool 2-1, Chelsea drop points, and all I can talk and think about is Lionel fúcking Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Liam O wrote: »
    ah now, he is prone to a bit a reasonable bit of cheating.

I'm probably the biggest Messi fanboy in here. Although he doesn't blatantly dive, or feign injury, he does have a bad temper when things aint going his way (he'll kick out every now and then when fouled). He also had that 'hand of god MKII' moment.

Still though - enjoying this Messi wankfest tbh. :P :P :P

eZe^ wrote: »

I dont think there's a United fan out there - myself included - who didn't adopt a certain level of smugness when Ronaldo was cruising his way to his 42 goal season.

I can only imagine how you feel right now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

When a vid of tonight's goals surfaces will someone post it so I can e mail a link to some people who need enlightening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Ush1 wrote: »
    As John Giles says you gotta judge them when their career is over. Messi is 22 and his potential has no limits....

as much as i love Gilesy just because he says something doesn't mean it's right
    say for some unfortunate reason his career was ended soon i'd still say he was the player who posessed the most ability of them all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

25 goals in La Liga this season in 24 games. :eek: 10 assists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'm probably the biggest Messi fanboy in here. Although he doesn't blatantly dive, or feign injury, he does have a bad temper when things aint going his way (he'll kick out every now and then when fouled). He also had that 'hand of god MKII' moment.

Makes him all the better. He stuck the nut in against Shaktar I think it was. It's a better trait when constantly being kicked than that Portuguese lad has.;)

was gonna mention that as it's definitely the most prevalent. Still, like with Rooney and Ronaldo, the pleasure of watching them is far outweighed by the bad stuff.

flahavaj wrote: »
    When a vid of tonight's goals surfaces will someone post it so I can e mail a link to some people who need enlightening.

look up :p

oops wrong thread :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/5119001/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

He had to do the hand of god, having already recreated the Maradona wonder goal v England. It was a symbollic gesture, if that makes sense to you. Announcing himself as the new Maradona. The REAL new Maradona.

heavyballs wrote: »
    as much as i love Gilesy just because he says something doesn't mean it's right
    say for some unfortunate reason his career was ended soon i'd still say he was the player who posessed the most ability of them all

Fair enough. Maradona was fairly special though.

Archimedes wrote: »
    I dont think there's a United fan out there - myself included - who didn't adopt a certain level of smugness when Ronaldo was cruising his way to his 42 goal season.

His 38 goal season last year was my equivalent. Right now I'm just proud of Barca as a club. Not sure people know his story, it's breath taking. Just think, his parents couldn't afford to pay for the growth hormone programme he required to function as footballer, neither could any Argentine side that were interested in signing him.

They sought help in Europe, Barca saw potential, offered him the medical program, gave him and his family a home and found his father a job, and from the year 2000 on he joined Barcelona and trained at La Masia. If even one thing conspired differently, we may not be witnessing the player we see before us. La Masia's greatest ever student without a doubt.

His 38 goal season last year was my equivalent. Right now I'm just proud of Barca as a club. Not sure people know his story, it's breath taking. Just think, his parents couldn't afford to pay for the growth hormone programme he required to function as footballer, neither could any Argentine side that were interested in signing him.

They sought help in Europe, Barca saw potential, offered him the medical program, gave him and his family a home and found his father a job, and from the year 2000 on he joined Barcelona and trained at La Masia. If even one thing conspired differently, we may not be witnessing the player we see before us. La Masia's greatest ever student without a doubt.

Yup I've heard that story, and that's why I dont think he'll ever leave Barcelona.

Chin up Archi, sure haven't we Rooney on course to do the same.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Yup I've heard that story, and that's why I dont think he'll ever leave Barcelona.

Lets hope you are right.

That's right but Messi didn't live there in the camp as Xavi and Iniesta did. He just came during the day as far as I know. Amazing story.

He will! He wants to go back and play in Argentina I believe, but he said he won't leave until he has repaid the debt he owes to Barcelona.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

so what your saying is that all this great play is down to performance enhancing drugs?:D

He will! He wants to go back and play in Argentina I believe, but he said he won't leave until he has repaid the debt he owes to Barcelona.

so end of the season then ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Still, the cost was only $900/month or $10,800 a year. A pittance when you think about it. Amazing to think professional clubs passed up on him just because of that, should have been able to spot the potential return on the investment!

I breaks my heart to think that Maradona's incompetence may cost us the chance to see Messi utulised to the best of his ability in the World Cup. Because of the fact that a lot of fans will only see him play in the CL or World Cup he needs to do well in the Summer to be universally accepted as one of the all time greats.

I really hope Diego doesn't blagguard him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Any word on that dental problem he had the other day coming back or anything?:P

I breaks my heart to think that Maradona's incompetence may cost us the chance to see Messi utulised to the best of his ability in the World Cup. Because of the fact that a lot of fans will only see him play in the CL or World Cup he needs to do well in the Summer to be universally accepted as one of the all time greats.

I really hope Diego doesn't blagguard him.

Well if they don't accept him already, they don't know much about football.

Messi and Argentinas talent is not in any doubt, Maradona as a coach is though.

• Advertisement

Well if they don't accept him already, they don't know much about football.

Messi and Argentinas talent is not in any doubt, Maradona as a coach is though.

You know what I mean though, theres many who will have no idea he scored that hat trick tonight, not to mind how god it was, ofr how exceptional his goalscoring record has been.

You know what I mean though, theres many who will have no idea he scored that hat trick tonight, not to mind how god it was, ofr how exceptional his goalscoring record has been.

Not to pigeon hole, but if you mean the likes of typical EPL fanboys with blinkers to any other league, who cares?

I hope Messi does well in the World Cup as it's the highest honour there is but for me it won't detract from anything he has achieved if one mad coach throws a spanner in the works. It happened to him at the last world cup under Peckerman. He brought on Julio Cruz instead of him when they needed a goal. Nobody who watches Messi cares though, they know how talented he is.

raven136 wrote: »
    so what your saying is that all this great play is down to performance enhancing drugs?:D

Oh of course, Kluivert today said he has magnets in his boots too. So drugs + magnets would explain it.
    Still, the cost was only $900/month or $10,800 a year. A pittance when you think about it. Amazing to think professional clubs passed up on him just because of that, should have been able to spot the potential return on the investment!

Not necessarily that simple. He was tiny, as in an official dwarf/midget (can't remember which one), so alot of clubs would probably viewed him as a quick small player that'll probably only prosper at youth level.

Not to pigeon hole, but if you mean the likes of typical EPL fanboys with blinkers to any other league, who cares?

I hope Messi does well in the World Cup as it's the highest honour there is but for me it won't detract from anything he has achieved if one mad coach throws a spanner in the works. It happened to him at the last world cup under Peckerman. He brought on Julio Cruz instead of him when they needed a goal. Nobody who watches Messi cares though, they know how talented he is.

Ah yeah 100% agreed. But it annoys me when you actually have to argue when people tell you Ronaldo, Rooney, Drogba and Torres are better, when the evidence is there every Sunday night to the contrary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

I think the only thing here that everybody should be able to agree on is, right now, both of these players are the best in the world.

IMO Messi is just that little bit better, attacking wise. I can only see videos of Maradona and Pele, but, and this is IMO, Messi is the best player I've ever seen. Scary is the fact that he is still only 22.

Nonetheless, everybody should be watching these two players play because you are really missing out if you don't.

Rooney has been magic all season and Messi has been phenomenal as usual. Just watch the highlights of tonights game against Real Zaragoza. Amazing stuff, we should all be privileged that in our generation we get to see both of these players week in week out.

• Advertisement

Ah yeah 100% agreed. But it annoys me when you actually have to argue when people tell you Ronaldo, Rooney, Drogba and Torres are better, when the evidence is there every Sunday night to the contrary.

Yep, I have the same conversations with lads in the pub who only watch EPL. And I really enjoy watching Rooney and Drogba etc... and think they are special players aswell. Here's hoping they all perform at the WC and it's one to remember!

Osu wrote: »
    I think the only thing here that everybody should be able to agree on is, right now, both of these players are the best in the world.

IMO Messi is just that little bit better, attacking wise. I can only see videos of Maradona and Pele, but, and this is IMO, Messi is the best player I've ever seen. Scary is the fact that he is still only 22.

Nonetheless, everybody should be watching these two players play because you are really missing out if you don't.

Rooney has been magic all season and Messi has been phenomenal as usual. Just watch the highlights of tonights game against Real Zaragoza. Amazing stuff, we should all be privileged that in our generation we get to see both of these players week in week out.

No, Messi is not a little bit better. He is head and shoulders above anybody.

Let's keep it real.

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    No, Messi is not a little bit better. He is head and shoulders above anybody.

Let's keep it real.

wouldn't go that far tbh. Rooney and Ronaldo are well within his league. Messi has a better supporting cast than either of them too imo. I think he is the best right now but a couple of weeks ago (maybe through bias) I thought Rooney was better. One great/horrible performance could swing it either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

wouldn't go that far tbh. Rooney and Ronaldo are well within his league. Messi has a better supporting cast than either of them too imo. I think he is the best right now but a couple of weeks ago (maybe through bias) I thought Rooney was better. One great/horrible performance could swing it either way.

Im going to counter argue that Messi created at least 4 goals from nothing out of his 8 goal haul this week.

Not really. Rooney could play with anybody he likes and he still wouldn't be able to score the goals Messi scores. Messi is just a lot more talented than the guy. He does things nobody else can do. Simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

one feels messi could pkay blindfolded at times the little feker

if rooney was blindfolded he would fall on his ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

one feels messi could pkay blindfolded at times the little feker

if rooney was blindfolded he would fall on his ass

I've heard it all now. Messi can play blindfolded.

Some perspective please lads. He's an amazing footballer, but the level rooney and Ronaldo play at is up there. Someone said he's the best ever!!! Please!

He's class, best in the world, I think so. But the sh!t I've just quoted needs to be reined in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Right now - Rooney is amazing and vitally important to United. Messi is just that bit more amazing. Being the second best player in the world is no bad thing.

Personally, I think if you swapped the two Rooney would fare better at Barcelona than Messi would at United, but that is more to do with how United are currently set up and the players we currently have.

Right now - Rooney is amazing and vitally important to United. Messi is just that bit more amazing. Being the second best player in the world is no bad thing.

Personally, I think if you swapped the two Rooney would fare better at Barcelona than Messi would at United, but that is more to do with how United are currently set up and the players we currently have.

Interesting point with Madrid being linked to United, someone said to me that actually Barca would be a far better destination for him IF he ever left United. And its true, Rooney would be ideal for Barca playing up front through the middle, but also with the ability to pull wide and interchange positions with messi and henry et al. Frightening prospect.:eek:

davyjose wrote: »
    I've heard it all now. Messi can play blindfolded.

Some perspective please lads. He's an amazing footballer, but the level rooney and Ronaldo play at is up there. Someone said he's the best ever!!! Please!

He's class, best in the world, I think so. But the sh!t I've just quoted needs to be reined in.

Jesus Christ man, he didn't mean it literally.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Oh of course, Kluivert today said he has magnets in his boots too. So drugs + magnets would explain it.

Yeah, but not much use having magnets if La Liga don't organise magnets to be put in the ball as well.

I'd be astonished Marca's investigative journalists aren't on the case as we type :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

enjoying this Messi wankfest tbh. :P :P :p

This made me childishly giggle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I think Ronaldo is the second best player in the world with Rooney third but Messi is the King.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Warper wrote: »
    I think Ronaldo is the second best player in the world with Rooney third but Messi is the King.

Right now - Rooney is providing the goals Ronaldo does with a crap load more team work and work rate, that puts him over Ronaldo at the moment for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Is anyone who doesn't support United still trying to say Rooney is up there with him?

Messi is miles ahead and soon will be known as the best player ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Miles ahead? lol

Get a grip mate, your bitterness cos of your own team's recent form is blinding you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Dave! wrote: »
    Miles ahead? lol

Get a grip mate, your bitterness cos of your own team's recent form is blinding you

If you watched Messi's hatrick last night, you wouldn't be questioning that. Messi went through 4 players for one of his goals, just ridiculous skill.

Rooney is a great player no doubt, but Messi is not only the best footballer of his generation, but he's putting his flag up there to compete for the best of all time.

Miles ahead? lol

Not really, never been in question for me. Messi is off the scale talent wise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Miles ahead? lol

No it isn't that at all. Rooney is a world class player but there is nothing close to the genius that is Messi. Try watching La Liga

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'd much rather Messi than Rooney. I'd agree with CHD that he's miles ahead.

Advertisement