Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney v Messi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭saltie

Ush1 wrote: »
    Not really, never been in question for me. Messi is off the scale talent wise.

agreed - he`s miles ahead of anyone else. His balance, poise, burst of pace and power are unstoppable. That and his trusty left peg. Messi by a mile for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Frisbee wrote: »
    I'd much rather Messi than Rooney. I'd agree with CHD that he's miles ahead.

Messi is in a world of his own and is a phenomenal talent, amazing to watch. As good as Rooney is, there is just no comparison between the two. Messi will go as one the greatest ever along with the likes of Pele and Maradonna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Dave! wrote: »
    Miles ahead? lol

Get a grip mate, your bitterness cos of your own team's recent form is blinding you

Both are amazing but, Messi is definitely better. For me Messi influences games more often than Rooney. His first 3 (full) seasons at Barcelona weren't as prolific but that was mainly through injury. Some people are arguing that Messi has better personnel around him and maybe he does (were these same people arguing that case when United knocked Barca out of the champions league?) but, the amount of goals he creates completely on his own is amazing!

Rooney is 20 months older than Messi too so, for me, I'd pick Messi over Rooney all day long!

Last two seasons:
    Player|Apps|Goals|GPG|Assists|APG
    Messi|89|72|0.81|29|0.33
    Rooney|88|53|0.60|17|0.19

Previous 3:
    Messi|101|41|0.41|20|0.20
    Rooney|146|60|0.41|42|0.29

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Rooney and Utd have benefited from playing Rooney through the middle and as more of an out and out striker but that still doesnt bring him near the level of Messi who is just on another planet.

Its a rela joy to watch him play, he rarely moans or complains when he has players hanging off him or tryig kick him, his attitude towards the game is second to none considering to amount of attention he gets from opposition players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Messi is miles ahead, Rooney is in the top 3 best players in the world at the moment but as someone said Messi is just on a different level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Ok this is another debate but just a side issue...Messi is a better player than Maradona was at his age.

Remember Maradona's peak was from 1986 to 1990 when he was 26-30 yrs old.

Messi is only just turning 23....:eek:

p.s. Nobody would compare Rooney to Maradona so that prob sums it up for me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Just seen messi's hat trick there..unreal..Dont think he will ever leave barca never mind to come to the prem..Prob have his leg broken by this stage if he played here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I think Messi is considerabley better than Rooney. I would class him in the bracket above Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Hmm.

Looking ar Messi's goal per game is pretty unreal, but I have to ask would the standard of defending be better in the premiership?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Hmm.

Looking ar Messi's goal per game is pretty unreal, but I have to ask would the standard of defending be better in the premiership?

NO

PL Goals scored

Man Utd - 72
    Chelsea - 70
    Arsenal - 73

City, Spurs and Liverpool have all scored 50 goals +

La Liga Goals scored
    Barca - 68
    Real - 74

Granted there has been 2 less La Liga games so far but no other team has scored over 50 goals in Spain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Hmm.

Well it does have Paul Mcshane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Hmm.

I'm not so sure but if you just compare them in the champions league (where they both play) the last two seasons:

Messi|20|13|0.65|6|0.3
    Rooney|18|8|0.44|4|0.22

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

I would take Messi over Rooney. I think Messi would be able to service another striker better with more assists just with his all around play and ability to link up with the midfield and forwards. He is single handedly keeping Barca in the title race.

But in sayin that I do think that there is alot to be said about the standard of defending in Spanish football is alot weaker than the standard in the premiership.

Would Messi find the time and space to weave his magic in the Prem? Another debateable point. Chelsea and United have both managed to keep him quiet in recent years altho the Champions League Final last year the header was fantastic.

Also in the OP one of the statements was in relation to Messi states him as a midfield player. Messi is regarded more a wing forward than a midfielder. Or a support forward rather than an attacking midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Pretty hillarious posing the question how Messi would cope with the English league. In case you hasn't noticed, he plays for the reigning Champions of Europe, he scored a goal in the final against the best team in England. IMHO, he's playing in the best league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Hmm.

The standard of kicking good players to stop them from playing football is much higher in the premiereship, and the refereeing philosophy assists this no end.

Memnoch wrote: »
    The standard of kicking good players to stop them from playing football is much higher in the premiereship, and the refereeing philosophy assists this no end.

Same thing happens in La Liga. Same kicking of players same bad referring decisions. Same debates same results... no action or aid from Fifa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Googled highlights from the hat-trick game.

Ended all debate for me-

Messi is streets ahead.

Watch for the assist for the last goal alone. If he hadn't been hauled down would have been the goal of the season. As it stands his second goal is pretty close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0gQuOo-Mws

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Same thing happens in La Liga. Same kicking of players same bad referring decisions. Same debates same results... no action or aid from Fifa.

I don't think he'd be as effective in England as Spain and I definitely don't think Rooney would perform to his standard in Spain.

The Premiership is more physically intense than La Liga, it's natural that a physically stronger player would perform relatively better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

dyl10 wrote: »
    I don't think he'd be as effective in England as Spain and I definitely don't think Rooney would perform to his standard in Spain.

The Premiership is more physically intense than La Liga, it's natural that a physically stronger player would perform relatively better.

Nonsense. While not the tallest, Messi is very strong. His ability to stay on his feet from challenges that put most men on their arse is part of what makes him such an amazing player.

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Nonsense. While not the tallest, Messi is very strong. His ability to stay on his feet from challenges that put most men on their arse is part of what makes him such an amazing player.

resilience, guts, determination and attitude to play are what make the great players great even when challenged. Ronaldo's petulance when tackled and challenged makes him so annoying.

• Advertisement

No, that's nonsense. It's pure ignorance to believe that over 2 stone difference betweem professional atheletes doesn't make a significant difference:rolleyes:

No, that's nonsense. It's pure ignorance to believe that over 2 stone difference betweem professional atheletes doesn't make a significant difference:rolleyes:

So you'd rather have Abdoulaye Faye in your midfield than Michael Essien?

So you'd rather have Abdoulaye Faye in your midfield than Michael Essien?

No, that's possibly the stupidest response I've ever seen.

If I was to choose between having Wayne Rooney in his current state or have him 2 stone lighter, I'd take him as he is.

No, that's possibly the stupidest response I've ever seen.

If I was to choose between having Wayne Rooney in his current state or have him 2 stone lighter, I'd take him as he is.

That's nice.

So please tell me, what point are trying to make regarding weight as it pertains to Messi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

i was always on the rooney is over rated bus, until this year. i can see how his game has evolved. he's a very good player but there is no comparison to messi. messi in like neo in the matrix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

IBut in sayin that I do think that there is alot to be said about the standard of defending in Spanish football is alot weaker than the standard in the premiership.

Just comparing the top four in England, Spain and Italy, you will find per game they are all about the same.

The only things the EPL is supreme in are athleticism and product promotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

As much as I love Rooney and think that he's one of the best players in world football (I still laugh when I think of Mr Alans description of him as "Dirk Kuyt with a slightly better touch) I'd have to agree with the majority that Messi is ahead of him at this moment in time. He's just a special, special, talent and I would love to see him win the World Cup with Argentina this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

messi also has a very low centre of gravity, which no one has mentioned

why is why the feker cant be knocked off the ball and seems never to fall over.

rooney doesnt..

maradona was also like this, a perfect example was his goal vs belgium> mexico 86, he was stumbling for miles it seemed when he stuck it into the corner but never did fall.

just pure class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

you're correct:rolleyes:
    2 stone extra does make a difference,less chance(if any)of catchin the little fecker

• Advertisement

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Just comparing the top four in England, Spain and Italy, you will find per game they are all about the same.

The only things the EPL is supreme in are athleticism and product promotion.

Messi doesnt just play against the other top 3 teams in La Liga, he plays against the whole other 19 teams so you cant really judge the defense of the top 4 when he is putting goals in against them ALL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Actually having a thread on this is ridiculous.

digme wrote: »

Agreed, there's no comparison.

your right. Messi is better :p

your right. Messi is better :p

Exactly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

[ ] agree
    [x] strongly agree

• Advertisement

That's nice.

So please tell me, what point are trying to make regarding weight as it pertains to Messi?

That weight and strength are important factors when competeting in a more physically intense competition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

That weight and strength are important factors when competeting in a more physically intense competition.
    But it would't matter with Messi, he is just too good. He's been kicked around in the Bridge a couple of times and came out on top.

Pighead wrote: »
    l (I still laugh when I think of Mr Alans description of him as "Dirk Kuyt with a slightly better touch) I'd have to agree

OMFG, thats the most stupidest comparison i have read to date on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Neither for me. Iniesta's the best player on the planet at the moment in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

andyman wrote: »
    Neither for me. Iniesta's the best player on the planet at the moment in my opinion.

I take it this is a level

• Advertisement

Agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

So there we have it, possibly the best player of all time, 2 CL's etc.. and even if he does win a world cup this summer, he still wouldn't be good enough for the Premier League.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

dont know if its been mentioned, but messi has a better goals to shots ratio in the league+champions league than rooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Exactly!

Great posts. :rolleyes:

Nice to see this thread is still going.

Osu wrote: »

+1

Quality post there from yourself tbh. Genius some might say.

Thread is still going because some people think Rooney is as good. Funny stuff eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

CHD wrote: »
    Quality post there from yourself tbh. Genius some might say.

Thread is still going because some people think Rooney is as good. Funny stuff eh?

[/fail]

Nice to see your still online...

[/fail]

Nice to see your still online...
    Are you saying Rooney is on a par with Messi?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Lionel Messi is not just one of the greatest players in the world at the moment, he is one of the greatest of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Rooney is exceptional (judging by my username, you can assume I have a fair degree of bias ;) ), but Messi is from another planet. Definitely the top two players right now, with Ronaldo in third.

Its a bit of a strange comparison overall given their roles, but I guess its a testament to how well Rooney has done this year that hes being mentioned alongside the likes of Messi.

• Advertisement
Advertisement