Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney v Messi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

The thing is if Ronaldo was getting the sort of service Rooney has been thriving on this season from Valencia; Ronaldo could have been even better for us in a forward central position.

Not doubting Rooneys talent though, its a real tight call between the two.

Messi without a doubt the best player in the world though, absolutely phenomenal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

I'd say Rooney can drive a golf ball further than messi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

This is getting a little out of hand. Yes, Messi is playing well now and is deservedly being lauded as the best player in the world but to say he is 'miles' ahead of Rooney (17 goals in his last 12 games afaik) and Ronaldo (22 goals in 24 for Madrid) is taking it too far imo. He has the 2nd most expensive player in the world as his strike partner and Xavi and Iniesta to set him up too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Liam O wrote: »
    This is getting a little out of hand. Yes, Messi is playing well now and is deservedly being lauded as the best player in the world but to say he is 'miles' ahead of Rooney (17 goals in his last 12 games afaik) and Ronaldo (22 goals in 24 for Madrid) is taking it too far imo. He has the 2nd most expensive player in the world as his strike partner and Xavi and Iniesta to set him up too.

Have a look and see how much he creates all by himself though!

jasonorr wrote: »
    Have a look and see how much he creates all by himself though!

I'm well aware of that and I said he is deservedly being called the best in the world but let's not get carried away, the other 2 are up there with him. I think Messi would struggle a lot more as a lone striker than the other 2. Ronaldo and Rooney can play well all across the front line but Messi struggles when he isn't played precisely in his favoured position.

I'm well aware of that and I said he is deservedly being called the best in the world but let's not get carried away, the other 2 are up there with him. I think Messi would struggle a lot more as a lone striker than the other 2. Ronaldo and Rooney can play well all across the front line but Messi struggles when he isn't played precisely in his favoured position.

Moot point really, why would you play him anywhere other than where he is most devastating. I'd be very surprised to see Rooney moved back to the wings.

Miles ahead might be an exaggeration but, he certainly has something extra!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

syngindub wrote: »
    I'd say Rooney can drive a golf ball further than messi

Aye but Messi makes up for it with a superior short game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Best Among Equals
    I can't believe the rubbish I read about Messi being so much better than Rooney. Just like anyone who claims to love football, I love to see Messi play. But I equally love to see Rooney in action. They are equals, really. Sure, Messi has more trickery, is is more agile because he is lighter and shorter. But then Rooney is more versatile than Messi, tracking back, tackling, linking play between defence and attack.

The thing is they both play in very different leagues. Odds are that Messi would not be as good in the Premier League, just like Rooney might not be as prominent in La Liga. To say, as is often commented on this website, that Messi is in a different league to Rooney, is true in only one sense.

Here are some stats, courtesy of soccer**t. P is of course for "played" and G for "goals." Cups include all cup competitions other than the Champions League, so Charity Shield, FA Cup and Carling Cup for Rooney, and Copa del Rey, World Club Champs and Euro Super Cup for Messi. Interlands are qualification and friendlies.

Wayne Rooney
    League: P 29 G 26
    Cups: P 4 G 3
    CL: P 4 G 4
    England: P 8 G 6
    Total: P 45 G 39

Lionel Messi
    League: P 21 G 25
    Cups: P 5 G 3
    CL: P 7 G 4
    Argentina: P 12 G 4
    Total: P 45 G 36

If anything, it transpires that most of Messi's goals come in La Liga, which is very much a playground for Real Madrid and Barcelona. (And much, much more so than the Premier League is for the big four, just look at the standings in both leagues.) It is fair to say that anyone at a big club in Spain can score goals. Higuaín at Real has 20 in 17 games and he doesn't even get to hit the penalties. Just to show that, if you have the ability, you can score loads of goals in Spain. Messi's impact in the Champions League and for Argentina is a lot smaller. That could indicate that Rooney is better on the bigger stage. (And yes, I know Messi scored in the CL final last year. But I have always said that if "CR7" had not showboated and actually looked around for team mates now and again, that would have been a different game.)

The thing is, you see Rooney a lot more in England than you do Messi, via live games and long highlights on MotD and such. So you also see it when Rooney misses a chance or fluffs a pass or control. In contrast, most of the footage of Messi comes from highlights and clips on websites and shorter highlight reels on programmes about European football. Which will by definition always be stunning.

I am not trying to take anything away from Messi, far from it. He is a FANTASTIC football player. But I'm sure if you asked him about Rooney, he would talk about his colleague with every bit as much respect and awe as Rooney would when asked about Messi.

They are both simply out of the ordinary at the moment and two of the very best players in the world. In any case, World Cup performances pending, it is or should be between these two for Fifa Player of the Year and the Ballon d'Or. You know what the greatest thing would be? Just think about it. Rooney and Messi in one team. Now THAT is mouth-watering.
    Wim Van Walle, Antwerp, Belgium
    ** Courtesy of some dude on the Football365 forums. This debate rages on every football website.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

^^^^^^^ Was Messi not the top scorer in the CL last year?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

People go on about goals per game ratios, facts, figures etc.... for me the question is who would you prefer to pay your hard earned money to watch Rooney or Messi?
    My money will go to Messi.... everytime. Yes, Rooney is having a fantastic season but Messi is simply fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

CHD wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^ Was Messi not the top scorer in the CL last year?

He sure was and I think he was second top scorer the previous season too. Messi and Rooney are not equals. Anyone that watches the 2 of them play on a regular basis will tell you that - Messi is superior. What is with some Utd fans that they constantly seem to have the "best" player playing for them. Last year Ronaldo was the best player in the world and this year it is Rooney?? Messi was the best player last year, this year and probably will be for the rest of his career. He is the best player since Maradona - the previous best player ever to play the game. At 22 I would rate him above one of the all-time greats - Zidane, who was the best player of the last 20 years.

To say he wouldn't be as successful in the PL really is laughable. He is kicked and pushed in every single match and is the most fouled player in the world yet some think that he wouldn't be able to adjust?? Btw despite what some fans like to think, Ronaldo is still a better player than Rooney. I am not taking away from Rooney who is a world class player and I would put him third in the world which is exceptional but he ain't no Messi and he never will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Messi is the best player in the world without doubt. Most fans will tell you that. However he is not head and shoulders above Rooney. Rooney is a world-class player. There is no absolute massive gap between the two. But he is undoubtedly a better player.

Osu wrote: »
    Ronaldo was the best player last season. You ruin your statement with that. Messi is the best player this season. Ronaldo played better overall than Messi last year. But, this year, Messi has been better than Ronaldo was last year. If Messi keeps up this form for the next 3-4 years he will have to be regarded as the best player of all time, bar none. However, I don't want to be too premature with that statement by saying he is the best ever, now.

Messi is the best player in the world without doubt. Most fans will tell you that. However he is not head and shoulders above Rooney. Rooney is a world-class player. There is no absolute massive gap between the two. But he is undoubtedly a better player.

What??? I think you're thinking of two years ago! Messi was better than Ronaldo last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Osu wrote: »
    Ronaldo was the best player last season. You ruin your statement with that. Messi is the best player this season. Ronaldo played better overall than Messi last year. But, this year, Messi has been better than Ronaldo was last year. If Messi keeps up this form for the next 3-4 years he will have to be regarded as the best player of all time, bar none. However, I don't want to be too premature with that statement by saying he is the best ever, now.

To quote yourself - great post :rolleyes:

Oh dear.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Also, Messi does not take penalties for Barca, whereas Rooney does for utd. It won't skew the stats too much, but it will have an affect. I have no idea how many goals Rooney has scored from pens this season. It could be one or 10 for all I know, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

The one thing is though, that if you take either of them from their respective teams this season, there will be a huge hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

If I remember correctly, I saw on the television that in the PL, he had scored 4 of 5 of 5 of 6 penalties.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

mars bar wrote: »
    he had scored 4 of 5 of 5 of 6 penalties.
    I'd like to see Messi do that :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

jasonorr wrote: »
    What??? I think you're thinking of two years ago! Messi was better than Ronaldo last year!

Sorry, indeed I am. My bad.
    Bodhisopha wrote: »
    To quote yourself - great post :rolleyes:

Oh dear.

Cool. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Rooney weighs about 6 kilos more than Messi. That's head and shoulders, no? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    People go on about goals per game ratios, facts, figures etc.... for me the question is who would you prefer to pay your hard earned money to watch Rooney or Messi?
    My money will go to Messi.... everytime. Yes, Rooney is having a fantastic season but Messi is simply fantastic.

I'd rather Rooney. I agree that Messi is better than him but, as a United fan, I still wouldn't swap him for Messi because I'm happy having him in my side and wouldn't swap him for any player in the world. It's sounds weird I know, but ah well :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

andyman wrote: »
    I'd rather Rooney. I agree that Messi is better than him but, as a United fan, I still wouldn't swap him for Messi because I'm happy having him in my side and wouldn't swap him for any player in the world. It's sounds weird I know, but ah well :D
    are you a united fan or a soccer fan?
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

digme wrote: »
    are you a united fan or a soccer fan?
    :rolleyes:

You going to beat around the bush or are you going to actually make a point?

Messi wouldn't suit United if it was a straight swap for Rooney. Rooney is much better as the lone striker than Messi who needs a strike partner imo. Has Messi ever been played up front on his own? Rooney is far superior in the air to Messi, at least this season and has had to be the only United player in the box a lot this season.

Messi would struggle if he was being double/triple marked if as soon as he got the ball he was swarmed. I don't think it's as prevalent in La Liga because of the wealth of talent that Barca have. Obviously teams are gonna make a special effort on Messi but then they have to think about Ibra, Iniesta, Xavi etc. so these will create a lot more space in and around the box than Nani/Valencia who play wide.

Park has been great at pulling players away recently because he is a very intelligent footballer who gets into great positions but tbh he isn't a patch on the players Barca have at their disposal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Messi wouldn't suit United if it was a straight swap for Rooney. Rooney is much better as the lone striker than Messi who needs a strike partner imo. Has Messi ever been played up front on his own? Rooney is far superior in the air to Messi, at least this season and has had to be the only United player in the box a lot this season.

Messi would struggle if he was being double/triple marked if as soon as he got the ball he was swarmed. I don't think it's as prevalent in La Liga because of the wealth of talent that Barca have. Obviously teams are gonna make a special effort on Messi but then they have to think about Ibra, Iniesta, Xavi etc. so these will create a lot more space in and around the box than Nani/Valencia who play wide.

Park has been great at pulling players away recently because he is a very intelligent footballer who gets into great positions but tbh he isn't a patch on the players Barca have at their disposal

Who in Gods name wants to see Messi at Man. United? These are different questions all together. I'll simply ask you this, watching both players, who do you think has more natural ability?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

andyman wrote: »
    You going to beat around the bush or are you going to actually make a point?

He did make the point. That being a fan of the beautiful game is far more important than being the fan of a "club." That any true fan of football will set aside their personal bias and prejudice when discussing a topic like this.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Who in Gods name wants to see Messi at Man. United? These are different questions all together. I'll simply ask you this, watching both players, who do you think has more natural ability?

Rooney is better in his position than Messi, Messi is better in his position than Rooney, until they are both played in the same position under similar circumstances I feel it's unfair to judge. Messi is great at running at speed at the defense but these are the moments when Rooney would play a cross field ball to Valencia instead of taking on a bunch of players and get back into the box for the resulting cross. They are different types of players but both fantastic.

They both possess abilities that the other one does and while I enjoy Messi taking on a bunch of players and scoring I also enjoy the vision that Rooney shows along with the finishing touch.

I've said in this thread that Messi is probably superior but I feel that until they both play under the same circumstances it's probably unfair to judge which is why I'm greatly looking forward to be able to look at it unbiased at the WC.

Also I don't want to leave Ronaldo out of this as I feel he could be getting quite underrated from people on here and could be a better player than the both of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Wasn't Messi manufactured with growth hormones? ;)

Rooney is better in his position than Messi, Messi is better in his position than Rooney, until they are both played in the same position under similar circumstances I feel it's unfair to judge. Messi is great at running at speed at the defense but these are the moments when Rooney would play a cross field ball to Valencia instead of taking on a bunch of players and get back into the box for the resulting cross. They are different types of players but both fantastic.

They both possess abilities that the other one does and while I enjoy Messi taking on a bunch of players and scoring I also enjoy the vision that Rooney shows along with the finishing touch.

I've said in this thread that Messi is probably superior but I feel that until they both play under the same circumstances it's probably unfair to judge which is why I'm greatly looking forward to be able to look at it unbiased at the WC.

Also I don't want to leave Ronaldo out of this as I feel he could be getting quite underrated from people on here and could be a better player than the both of them

Riiiight, and Robert Huth is a better defender than Messi, but nobodies touting him as the worlds best. You can still look at the natural ability of a player and see their skill level is visibly better than anothers despite playing slightly different roles.

So you'd prefer the player that must pass the ball because he can't get past players, rather than the guy who can simply skip past players and score himself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Riiiight, and Robert Huth is a better defender than Messi, but nobodies touting him as the worlds best. You can still look at the natural ability of a player and see their skill level is visibly better than anothers despite playing slightly different roles.

So you'd prefer the player that must pass the ball because he can't get past players, rather than the guy who can simply skip past players and score himself?

disingenuous.

Rooney CAN take the ball past players, he just doesn't do it much.

IMO Messi is quicker and a much better dribbler, great close control.

IMO Rooney is a stronger player, tackles better, passes as well as him, better in the air than Messi, positionally more aware in terms of defensive work for his team.

disingenuous.

Rooney CAN take the ball past players, he just doesn't do it much.

IMO Messi is quicker and a much better dribbler, great close control.

IMO Rooney is a stronger player, tackles better, passes as well as him, better in the air than Messi, positionally more aware in terms of defensive work for his team.

Haha, so you're rating on what he can do? Then why doesn't he? So he CAN do what Messi can, just chooses not to? Brilliant. I won't even address the other things you said.

"IMO Messi is quicker and a much better dribbler, great close control." - This means Messi can take it past people where Rooney can't.

• Advertisement

Haha, so you're rating on what he can do? Then why doesn't he? So he CAN do what Messi can, just chooses not to? Brilliant. I won't even address the other things you said.

"IMO Messi is quicker and a much better dribbler, great close control." - This means Messi can take it past people where Rooney can't.

Are you deliberately trying to be stupid?

I didn't say he can do everything messi can do, he can't. Same as messi can't (or doesn't) do everything that Rooney does.

Are you honestly saying you have never seen Rooney take the ball past players? You point seems to be that a player who can take on opponents is automatically a much better player than someone who can't do so to the same extent. A terrible argument. there is more to football than just dribbling. There is more to football than just attacking. You big up Messi's ability to take on players (which he is the best in the world at) yet you have a go at me for pointing out the stuff that Rooney does better than Messi. You are being absolutely pathetic.

I didn't say he can do everything messi can do, he can't. Same as messi can't (or doesn't) do everything that Rooney does.

Are you honestly saying you have never seen Rooney take the ball past players? You point seems to be that a player who can take on opponents is automatically a much better player than someone who can't do so to the same extent. A terrible argument. there is more to football than just dribbling. There is more to football than just attacking. You big up Messi's ability to take on players (which he is the best in the world at) yet you have a go at me for pointing out the stuff that Rooney does better than Messi. You are being absolutely pathetic.

Why mention Rooney CAN take the ball past players when in the next sentence you're saying Messi does it better? Lots of players CAN beat men, but nobody can like Messi.

No actually it's a perfectly valid arguement, you're the pathetic one. The best players in the world are 9 times out of 10 judged for their unique attacking talents, and Messi actually does alot of defensive work anyway, but they ain't judged on donkey work.

If we were going on natural ability then Paul Gascoigne or Dimitar Berbatov would be seen as the best of all time. It was you who said that unless Messi is played in his preferred right wing role that he can't play well as far as I remember in a conversation a couple of weeks ago, well I would regard adaptability as a skill that all top players should have

Why mention Rooney CAN take the ball past players when in the next sentence you're saying Messi does it better? Lots of players CAN beat men, but nobody can like Messi.

No actually it's a perfectly valid arguement, you're the pathetic one. The best players in the world are 9 times out of 10 judged for their unique attacking talents, and Messi actually does alot of defensive work anyway, but they ain't judged on donkey work.

Rooney CAN take the ball past players, just not to the same level Messi can. It isn't that difficult. You said Rooney MUST pass because he can not go past people. this simply isn't true. He can go past people, he DOES go past people, it just isn't the greatest aspect of his game and not something he does all the time. Being poorer than Messi at dribbling does not automatically make a player worse. there are other aspects to the game that are just as important as the ability to go past a player.

Zidane was a fantastic player - because of his vision and balance, passing ability and control. He could go past players, just not to the same level Messi does. Doesn't mean Zidane was a rubbish player in comparison, just a DIFFERENT one.

You know, some people value all round ability as much as being absolutely fantastic at one aspect of the game. The fact Rooney offers so much to the team is a value that should not be lightly dismissed, which is what you are doing.

You going to belittle Fabregas as well? He doesn't go past people for fun. How about Essien? He doesn't go past people for fun. Is Nani a better player than Fabregas cause he is a better dribbler? Is he a better player than Valencia because he is a better dribbler?

Here's me thinking the best players were judged on everything they brought to the table, and not use one aspect of their game.

If we were going on natural ability then Paul Gascoigne or Dimitar Berbatov would be seen as the best of all time. It was you who said that unless Messi is played in his preferred right wing role that he can't play well as far as I remember in a conversation a couple of weeks ago, well I would regard adaptability as a skill that all top players should have

So Berbatov is better than Messi??

I've never said that, I said he's not as effective when played through the middle. Same as any player is not as effective when played out of position.

So Berbatov is better than Messi??

I've never said that, I said he's not as effective when played through the middle. Same as any player is not as effective when played out of position.

when up above you said him and Rooney play slightly different roles and should be judged on that? Honestly, it has to be one or the other. Playing as a lone striker and as a wing forward with 2 other players who have little or no defensive responsibility isn't close to similar imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

The best players in the world are 9 times out of 10 judged for their unique attacking talents

Wrong. The best players are judged on their contribution to the team. Always.

Rooney CAN take the ball past players, just not to the same level Messi can. It isn't that difficult. You said Rooney MUST pass because he can not go past people. this simply isn't true. He can go past people, he DOES go past people, it just isn't the greatest aspect of his game and not something he does all the time. Being poorer than Messi at dribbling does not automatically make a player worse. there are other aspects to the game that are just as important as the ability to go past a player.

Zidane was a fantastic player - because of his vision and balance, passing ability and control. He could go past players, just not to the same level Messi does. Doesn't mean Zidane was a rubbish player in comparison, just a DIFFERENT one.

You know, some people value all round ability as much as being absolutely fantastic at one aspect of the game. The fact Rooney offers so much to the team is a value that should not be lightly dismissed, which is what you are doing.

You going to belittle Fabregas as well? He doesn't go past people for fun. How about Essien? He doesn't go past people for fun. Is Nani a better player than Fabregas cause he is a better dribbler? Is he a better player than Valencia because he is a better dribbler?

Here's me thinking the best players were judged on everything they brought to the table, and not use one aspect of their game.

Yet again, you're arguing moot points. As I said, many players can go past people but nobody can like Messi, so you agree with me. I said you'd prefer the guy who must pass because he can't do what the second guy can and beat the players.

And yes, I would belittle those players in comparison ability-wise to Messi. You're implicitly belittling them by calling someone else the best player in the world, or do you just think all players are great?

Yet again, you're arguing moot points. As I said, many players can go past people but nobody can like Messi, so you agree with me. I said you'd prefer the guy who must pass because he can't do what the second guy can and beat the players.

And yes, I would belittle those players in comparison ability-wise to Messi. You're are implicitly belittling them by calling someone else the best player in the world, or do you just think all players are great?

Ronaldo can go past people like Messi

• Advertisement

when up above you said him and Rooney play slightly different roles and should be judged on that? Honestly, it has to be one or the other. Playing as a lone striker and as a wing forward with 2 other players who have little or no defensive responsibility isn't close to similar imo.

No, I agree best players for there best position. But were trying to determine best, so both players in their best position, who do you think looks the better player?

Also, Rooney wasn't scoring goals when he was played on the left etc..so it applies to all players.

Wrong. The best players are judged on their contribution to the team. Always.

No it's not wrong. Well, it's actually abit of both. Ronaldinho was never interested in defending and was World Player of the year 3 times, go figure.

Ronaldo can go past people like Messi

If that's what you think, fair enough. Not even close for me.

No, I agree best players for there best position. But were trying to determine best, so both players in their best position, who do you think looks the better player?

Also, Rooney wasn't scoring goals when he was played on the left etc..so it applies to all players.

eh, yes he was, he just had Ronaldo there too so was provider and scorer. Rooney scored more than any player in the league in 2009 and he was played on the left for quite a bit of it.

eh, yes he was, he just had Ronaldo there too so was provider and scorer. Rooney scored more than any player in the league in 2009 and he was played on the left for quite a bit of it.

He clearly isn't doing as good as when played centre foward otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Read the figures. 08-09, played oft out on the left, 20 goals in 49 games. This season 33 goals in 39 goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

he scored 12 league goals in the 2008/2009 season.That left him 11th on the list.2009/10 season he has scored 26 and thats a big difference.You cant say he scored as many or was as effective from wide positons.He was as effective as Dirk Kuyt from wide and no where near as good a player as Messi.

Rooney has been really really good this season but Messi imo is playing at a level very few of us have ever seen

• Advertisement

He clearly isn't doing as good as when played centre foward otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Read the figures. 08-09, played oft out on the left, 20 goals in 49 games. This season 33 goals in 39 goals.

I forgot goals were the be all and end all, sorry. He was injured a lot more last season and needed time to get back up to speed. Rooney has never been United's main goalscorer until this season whereas Messi has always been given a lot of creative freedom. You can play wherever you want but if you are restricted by tactics then you wont be as effective.

I forgot goals were the be all and end all, sorry. He was injured a lot more last season and needed time to get back up to speed. Rooney has never been United's main goalscorer until this season whereas Messi has always been given a lot of creative freedom. You can play wherever you want but if you are restricted by tactics then you wont be as effective.

No, goals aren't the be all and end all, but you're only twisting Rooneys nipple 'cause he is scoring goals this season! He would not be mentioned otherwise.

So now your arguement has changed to Rooney has always been restricted by tactics and I'll just fall back to watching both players, who do you think has more natural ability, as for me, it won't really make a difference despite if either of them win the world cup?

Ugh...unsubscribed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

No it's not wrong. Well, it's actually abit of both. Ronaldinho was never interested in defending and was World Player of the year 3 times, go figure.

Ronaldinho didn't win world player of the year 3 times because of his natural ability... he won it 3 times because he was the most important player to a very successful Barcelona team, he scored goals, he set up goals and dragged that team through to the CL. See the difference?

Ronaldinho didn't win world player of the year 3 times because of his natural ability... he won it 3 times because he was the most important player to a very successful Barcelona team, he scored goals, he set up goals and dragged that team through to the CL. See the difference?

I do. I also see the similarities. It was never to do with much of a defensive contribution.

• Advertisement
Advertisement