Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney v Messi

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Up until 3 weeks ago Rooney was having the better season.

Funny how things change so quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

redout wrote: »
    Up until 3 weeks ago Rooney was having the better season.

Funny how things change so quickly.

You are basing this on what ? Facts or random messages on an internet forum ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

d22ontour wrote: »
    Nobody is as good as Messi is, Phact !!!
    He,if he gives us another 6/8 seasons of the same standard will see him regarded as the greatest footballer ever imo.
    Rooney 1 good decent season, regardless of smiley is bull.Rooney isn't and will never be as good technically as the others mentioned but has many other attributes which are just as/if not moreso important to their current teams success.Football isn't just about scoring/assisting goals. ;)

it ****ing is when your a striker for 7 seasons in the premier league, if not your a defender or a midfielder.

Defendering is what the defenders do

Rooney has had one decent goal scoring season, theres no doubting his football ability but just becauses hes english and Sky say he is great doesnt mean he should be compared to Messi or Ronaldo proven footballers at the highest level.

Rooney got 3 vs some turkish team in CL then didnt ****ing score in 3 years after 20 odd games. yeah defintie best player in the world material.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

dreamers75 wrote: »
    LOL

there is honestly no sense in that post, just because people dont like him or the team he plays for doesnt make a player any less of a superstar.

Ronaldo is proven gold in football terms, 24 and won the hardest league in the world once or twice and a CL :rolleyes: but LOL Rooney gets compared to messi after 1 good decent season :D

i love this forum :p

Firstly, did I say I didn't like Ronaldo? or the team he plays for ? Didn't think so.

Secondly, he has won the hardest league on the world once or twice... so what? Does a list of league honours won = best player in the world? According to you fella, certainly not me. Gerrard might mever win a prem. lge. medal, he must be a **** player so:rolleyes:

And LOL Rooney gets compared to messi after 1 good decent season :D I do not think Rooney is as good as Messi, and I think Rooney has had more than one good season.

Players are on different levels with regard to a number of factors -
    skill, runs, speed, agility, goals scored, assists etc. At 22 I believe Messi plays his football at an overall level that is above anyone elses in the world - Ronaldo Rooney... anyone. Try as they might to reach his overall level , I do not think they can, simple as that.
    lol all you want at what I have said, but having read through some of your previous posts... I am fairly chuckling away to myself at the moment!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

No its seems to be Rooney or Messi, people seem to forget the world record transfer lad who is banging them in for the greatest team in the world.

a bit strange tbh Rooney has had 7(liam o will correct me on this:) ) seasons to be this good yet failed 6 times but cos hes english and plays for man utd hes now as good as messi and somehow better than Ronaldo :eek:

hes a decent player who works hard and will create a chance out of nothing or is that the old rooney? the new one seems to be finishing them.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

• Advertisement

You are basing this on what ? Facts or random messages on an internet forum ? :rolleyes:

Watching both week in, week out all season long. We actually talked about this 3 weeks back and if I recall eZe^ was of the same opinion as myself at the time. Now in the time since Messi has gone on a rampage and elevated himself to the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Firstly, did I say I didn't like Ronaldo? or the team he plays for ? Didn't think so.

Secondly, he has won the hardest league on the world once or twice... so what? Does a list of league honours won = best player in the world? According to you fella, certainly not me. Gerrard might mever win a prem. lge. medal, he must be a **** player so:rolleyes:

And LOL Rooney gets compared to messi after 1 good decent season :D I do not think Rooney is as good as Messi, and I think Rooney has had more than one good season.

Players are on different levels with regard to a number of factors -
    skill, runs, speed, agility, goals scored, assists etc. At 22 I believe Messi plays his football at an overall level that is above anyone elses in the world - Ronaldo Rooney... anyone. Try as they might to reach his overall level , I do not think they can, simple as that.
    lol all you want at what I have said, but having read through some of your previous posts... I am fairly chuckling away to myself at the moment!! :)

Gerrard wont win anything as he is an average midfielder.

I do believe that inspiring a team to win something counts on your football CV, Ronaldo and Messi can/have and will do that. i dont beleive in your factors i believe good players are good players and comparing someone having a good season to another who has lots of them is funny.

Sorry did not bother reading your other posts but FYI when your are quoted its generally the 1st line that is a direct response to yours any spaces or lines after it are in repsonse to the orignal thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Liam O wrote: »
    I suppose but the assist stats in football don't really appeal much to me because a player e.g. Xavi could player a brilliant through ball that gets Messi and Ibra for example clear of the defense. Messi then plays an easy 2 yard pass and Ibra gets a tap in. I would class Xavi as setting up that goal but Messi would get the assist. If it's a good cross and it's headed in then fair enough but the assist stats can be kind of boosted in ways like that.

The point is that Messi is equally capable of threading that pass a la Xavi that you refer to, providing the goal on a plate for a team mate, scoring a tap in, running half the length of the pitch beating five men to score, score from distance with either foot, even score with his head. He's an amazing all rounder and a better player than Ronaldo IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i just don't get the need to get defensive of Rooney, or even Ronaldo.

they're both magnificent.

it's not their fault that Messi is a once in a lifetime talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

SlickRic wrote: »
    i just don't get the need to get defensive of Rooney, or even Ronaldo.

they're both magnificent.

it's not their fault that Messi is a once in a lifetime talent.

I can't see why anyone wouldn't think Rooney and Ronaldo aren't once in a lifetime talents either. In the recent past Zidane is the only player id mention in the same breath of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Maradonna is probably the most gifted individual to ever have a ball at his feet. Messi is on his way to that standard.

Rooney is a fantastic player.. way better that I gave him credit for. Powerful.. pacy clever.

he does not fall into the above category. neither does ronaldo.. gerrard lampard Torres, scholes.. giggs ..henry sheva.. They are in a secondary league

redout wrote: »
    Watching both week in, week out all season long. We actually talked about this 3 weeks back and if I recall eZe^ was of the same opinion as myself at the time. Now in the time since Messi has gone on a rampage and elevated himself to the top.

So 2 Barca fans thought this, why ? Infact if anyone say past any fans hometown love, why would you have thought Rooney was better this season until 3 weeks ago ? 2 different players who both offer different things.As i said Messi is the best player around atm but all players have their flaws too.Rooneys was he didn't score enough.There isn't a forward who possesses what Rooney can offer,goals come from strikers, Rooney isn't nor will ever be a striker...

I do believe that inspiring a team to win something counts on your football CV,

Rooney is inspirational. :p

Maradonna is probably the most gifted individual to ever have a ball at his feet.

You are basing this on a 4/5 year period yes ?Infact most of us only know a 3/4 year period of his career...Greatest ever but we only know a few years lol. :rolleyes:
    Ronaldinho is if not more gifted for such a timeframe, no ?Infact he might have stretched it out for a few more years if he wasn't at such poor clubs, discipline wise ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

You are basing this on a 4/5 year period yes ?Infact most of us only know a 3/4 year period of his career...Greatest ever but we only know a few years lol. :rolleyes:
    Ronaldinho is if not more gifted for such a timeframe, no ?Infact he might have stretched it out for a few more years if he wasn't at such poor clubs, discipline wise ?

Diego was head and shoulders above anyone back in the 80s and early 90s, when the game was much more brutal it could be said, (you probably havent seen this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8_JYHtvTS8, or this....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEeMSBy8EW0)

3/4 year period...:rolleyes: should get some old vhs tapes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Personally I think both Messi and Ronaldo are equally outstanding. Messi is in some form. Ronaldo was in some form 2 years ago. Ronaldo will equal that form again. Right now, he is dragging Madrid to the league. He's scored 11 goals in his last 10 games. While Messi has beaten that, its just the form he is in.

This season, Ronaldo has played 19 scored 17 in the league, Messi has played 25 scored 25.

I'd point out that Messi is much more prone to scoring a hattrick then not scoring, compared to Ronaldo who will consistantly score in pretty much every game.

For people who are dismissing Ronaldo as of a lower standard, at the age of 23 he played in 31 league games and scored 31 league goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Goikoetxea was a mad man back in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

PHB, would you agree that Messi offers a lot more to a teams general play than Ronaldo does?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Mr Alan wrote: »
    PHB, would you agree that Messi offers a lot more to a teams general play than Ronaldo does?

I'd agree with that at the moment. Messi plays in his best position in a system that's set up for him and all the cogs in the system are performing the right role.
    Real Madrid are much less fluid and their system doesn't work that well yet. They are much more brute force than anything else. As such, he can't offer as much.

Ronaldo at United, combining with Rooney and others, offered just as much in general play (in possession) than Messi does. His interplay and passing was outstanding, his crossing was outstanding, and of course, his goal scoring was outstanding. His dribbling and unreal pace streaches teams giving others space and his double and treble marking gives others space. He offers an awful lot in terms of creativity too, its just he's not playing in the right system for him atm. Once they get it right at Madrid, and I'm not sure they will personally, I think he'll beat Messi in terms of goals and assist personally. I think La Liga is easier to score in and I think Messi's stats in the past years are less impressive. I also think if he had not been injuried he'd be ahead of Messi in goals and assists personally.

So 2 Barca fans thought this, why ? Infact if anyone say past any fans hometown love, why would you have thought Rooney was better this season until 3 weeks ago ? 2 different players who both offer different things.As i said Messi is the best player around atm but all players have their flaws too.Rooneys was he didn't score enough.There isn't a forward who possesses what Rooney can offer,goals come from strikers, Rooney isn't nor will ever be a striker...

The opinion expressed at the time was based on him being the more consistant player over the course of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Loved this, instead of being compared to Maradonna, he said;

"Even after millions of years pass, I will not be even close to Maradona. And I do not want to approach him. He is the greatest of all time,"

:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

eZe^ wrote: »
    Loved this, instead of being compared to Maradonna, he said;

"Even after millions of years pass, I will not be even close to Maradona. And I do not want to approach him. He is the greatest of all time,"

:D

I'm guessing Ronaldo didn't say this:) not that it would make him a better player if he did of course:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I'm guessing Ronaldo didn't say this:) not that it would make him a better player if he did of course:rolleyes:

I've no idea what Ronaldo said, doesn't really matter either. I just liked seeing Messi idolizing someone, considering he could go on to be an icon for kids growing up now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I wouldn't have ronaldo anywhere near Messi in terms of ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

greetings wrote: »

Well you are very wrong imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Completely agree. He's Cristiano Ronaldo btw, never be Ronaldo to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

They are just very different players. I agree Messi is better, but Cristiano Ronaldo is a great player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Liam O wrote: »
    Well you are very wrong imo.

no he's very much correct imo and anyone who knows ought about football,cr doesn't even compare even when he was havin that dream season with man u

They are just very different players. I agree Messi is better, but Cristiano Ronaldo is a great player.

i think most will realize they're different players,but in terms of skil,balance,natural ability,agility and finishing(to name a few) Messi is out there on his own.
    no fancy ****t either,no diving,no mouthing,no bs,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

PHB wrote: »
    Personally I think both Messi and Ronaldo are equally outstanding. Messi is in some form. Ronaldo was in some form 2 years ago. Ronaldo will equal that form again. Right now, he is dragging Madrid to the league. He's scored 11 goals in his last 10 games. While Messi has beaten that, its just the form he is in.

This season, Ronaldo has played 19 scored 17 in the league, Messi has played 25 scored 25.

I'd point out that Messi is much more prone to scoring a hattrick then not scoring, compared to Ronaldo who will consistantly score in pretty much every game.

For people who are dismissing Ronaldo as of a lower standard, at the age of 23 he played in 31 league games and scored 31 league goals.

That's simply not true. He is playing very well in a side that is playing very well. Madrid are playing much better than Barcelona at the moment and it's pretty much all down to Messi that Barca are top with an extra game played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    That's simply not true. He is playing very well in a side that is playing very well. Madrid are playing much better than Barcelona at the moment and it's pretty much all down to Messi that Barca are top with an extra game played.

As well as the fact Higuain has more goals than CRonaldo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

heavyballs wrote: »
    no diving,no mouthing,no bs,

Watch him more. What you've just said is nothing but a complete myth. If things aren't going his way, he's just as big a whinger as anyone.

And this nonsense that Messi's "miles" better than C.Ronaldo is ridiculous. I agree he's better alright but Jesus Christ let's not talk absolute nonsense by saying he's so far ahead.

Messi isn't in a league of his own. He's better than everyone else, but not by as much as some people here seem to suggest.
    JPA wrote: »
    As well as the fact Higuain has more goals than CRonaldo.
    Eto'o had more league goals than Messi last season, what's your point?

Also, Ronaldo's been injured for some of this season.

And even at that, both have 24 goals in all competitions, with Higuain playing 4 games more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

andyman wrote: »
    Watch him more. What you've just said is nothing but a complete myth. If things aren't going his way, he's just as big a whinger as anyone.

And this nonsense that Messi's "miles" better than C.Ronaldo is ridiculous. I agree he's better alright but Jesus Christ let's not talk absolute nonsense by saying he's so far ahead.

Messi isn't in a league of his own. He's better than everyone else, but not by as much as some people here seem to suggest.

Eto'o had more league goals than Messi last season, what's your point?

Also, Ronaldo's been injured for some of this season.

And even at that, both have 24 goals in all competitions, with Higuain playing 4 games more.

I think his point is that Ronaldo is not dragging Real Madrid kicking and screaming to a title win. Just like Messi didn't drag Barcelona to a title last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    I think his point is that Ronaldo is not dragging Real Madrid kicking and screaming to a title win. Just like Messi didn't drag Barcelona to a title last season.

Ah fair enough. Although I wouldn't suggest that Messi's a one man team for Barcelona this season either. I want to retract what I said about Messi being better than everyone else, was heat of the moment when people were stupidly suggesting he's miles better than everyone else. I personally think Iniesta's the best player on the planet at the moment. Himself and Xavi make almost everything happen for Barcelona. Take them out of the side and they're half the team than they are when the pair of them are in the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

heavyballs wrote: »
    no he's very much correct imo and anyone who knows ought about football,cr doesn't even compare even when he was havin that dream season with man u

haha

and then you go and say that Messi never cheats...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Messi is Pele.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Messi is Pele.

Messi is Messi.

that is enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

ziggy wrote: »

With Rooney injured it can hardly be can it?

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

PHB wrote: »
    I'd agree with that at the moment. Messi plays in his best position in a system that's set up for him and all the cogs in the system are performing the right role.
    Real Madrid are much less fluid and their system doesn't work that well yet. They are much more brute force than anything else. As such, he can't offer as much.

Ronaldo at United, combining with Rooney and others, offered just as much in general play (in possession) than Messi does. His interplay and passing was outstanding, his crossing was outstanding, and of course, his goal scoring was outstanding. His dribbling and unreal pace streaches teams giving others space and his double and treble marking gives others space. He offers an awful lot in terms of creativity too, its just he's not playing in the right system for him atm. Once they get it right at Madrid, and I'm not sure they will personally, I think he'll beat Messi in terms of goals and assist personally. I think La Liga is easier to score in and I think Messi's stats in the past years are less impressive. I also think if he had not been injuried he'd be ahead of Messi in goals and assists personally.

you think messi's stats in previous years are less impressive.At 22 years old his career stats are:
    Played-204
    Goals-119
    Assists-48
    Im sorry but there is nothing less than impressive about those.

I agree that C.Ronaldo has been exceptional but Madrid are not Zaragoza,its a 2 team league and he has been the second best player on that team behind Higuain.What exaxctly are they getting wrong league wise at Madrid?He is the fulcrum of a team that has a 50/50 chance of winning the league and so is messi,messi just happens to be performing better.

Oh and Messi doesnt seem to be a tool so that swings it for him:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

And this nonsense that Messi's "miles" better than C.Ronaldo is ridiculous.

Slice of humble pie anyone? :D

well go on admit you were wrong,if ya have the balls

I personally think Iniesta's the best player on the planet at the moment.

well there's only really 2 reasons why you would make such a comment
    1.You know absolutely nothing about football,somebody bought you a Barcelona jersey with Iniesta's name on back and you think he's the best(btw you're approx 13 years of age)
    2.He's a close relation of yours in which case i understand why you would make such a comment

you made a point also that Iniesta and Xavi were huge factors in why Mesi is so effective as they do the hard work,in the last month this theory has been blown out of the water,the chap is creating goals from nothing on his own most of the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Not sure if the comparisons are really fair. Two different players tbh. Rooney playing some great football but Messi just from another planet at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Not sure if the comparisons are really fair. Two different players tbh. Rooney playing some great football but Messi just from another planet at the moment.

It's true they are different players but you can still think one would contribute more than the other and that player for me is undoubtedly Messi. If I was a manager I would rather have Messi in my team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

I have unlimited man love for Rooney but Messi is by far the best player in the world and more than likely will prove himself to be the best player of all time. His vision, weight of pass, dribbling, eye for goal and ability to prove himself so consistantly says it all really.

not to sound pompous, and i know i started this, but the answer is obvious really...

Rooney is a brilliant player, but Messi is a genius.

this is no slight on Rooney; none at all. players come along every so often that completely and utterly break the mould, and Messi is one of them.

there is no shame in saying you aren't as good as Messi. none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

What makes Rooney such an 'effective' player is his work rate...he makes up for the lack of flair and pure ability with his work ethic, commitment and sheer power.

Very differet animal to Messi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

SlickRic wrote: »

there is no shame in saying you aren't as good as Messi. none.

Although you would have to be nuts to say you were as good as him :D

What an unbelievable pleasure to watch him in action, I would nearly go to Barcalona just to catch him at a game......

• Advertisement
Advertisement