Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney v Messi

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

What makes Rooney such an 'effective' player is his work rate...he makes up for the lack of flair and pure ability with his work ethic, commitment and sheer power.

Very differet animal to Messi

Messi has the same work ethic and commitment, just maybe not quite the sheer brute force.

he is just better.

Rooney is a different animal, but a weaker animal.

in the words of Barcelona's own Xavi...'if people cannot see it, then they are blind'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

What makes Rooney such an 'effective' player is his work rate...he makes up for the lack of flair and pure ability with his work ethic, commitment and sheer power.

Very differet animal to Messi

Thats plain wrong. Messis application is is as good as anyones. He will always track back, he will always forage in midfield, he will always try to get the ball back immediatly after losing it.

He might have faults, but if you are to pick them out, at least try and be correct about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

gimmick wrote: »
    Thats plain wrong. Messis application is is as good as anyones. He will always track back, he will always forage in midfield, he will always try to get the ball back immediatly after losing it.

He might have faults, but if you are to pick them out, at least try and be correct about them.

You have misunderstood my point.

What I was saying was that those qualites (work rate, commitment) make Rooney such a good player as opposed to his fantastic natural abilty. It wasnt any reflection on Messi.

Messi has those qualities in abundance and then the fantastic ability to go with it which is what makes him the all round better player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ Ah, fair point then. I apologise :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

You have misunderstood my point.

What I was saying was that those qualites (work rate, commitment) make Rooney such a good player as opposed to his fantastic natural abilty. It wasnt any reflection on Messi.

Messi has those qualities in abundance and then the fantastic ability to go with it which is what makes him the all round better player.

Great post.

Great post.

Not sure are you pulling the piss....:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Not sure are you pulling the piss....:(

I'm not. I totally agree with the last part of your post in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

This should really be two threads.

The first: Rooney v Torres v Drogba. They're in the same league, they have similar scoring records and are probably comparable.

The second should just be posting of Messi youtube clips. People harp on about him far too much when it's way more fun watching over and over.

I mean forget about the dribbling for a minute - just look at how he hits this.

Another thing I like about Messi is that you never see him bitching to the ref...

Slightly off point, and it pains me to say it but....he is possibly turning out to be a better player than Maradona at 22 but he has a long way to go yet.

I am old enough to have watched Maradona at his peak...:o

Remember Maradona peaked from the age of 25-30...Messi is 23 this year.
    Messi doesnt control midlfield or the game like Maradona and his set piece play is non existant...but he is young.

Combine Messi with a Zidane or Xavi and you have Maradona.

Sorry for digression...getting all misty eyed and choking up here...:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Messi doesnt control midlfield or the game like Maradona and his set piece play is non existant...but he is young.

Messi scores his share of free kicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

gosplan wrote: »
    This should really be two threads.

The first: Rooney v Torres v Drogba. They're in the same league, they have similar scoring records and are probably comparable.

Exactly. Rooney has been in great form...the form of his life. But I genuinely believe he is a bracket below Messi. Hes up there with Torres and Drogba. People seem to forgot about Torres because hes been injured. Despite his injuries he has a similiar games to games ratio (possible even better?) than Rooney this season. Drogba has had the distraction of the ACN but is still banging them in.

Messi is a level above them all, the only one who can challenge him is Ronaldo. I would much rather Messi in my team though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Isn't it sort of silly to compare two players who play in different positions for their respective clubs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Isn't it sort of silly to compare two players who play in different positions for their respective clubs?

How dare you try to make some sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

From what i can see this thread was about who is the best player in the world and the only silly posts i have seen are from those who actually think Rooney is better than Messi, now that is silly.

Warper wrote: »
    From what i can see this thread was about who is the best player in the world and the only silly posts i have seen are from those who actually think Rooney is better than Messi, now that is silly.

It depends on the parameters. Even so, I still think from the off it's a silly comparison to make, this childish playground stuff that goes on. It's hard to plausibly make comparisons between players in isolation. Even this cross-generational stuff is annoying, ie Maradona v Messi. Does it really matter?!

• Advertisement

It depends on the parameters. Even so, I still think from the off it's a silly comparison to make, this childish playground stuff that goes on. It's hard to plausibly make comparisons between players in isolation. Even this cross-generational stuff is annoying, ie Maradona v Messi. Does it really matter?!

Doesnt matter one bit....but we are bored and it passes the time..:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Why are you on this thread so - would it pain you that much to admit that Messi is the best player in the world. Go on, it will do you good - Messi is the best player and Barcelona are the best team. Life is good and football is rewarding brilliance.

Warper wrote: »
    Why are you on this thread so - would it pain you that much to admit that Messi is the best player in the world. Go on, it will do you good - Messi is the best player and Barcelona are the best team. Life is good and football is rewarding brilliance.

No, it wouldn't. He is. I just find the comparison stuff very churlish. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

andyman wrote: »
    I personally think Iniesta's the best player on the planet at the moment. Himself and Xavi make almost everything happen for Barcelona. Take them out of the side and they're half the team than they are when the pair of them are in the side.

No Iniesta last night and he scored 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

andyman wrote: »
    I personally think Iniesta's the best player on the planet at the moment. Himself and Xavi make almost everything happen for Barcelona. Take them out of the side and they're half the team than they are when the pair of them are in the side.

You're close but the answer is Xavi. You take Iniesta out of the team (we've seen it recently, and plus he's been out of form) and Barcelona can survive. You take Xavi out of the team and it's a completely different story.

• Advertisement
Advertisement