Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Eircom Bband 24meg - Worth Getting?

• 14-03-2010 8:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've been an eircom customer for the last 10 years now, started out with their 512mb package and now i'm on there 7.6mb line.

I know they've been crap for the last few months, but apart from that ive never had any problems over the last 10 years with them, and i always get the full 7.6mp out of my line 90% of the time.

I've given up waiting for ntl to get bband in my area, im in rathmines and it shows up as available, but i rang on sat and they told me it wont be ready for another 3-6 months.

Now i'm thinking, screw that, i'll just switch to the 24mb from eircom. Has anyone here switched over to it yet and how long does it take? Do they give you a new modem or what or do they just upgrade your line on there end?

If anyone has it, could they let me know how they're getting on with it.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You really need to have a look at your line stats to see if such an upgrade is worthwhile before you make any decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭stoksyXL

Well as i said, i am quite close to an exchange so always get nearly maximum speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

What Dub45 said, you need to check your line stats, being close to the exchange may not mean your cable travels a short distance, it could be covering a fair distance before reaching your door.

Ok, get what your saying, how do i go about checking my line stats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

type this into your webpage

http://192.168.1.254

that takes you to your router page where you'll get the information you need.
    Think it's under statistics or something. Do not change anything within this page unless you know what you're doing.
    Also you'll need the admin password for the router if you set one up originally.

• Advertisement

DSL Statistics

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 7616 672
    SN Margin (dB) 10.60 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 15.50 9.00
    CRC Errors 0 0

Is that what your after??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Simi

stoksyXL wrote: »
    DSL Statistics

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 7616 672
    SN Margin (dB) 10.60 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 15.50 9.00
    CRC Errors 0 0

Is that what your after??

Nice line!
    With those stats you should easily get 20+Mbps on an ADSL 2+ enabled exchange.
    Using a calc like this, will give you some idea of what you can expect.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Simi wrote: »
    Nice line!
    With those stats you should easily get 20+Mbps on an ADSL 2+ enabled exchange.
    Using a calc like this, will give you some idea of what you can expect.

Just a warning your snr seems quite low - increasing the speed puts a lot of pressure on snr and once you go below 10 in my experience you can get disconnects. I am on Smart by the way. Whats your internal wiring like?

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Dont forget that eircom will 'profile' a line to stabilise it and this means they will actually give an up to 12mbit OR an up to 17 mbit line when you upgrade.

Once you know what profile they throttle you at.....and if that profile proves stable...then ring BB Tech support and ask for a 20mbiit or 24mbit profile .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

SNR calculations are not a reliable guide of expected speeds when going from ADSL1/ADSL2 at maximum speed, to ADSL2+. I explained this in another thread. A line with 15 dB should expect a decent speed increase, certainly above 13 mbps even if the signal margin is at 10dB on the older package. Eircoms profiling may be arbitrary as Sponge Bob pointed out, so call eircom to ensure that the max speed is being received.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭grumpygit

I got the 24 meg package, they gave me 17 and i currently test at anything between 9.5 and 14.5..For ordinary browsing I don't find it that much quicker than when I had 7 for downloading files it would be that much quicker ok. For the extra 2 euro per week I suppose its worth it
    See my current stats below just tried my speed on speedtest,net and it gave me 13.72. As you can see from my stats my s/n margin not too good but not experiencing failures...yet

DownstreamUpstreamMax Allowed Speed (kbps)17349/765
    SN Margin (dB)6.00 18.90
    Line Attenuation (dB)21.90 10.40
    CRC Errors 00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Be VERY careful with the 24MB package. I am also on the 7.6Mb but its down to contention ratios. The 24Mb package has a contention of 48 people which means the theoretical minimum speed is 24/48 or 0.5Mb. I have the 7.6Mb package but my contention is 12 people so my theoretical minimum is 7.6/12 or 0.63Mb. I would be worse off on the 24Mb package at peak times which is when I use it most.

Ring Eircom and find out what your current contention is. If its 24 people then its worth upgrading if its 12 then stay put for now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

kmick wrote: »
    Ring Eircom and find out what your current contention is. If its 24 people then its worth upgrading if its 12 then stay put for now.

If you are on 7m it is 48:1, if you are on 7.6mb it is 12:1

Yes, the residential 24mb product is 48:1

BTW it looks like the Eircom 8mb/800kb, 12/1mb, 12/2mb and 24/1mb business products are all 12:1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

bk wrote: »
    If you are on 7m it is 48:1, if you are on 7.6mb it is 12:1

Yes, the residential 24mb product is 48:1

BTW it looks like the Eircom 8mb/800kb, 12/1mb, 12/2mb and 24/1mb business products are all 12:1

Well if that info is correct I would stick with 7.6mb for now.

Advertisement