Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

foreign car, tax etc.

• 14-03-2010 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    My brother has a car registered, taxed and insured in england. He is in ireland now with work and wont be using the car so he said i can have it for a couple of months so i can learn to drive on it.

My questions are

1. does it need to be taxed here again?
    2. could i be a named driver on his insurance or do i need to take out my own policy?

basically i want to know what must be done so i can drive it here?

any help anpreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

You will have to pay VRT. It will need to be taxed. I don't believe you can be named on his out of state insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Johnny86

nipplenuts wrote: »
    You will have to pay VRT. It will need to be taxed. I don't believe you can be named on his out of state insurance.

with regards vrt..the car will only be here for like 2 months then its going back to the uk and my brother using it there again..is there not some kind of tourist thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I dont know about insurance but the car must be cleared immediatley. Your brother can do this for no cost as long the car is registered in his name for a year in the uk.

SARASON wrote: »
    I dont know about insurance but the car must be cleared immediatley. Your brother can do this for no cost as long the car is registered in his name for a year in the uk.

my brother will still own the car and be using it the odd time here too..yeah it would have been registered in his name for a few years now...i kinda guessed id have to take out my own policy and get 3months of tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

As an Irish resident you are not permitted to use a UK registered car here.

• Advertisement

You will theres nothing easy in this life:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

if the car is temporary in Ireland, no need change the plates and register, you need insurance as a named driver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Some incorrect advice here, beware.
    corktina wrote: »

+1

This is correct.

really, thats a balls...like can nobody drive my brothers car so when he is back here on holidays

you must have insurance in your name, and can somebody explain how you can register your brothers ( neighbors, friends ... ) car ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you could drive around in a borrowed UK car everyone would doing it.
    Only UK residents can drive UK cars, sucks but there you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Johnny86 wrote: »
    really, thats a balls...like can nobody drive my brothers car so when he is back here on holidays

if they are an irish resident, no they can't

is your brother irish resident OP ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

if the car is going back to the uk, it'd be a good idea to have proof of the return journey in the car all the time.
    was stopped by the guards when i was home on holidays last year and they told me that if i'm back for more than 3 days that i have to inform customs, which i thought was a bit bizarre.
    i think the tourist thing that you mention is the insurance green card which will cover your brother for up to 90 days in the EU

if the car is going back to the uk, it'd be a good idea to have proof of the return journey in the car all the time.
    was stopped by the guards when i was home on holidays last year and they told me that if i'm back for more than 3 days that i have to inform customs, which i thought was a bit bizarre.
    i think the tourist thing that you mention is the insurance green card which will cover your brother for up to 90 days in the EU

green card must cover longer then 90 days, just check with insurance company, might pay few quids extra

rai555 wrote: »
    is your brother irish resident OP ?

well in the first post it said he was here for work now and wouldnt be using the car for a couple of months, so yes i guess he is and should re-register the car. OP could THEN drive it.

well he is irish and has been living in london for about 3-4 years now.
    see gettin it registered here for 2 months seems pointless when he is just going to have to register it again when he goes back to the uk..presumably he'd have to get irish insurance then too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Unless you're Polish/Latvian/Lithuanian in which case you're young, residentially mobile, and hard to nail down, and can drive with impunity here for years.

edit: An Irish "resident" being relatively easy to trace, is an easier target for the Customs, and as such, you won't get away with it.

im just tryin to do it legal so by the sounds of it

1. he would have to get it registered in ireland (which would cost nothing, bar the cost of the plates and admin fee presumably)
    2. he would have to get insurance in ireland (and id prob be a named driver then)
    3. we have to get it taxed

have i missed anything

im just tryin to do it legal so by the sounds of it

1. he would have to get it registered in ireland (which would cost nothing, bar the cost of the plates and admin fee presumably)
    2. he would have to get insurance in ireland (and id prob be a named driver then)
    3. we have to get it taxed

have i missed anything

yup NCT

• Advertisement

when we say you arent permitted, dont take that as noone ever does it.

Theres an Avensis drives round my home town on UK plates thats been here at least two years and if you look it up on the DVLA site its been untaxed for over a year in the UK, its not just the poles /lats etc that do it. If Ive spotted it, how come the Gards havent?

yup NCT

and NCT...phew, i thought this was gonna be awkward...so i guess it will take about 2 months to get all that stuff done and then time for the car to go back :)

when we say you arent permitted, dont take that as noone ever does it.

Theres an Avensis drives round my home town on UK plates thats been here at least two years and if you look it up on the DVLA site its been untaxed for over a year in the UK, its not just the poles /lats etc that do it. If Ive spotted it, how come the Gards havent?

There too busy in the daily grind any time i see them:D:D

you are so right...and illegally parked on the roundabout whilst in there too:D

to get insurance for 2 months ? i believe he's a tourist here :) and can drive his car, somebody has to be named driver or have own insurance permitting drive other cars

He can be a tourist for two months no problem Id say (he would be advised to carry some proof that he is only home temporary not forgetting that he is working so he isnt really a tourist is he?).The problem is the OP is an Irish Resident and not permitted to drive a UK car.

He could move to duhallow either in north cork and do none of the above:D:D. Tis lovley down here boy;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

It's not the only place either ;)

He can be a tourist for two months no problem Id say (he would be advised to carry some proof that he is only home temporary not forgetting that he is working so he isnt really a tourist is he?).The problem is the OP is an Irish Resident and not permitted to drive a UK car.

about the residency :
    http://www.vrt.ie/vrtDetail.php?page=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

Johnny>>> I dont know how the system works with Irish residents not being able to drive UK cars but I was thinking sort of the other way around, what if you took up temporary residency in your brothers in the UK for a couple of months and he put you as named driver? Maybe it is not that simple but in my mind it works beautifully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

swe_fi wrote: »
    Johnny>>> I dont know how the system works with Irish residents not being able to drive UK cars but I was thinking sort of the other way around, what if you took up temporary residency in your brothers in the UK for a couple of months and he put you as named driver? Maybe it is not that simple but in my mind it works beautifully.
    ...and be able to prove to Customs that you are resident in the UK.....

It just isn't worth the risk, OP.

Not your ornery onager

thanks for the help guys...ill try and make a couple of calls today..might just buy the car off him after he registers it in ireland, think he is looking to sell it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

thanks for the help guys...ill try and make a couple of calls today..might just buy the car off him after he registers it in ireland, think he is looking to sell it

unfortunately he won't be allowed to sell it for a year if he registers it here, although you'll have no problem driving it then.

Advertisement