Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cars set on fire in Celbridge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Christ thats sickening... I hope one of the car owners catches the little scumbags before the guards do, because only then will they get the justice they truely deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 resident1

I know, I wouldn't mind watching them get a good thumping. But I think making them clean out backed up sewage pipes, in just shorts and vest,barefoot and with no gloves, would be better!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

they need to be banged up . Im sure giving them a hiding is good short term but i dont think its your car you will have to worry about going up in flames more your house with you in it ,

Very true, but that's why they get away with it, even the garda will tell you not to draw attention to yourself, but why should we feel like sitting ducks!

6 months of CCTV in the walled gardens would help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

I think I know who owns the xsara.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

We looked at the house thats for sale beside the current two burnt out cars... glad we didn't buy now. Worrying trend anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 JeremyJ

The residents in the Walled Gardens have a fairly good idea who is responsible, but as some people posted already, they are afraid their houses could go up next. The arson on saturday was witnessed and the culprit should know this. We know who he is and where he lives and he was identified by witnesses the next day when he stupidly returned to the scene of his handiwork with his mates.

What does it take to sort the little shXt out? I'm not prepared to put up with this any longer. Obviously, you can't name him here,but does he live in The Walled Gardens?

• Advertisement

He does live in the Walled Gardens. What worries me is the cars set on fire on Saturday (and the one earlier this year) were all owned by foreign people who are very intimidated by this. There were also a lot of windows put in a few months back, all owned by foreigners, one couple has since moved out. Its not the kind of thing we want for our estate, these people are just minding their own business and being victimized by scumbags for no reason. The sergeant dealing with the arson on saturday it is John Hickey. He is a Celbridge man and is taking it seriously.

By the way...I heard fire brigade sirens and what sounded like an explosion last night. Did anyone else hear it? Sounded suspiciously like a petrol tank going off. Maybe Im getting paranoid at this stage, the place feels like West Beirut at the moment.

JeremyJ wrote: »
    By the way...I heard fire brigade sirens and what sounded like an explosion last night. Did anyone else hear it? Sounded suspiciously like a petrol tank going off. Maybe Im getting paranoid at this stage, the place feels like West Beirut at the moment.

Where was this ? I heard sirens, but I'm all the way down in the grove.

Walled Gardnes, sounded pretty close.

What age is this loser? This should never be allowed to happen again. He should be watched by un-uniformed garda for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Gregsor

JDfan wrote: »
    Most likely the Dubs doing this :D
    :rolleyes:

You can't pass off your idiot scumbags on another county this time,you's can keep them.

Racist seems to be more than the word to sum it all up.

Not a nice thing to have on your doorstep,and such a nice place too,i was only up there a few weeks ago with Wize;),i hope it sorted soon for the residents sake,any residents meetings held etc?

The guards have been tipped off as to who is doing it. This loser is old enough to know better and could hardly be classified as a kid anymore. There were two witnesses who saw him torch the second car, one got a good look at him, the other couldn't say for sure who it was. Ive been on the Castletown Residents Website and there doesn't seem to be any meetings scheduled but if we all email them, raising this concern we might be able to get an EGM in order to tackle this issue directly.

http://www.castletownresidentsassociation.com/5.html

There will be a petition going round shortly to get the laneway closed off just opposite where the cars were burned. This lane is used a lot for drug use and antisocial behaviour. There will probably be a bit of resistance because the people in the cul de sac will have to walk a bit further to get out to the maynooth road but in the interests of a quieter estate its better if we try to get rid of congregation points for these headcases. Anybody else agree?

I sent an email about the burnt cars

The gardai will probably say they can't do anything untill they catch him in the act. As for closing the laneway off, that's very unfair to the residents,and other normal people,although I'm sure the people living beside it would agree to it.The lamp in that lane doesn't come on at night,maybe that should be fixed first.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

These cars are right outside my house. have to be honest, dont feel safe there at all and dont like leaving the car in the drive. Unfortunately, we have no option but to do that. One of the cars has been moved though. but it's still horrible to look out your window and thats the scenic view we now get :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Regrading the lane closing,in the 90's we had a similar problem with the alley ways throughout the housing estate,the residents got the council to put up gates and each resident of the row involved were issued with keys.

While the gates looked unsightly to begin with it the dividends that paid off were well received and the loiters all moved on after years of trouble :cool:.

I suppose we will see what happens this weekend

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Gregsor wrote: »
    Regrading the lane closing,in the 90's we had a similar problem with the alley ways throughout the housing estate,the residents got the council to put up gates and each resident of the row involved were issued with keys.

While the gates looked unsightly to begin with it the dividends that paid off were well received and the loiters all moved on after years of trouble .

When was this because living relativley close to the alley in the walled gardens, and having moved into the house in 1993, I certaintly do not remember this at all :confused:

ChewChew wrote: »
    When was this because living relativley close to the alley in the walled gardens, and having moved into the house in 1993, I certaintly do not remember this at all :confused:

He Talking about where he live . Hes not from the Walled Gardens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

JeremyJ wrote: »
    The guards have been tipped off as to who is doing it. This loser is old enough to know better and could hardly be classified as a kid anymore. There were two witnesses who saw him torch the second car, one got a good look at him, the other couldn't say for sure who it was. Ive been on the Castletown Residents Website and there doesn't seem to be any meetings scheduled but if we all email them, raising this concern we might be able to get an EGM in order to tackle this issue directly.

http://www.castletownresidentsassociation.com/5.html

There will be a petition going round shortly to get the laneway closed off just opposite where the cars were burned. This lane is used a lot for drug use and antisocial behaviour. There will probably be a bit of resistance because the people in the cul de sac will have to walk a bit further to get out to the maynooth road but in the interests of a quieter estate its better if we try to get rid of congregation points for these headcases. Anybody else agree?

The laneway is an important pedestrian access route to the Maynooth Road exit of the estate, not only for one cul-de-sac, but also for a large section of The Walled Gardens. Closing it off is NOT an option. The anti-social behaviour would simply move to the Orchard Walk and the few open spaces left. The next thing you know is that there would be calls to close off the Orchard Walk and the Hole in the Wall, causing further distress to pedestrians trying to get to work and school on time etc.

The lamp in the laneway needs to be fixed, and CCTV cameras put in place in areas where there is anti-social behaviour. The only thing that will stamp out this debauched behaviour is strong local vigilance and parental control, in conjunction with regular involvement of the gardai.

The laneway has nothing to do with the burnt out cars and closing it off would definitely NOT solve the problem, as there are several other routes within the estate through which the perpetrators arrive at this spot. The last burnt out car on this stretch of road was closer to the T-junction at the other end, and the one before that was next to the woods.

I wouldn't bother getting the Castletown Residents Association involved, as none of them live in this area, and they have their own interests at heart, as they have shown in the last EGM. Their interference would only cause further problems.

JeremyJ, I fully appreciate your efforts in trying to solve this problem, but you need to think very carefully about what you are proposing. I am prepared to offer my assistance in any reasonable suggestions, but denying residents this access route will only alienate the majority of people who have used this exit for many years. This is a situation where residents need to pull together and not become divided by a wrong- headed solution. We all suffer from the anti-social behaviour. Please don't make it worse with a punish-all solution which could end up in court!
    resident1 wrote: »
    The gardai will probably say they can't do anything untill they catch him in the act. As for closing the laneway off, that's very unfair to the residents,and other normal people,although I'm sure the people living beside it would agree to it.The lamp in that lane doesn't come on at night,maybe that should be fixed first.

There may already be enough evidence for the gardai. Yes, it would be grossly unfair to other residents to close it off. We already had the situation with the requests to close off the backlots on the grounds of anti-social behaviour, voted unanimously in favour by the adjoining residents wishing to extend their gardens into the public green open space of the estate. The closing of the laneway and other access routes were not an option and must remain so.

I agree with you,Raven. Let's all stick together, and keep our eyes and ears open and keep reporting these scumbags. Keep at the gardai, and kildare county council with regards the lighting and surveilance. Otherwise it'll get worse. I like living here, and I have no intention on letting these gits intimidate people like this.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I come back from a weeks holiday to the view of a burnt out car at the end of my road.
    It's disheartening and depressing.

I regularly use that lane way.
    Two members of my family use it daily to get to work.
    WE would be dead against any move to close it off.
    Why should we, law abiding citizens, have to suffer because of these louts?
    There must be another way to tackle the problem on that lane.

Has there been any word on whither this guy has been arrested yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

Any other people I have spoken to in The Walled Gardens are very much against closing the laneway. Apart from its use as an exit route, it is also used by a network of families and friends within The Walled Gardens and nearby parts of Castletown estate.

It is also a designated open space for all residents of the estate.

Everyone should vote no on any alleged petition put forward to close off the laneways. We would only be pandering to these scumbags instead of actually tackling the problem. What do ya have to do to get arrested! How bad does it have to get! Burning out peoples cars obviously doesn't count!

• Advertisement

302572_176279335786501_100002133060847_364111_1947978992_n.jpg

292078_176278469119921_100002133060847_364107_1549534710_n.jpg

Advertisement