Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glandore

Options
  • 14-03-2010 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I want to holiday at home this year with the family (me 41, wife 41, son 9 and daughter 5) and fancy 2 weeks in a cottage in Glandore but can't find anything within walking distance of the village/beach for less than €800 a week.

I like the way Glandore is secluded but very focused on holiday makers with a couple of pubs and a yacht club where my young lad can do one or two weeks sailing lessons.

Anyone here got any ideas or know anyone who'd like to rent their house in Glandore for the last two weeks of August? Walking distance (max 5 min) to the village is essential. I'm not interested in being a taxi driver for two weeks running to and fro all day every day.

Also intersted in any alternative ideas you might have which would offer something close to Glandore.

Regards,

Ben

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

Being honest finding something that close to the village might be tough. Did you have a look at Leap or Union Hall? I know they might be a bit of a spin for you but might be worth it. My grandparents live halfway between Glandore and Leap, on the road up by the old school if you know it, there seems to be alot of holiday homes springing up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Thaks Rebel,

I kind of have my heart set on "central Glandore" if such a thing exists!! Union Hall is fantastic but our holidays revolve around the kids so the beach and sailing will be the main event every day which would mean loading up the car and/or ferrying over and back from Union Hlal to Glandore several times a day which I really don't want to do. I really just want to be able to stroll into Glandore and for my son to be able to cycle around and come and go from the house to sailing and the beach as I'm sure he'll make friends and they'll be playing there.

I'm Dublin based but my Mum is from Drinagh and I spent 6 summer holidays in my teens (all of July and August) near Innishannon and rowed in the west Cork regatta's for Kilmacsimon Quay U16's so know and love West Cork from Sherkin Island to Kinsale and everwhere in between.

If I can't get something within walking distance of Glandore we'll probably head to the Sun in Spain or France for a couple of weeks instead but it would very much be our 2nd prefercence.

Ben.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Have you tried the apartments/cottages in the Marine? They used to be a hotel but have built cottages/apartments in the last few years. Have stayed in them before and they are lovely.

http://www.themarine.ie/

Thanks Trotter, I just booked a cottage at the Marine. Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

is there a beach in glandore?????

http://sites.google.com/site/swcyra/Home/fixtures-2010

in case ye want to catch a regatta

• Advertisement

Hi Balmed Out,

I spent 6 whole summers in Kilmacsimon Quay and was there in 1984 when the club was started and the first regatta was held. I rowed for them for a couple of years at U16 (I think!!) up and down the West Cork coastline every weekend and loved every minute of it. That's part of the reason I want to return to Glandore for a couple of weeks and for my two kids (9 & 5) to get a feelfor and love of West Cork.

I'll try and get to the Sherkin regatta as it's on during our stay in Glandore. Looking forward to it already!!

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Balmed Out wrote: »
    is there a beach in glandore?????

http://sites.google.com/site/swcyra/Home/fixtures-2010

in case ye want to catch a regatta

Yep, there is, but it's quite small. You'll see a small sign for it on the side of the road, just follow the steps down to it.

A nicer beach, with a lifeguard in the summer, can be found in Rosscarbery, it's known locally as "The Warren".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

But the nicest beach in the area can be found 3 beaches down from the warren, past owenahincha, past castlefrek / longstrand to the red strand. Its got a rocky outcrop which shelters the water making it normally very good for swimming and its got spectacular views of the galley head peninsula and lighthouse. Though the warren is better for walks.

Advertisement